Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a client who is building an addition to his house. He's putting in two home theater areas (one kind of high end, one low end). The AV/network/telco utility closet is right by the main home theater area. The TV is going on one wall about 20' away from the AV/network/telco utility closet. My thought was to purchase one 25' HDMI cable and put in an HDMI Coupler keystone, to hook up his new flat panel TV that is going on the wall back to the AV closet where the receivers/BD players and all that stuff is.

He has a second home theatre on the first floor about 50' cable length away from the AV closet. I've read conflicting stories when doing a Google search about HDMI max cable length, most of them saying technically the HDMI spec doesn't have a maximum cable length, but a spec for loss in order to stay compliant with the HDMI standard.

Are 50' unamped HDMI cables okay for that length? Is it necessary to get HDMI baluns & CAT5e to hook up that TV?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'd go with the baluns, not because of the distance (although that's a good enough reason on its own), but for ease of installation. Fishing 1 or 2 UTP cables is going to be significantly easier than fishing a connectorized HDMI cable.

--
- Adam
hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
I forgot to mention that the drywall is not up yet. So running cables is a sinch. I believe the EC will run the cable himself. The baluns I looked at seemed to be priced from $100 to the sky is the limit. Wasn't sure if there was a big difference between them or not.

I've used some of the CAT5 Extenders from CE Labs with very good success.

https://www.celabs.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=62
(second item down on the page)

Bill

Instead of having him run the cable, ask if he can run central vacuum tubing between the locations, with a pull string installed. It's rated for in-wall use, and its big enough to pull connectorized cables through after the fact, in case you want to add or change technologies.

If you want to have wall plates on either end, make sure that he doesn't install actual vacuum mounting plates, because then you won't be able to fit a cover plate that protrudes back into the wall. Have him leave the conduit stub almost flush with the stud, and hang a 2-gang mud ring next to it. Easy and future-proof.

--
- Adam
No

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Rover88:
I've used some of the CAT5 Extenders from CE Labs with very good success.

https://www.celabs.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=62
(second item down on the page)

Bill
Interesting. One CAT5e run is kind of nice. All of the other units I saw required 2 CAT6. These are only HDMI 1.3. Does that matter? I know 1.4 spec is out now.

The walls of the addition are poured concrete inside of styrofoam concrete forms. I didn't see any central vac lines installed, though that may have been later. My client did mention about having a central vac installed. My guess is that all of the ports for the central vac will be installed into interior walls, which the TV and AV equipment is not mounted on.

I've runned 50ft HDMI without any problem with out picture degradation.

Also checkout www.cablewholesale.com for decent price on HDMI and other cables.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Nope, I run them all the time. Just ran 15 50ft HDMI to adapted DVI cables this week for a dental office. They work just fine.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,303 CTX100 install
187,082 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Toner), 143 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024