web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Over the years, I've been told by local inspectors that structured cabling must be supported every 4'. I took their word for it and never bothered researching.

Recently, an issue came up with spacing (ceiling beams are 6' o/c) so I decided to actually open the NEC and read about it. I couldn't seem to find anything referencing distance between supports, other than "properly supported".

So...what gives? Is there an actual code section that defines "properly supported" or have the inspectors been misinformed all these years?

:confused: :shrug:

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'm pretty sure the NEC says no more that 4 and a half feet, but no idea what section I found it in. I do know it wasn't section 800 I'm thinking it was in resident electrical.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
We always used two supports for every 10' length of pipe. Two feet off one end, then four feet to the next support, then two feet to the end. My copy of the NEC is from 1975 or there about, so I wouldn't bother looking through it.

I'll see if I can find the spot in the code online, or in a more modern version of the code.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
I'm not asking about conduit (nor residential), I'm asking about low-voltage (voice/data/cctv) cabling not in conduit.

I've been told time & time again by (almost) every inspector "Supported every 4'...it's the code"...but I can't seem to find this magic number anywhere in the code.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
I know you weren't asking about residential electical, I just stated that is the only place in the NEC that states the distance on a horizontal run. The NEC doesn't specifiy spacing of low voltage wiring. I'm sure BICSI does, but I wouldn't know what it is. I've always gone by 42", but that's from the Bell days.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
So is the determination up the the inspector or could this be a "local code" thing (or is the inspector talking out of his arse)?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Can the inspector produce documentation to back up his claim? If he says that it is listed in the NEC, he should be able to tell you where to find it.

I Love FEATURE 00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danny_Ocean:
[QB] (ceiling beams are 6' o/c)

Move each ceiling beam back 2 feet, use the proper rings or j's to support and be done with it....

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I've got an old copy of the EIA/TIA specs. The 569 spec says something about spacing of supports every 1.5 meters (5 feet).

There's probably more info there, but...

EIA/TIA/BICSI, as Bill said, would not be quoted by an electrical inspector - unless it is a local code requirement.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danny_Ocean:
[QB] (ceiling beams are 6' o/c)

Move each ceiling beam back 2 feet, use the proper rings or j's to support and be done with it....
At this point it would be much simpler to simply add a new beam midway between the existing, then you could support every 3 feet! :toothy:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,372 Shoretel
189,055 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024