web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
OP Offline
Hi folks,
I know that you CAN take an existing CAT5 wire and "split" it so you don't need to run a separate pair of wires for voice...but is it smart to do so?

I've read on some sites people say that if you DO that, you'll likely get reduced data speed, perhaps poor voice quality, etc. In a nutshell, it's a jerry–rigged way to go, and if you're really concerned about performance, etc...don't do it - run a separate pair of wires for your telephone from the start.

Comments? "1st hand" experience?

Thanks!

Ed

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've done it more times than I can count with no negative effect. My house was wired with four pair DIW cable that was split. I never had any issues, even with VOIP phones on it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
You can't split C5 and remain C5 because it requires all 8 conductors. If you split the cable, you can only push C3.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Although it isn't recommended, it works fine. It's amazing what Ethernet will really tolerate. I have a 205' piece of 6-pr PE89 cat nothing to the garage and run 100meg Ethernet, one Partner phone and two analog stations with no issues.
Mike

OP Offline
Thanks gentlemen!

Dave S. - are you saying if I DO "split" the cable (which, in laymen terms, simply means taking a 4 pair, CAT5 cable and using 2 pair for data connectivity, and 1 pair for phone connectivity, right?), the data speed will be dramatically reduced???

Do I understand you correctly???

Ed

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
in my opinion its a bad practice , I had one here for while at the house but I wouldn't do it for a customer and I certainly wouldn't do it simply to save money it should be considered only when there is no other practical option

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
What everyone else said. Yes it works, I would not recommend it, but I have done it.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The original 568 spec allowed for this, except they wanted you to use an adaptor to pull out the blue/white and brown/white pairs. The idea was that the integrity of the cable remained intact all the way to the jack. What you plugged into the jack was your business.

10BaseT ran on pins 1,2,3,&6 (wh/or, wh/gn) - but that's a maximum of 10mbs. I don't believe you can push 100 mbs through on 2 pair, but you might.....

You also might be able to if you used the white/brown for voice- but all this depends on using older equipment.

The main point, as everyone has been saying, is that it's not recommended. It will certainly work. And if you were stuck - well, then the answer is maybe. At least for a short term solution.

For yourself - do what you want. A lot of residential will never run Internet much faster then 10 mbs anyway.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Here is my take:
10BASE-T is Cat3 and uses only two pair.
100BASE-T is Cat5 and requires all four pair.
100BASE-TX is Cat5 and uses only two pair but I'm not familiar with it.

I believe the reason many have success splitting the data cable is because many users are actually served very well by 10BASE-T. Actually, think of a 10/100 switch with many users. The backbone may be 100Mbps but if they all demand bandwidth at the same time, they are only going to get something close to 10Mbps and probably not even notice the difference.

Now think about your bandwidth to the internet. most of us don't have anything near 10Mbs! I have 6mbs max with cable and my son and I can both stream Netflix at the same time and we seldom have a problem. Now, if I could just get my neighbors onto a different node!

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Dave - i think you are wrong on the 4 pair thing .... my understanding is that fast ethernet / 100 Base T uses 2 pair... one for transmit and one for receive. When you step up to gigabit you use two pairs for transmit and two for receive.

But ... i could be wrong... i am a phone guy not a CG! :rofl:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 142 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024