web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Made a service call last week involving a problem reported that a printer, postage machine, fax, and POS Terminal at the same wallplate were not working. I found that some one had plugged the postage machine, fax, and POS Terminal into the ca5 data jack (using a splitter)and the printer into the 8 pin voice jack (because it fit). I replaced the 8 pin voice jack with 3 - 6 pin jacks, one for each of the devices. This experience conviced me to not use cat5e or cat6 jacks for voice even if the customer wants cat5 or 6 cable for voice as well as data. On another job currently in progress, the customer agreed with my suggestion to use 6 pin jacks for the voice cables even though all the cable was cat6. I did not try to talk him out of using cat6 for voice as the IT guy had suggested that all cat 6 be used.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by MooreTel:
OK, Jeff. You're a computer guy. What if some nitwit plugs a PC into a 8C phone jack that is connected to a POTS line. What kind of damage will be done to the PC with 90 volts ringing into it?
Probably nothing at all. Since the ringing will occur on pins 4,5 of the NIC, which are pretty much dead (dummy) contacts anyway. Should it cause damage, more than likely you can replace the card with another. Usually a 10 dollar fix not including the labor.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
That may be true. But consider the "down time" of the PC & you know WHO will be blamed for the snafu and it won't be their CG.

If I was ever to take the new "Standard" route, at the very least, the client would be signing a waiver ahead of time to cover MY butt.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Apart from perhaps not damaging the PC, a certain employee had to deal with not getting faxed orders and not being able to print to that printer and a lot of was time spent trying to figure out what was wrong before calling me, and they had to move heavy furniture around to get at the wallplate and then my service call charge. All that could have been avoided by using 6 pin jacks for the telco equipment in the first place. I am convinced that is the way to do it.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
originally posted by rustynails:
Probably nothing at all. Since the ringing will occur on pins 4,5 of the NIC, which are pretty much dead (dummy) contacts anyway. Should it cause damage, more than likely you can replace the card with another. Usually a 10 dollar fix not including the labor.
Gigabit ethernet is the norm now for most newer equipment, and it uses all four pairs. How well the ASIC line drivers ("protected" by 1/16th watt pull-down resistors) can handle 90VAC I honestly don't know, but I'd rather not find out the hard way, especially on an integrated (on-the-motherboard) NIC.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

I was in the computer repair business for a few years. My experience has been that people have just as much of a problem with plugging their 6p silver satin modem cable into the PC Ethernet jack as they do using the wrong jack in a faceplate. Every computer that I saw with a 10/100 NIC has pins 4 and 5 shorted. I would occasionally get a call that someone took their computer back home after I repaired it and then their phones quit working. Since pins 4 and 5 are shorted, I never had a blown NIC after someone did this.

1000base-T NICs are probably a different story. I got out of the business before those became common.

-Nelson

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Originally posted by dtmf:
I don't think I've used cat3 for at least 3-4 years now. Whats up for discussion is the jacks used for voice.
So are you terminating everything on patch panels, then (I hope your answer is "no"), or are you putting "voice" cables on 110 blocks instead of 66 blocks? We all have seen the discussion of how using Cat 5 for voice has no benefit, and it's a pain to terminate on 66 blocks.

Justin

OK, I have to ask: What is an RJ45C jack?
Ed, the RJ45C is a surface mount. The RJ45W is a wall mount. (For wall-mount computers)

Sheesh...didn't you know that?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Wall mount computer ... Isn't that what you'd call a VoIP phone? :dance:

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OR maybe, an alarm central control?

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,307
Posts638,895
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,999 Shoretel
190,187 CTX100 install
188,355 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (BobRobert), 96 guests, and 157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024