web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
first time I have run across this, but I have a company insisting I use a braided type ground wire to ground my rack mounted IP Office. I didn't have much luck searching the internet. Anyone got a source? Ed???

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Try putting "grounding bond braid" in google, I found several types and sources.

Retired phone dude
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Amazon sells braided copper wire on spools and premade braided ground straps. Prices are not bad.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
just needed the right terminology. Thanks guys!

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
A braided ground strap is normally used to ground a componet to a rack or ground multiple racks to each other, not to a cold water pipe or ground rod.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
What's the advantage of the braided cable, as opposed to a stranded or solid wire?

Justin

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
More surface area, thus a better ground. Electricity travels on the surface of a wire not through its center. So stranded is better than solid, braided is better than stranded in therory.

www.myrandomviews

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Do a search for ladder rack grounding kits. I use the braided bonds to join rack sections. Black Box or Panduit come to mind.

More surface area, thus a better ground. Electricity travels on the surface of a wire not through its center. So stranded is better than solid, braided is better than stranded in therory.

Stop listening to those IT weanies! They don't know s***!

That's BS unless you are talking about RF. Besides, the ground screw on the IPO chassis is just a UL requirement, not something required for operation. It's required by the listing in case someone pulls the line cord of a wall mounted system thereby removing the ground provided through the electrical receptacle, allowing the premises wiring to "float". If the system equipment (any equipment) is rack mounted, the ground from the other rack components (including the PDU or outlet strips) will be in common with the rack through their mounting screws and provided to all other equipment. Providing a separate ground for a rack of equipment can actually cause problems if the rack ground is derived elsewhere than that of the electrical supply grounds due to stray currents. Those currents can damage equipment as I have related many times.

Further, if a rack contains no powered equipment, such as would be the case with a rack full of patch panels, a ground is neither required by the NEC or even necessary. The premises wiring has no electrical connection to the rack.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
God bless you, Hal. I'm so tired of companies selling hardware by creating potential hazards in their own minds. They do this in an effort to spook the IT bunch into buying their snake oil.

"Further, if a rack contains no powered equipment, such as would be the case with a rack full of patch panels, a ground is neither required by the NEC or even necessary. The premises wiring has no electrical connection to the rack."
Exactly. So with their mindset, I should also be bonding a metal 183A1 backboard that carries four 66 blocks? What about the metal BIX frames? Should those be bonded as well? Oh, and don't forget those metal shelving units in the warehouse. This whole thing is quickly becoming more of a joke on a daily basis.

A manufacturer comes up with a potential risk, develops a potential fix for this 'risk', sets up a booth at a seminar and the next thing you know, we have a new hazard. Such BS, yet so many people (even those who I thought were professionals) are falling for it.

The NEC is comprised of a board that almost completely exists of manufacturer executives. When things get slow, they simply invent some new risk, convince the NEC board of this risk and within a few years, their new toy is mandated. The NEC is one step below the crooked standard that our US Congress uses.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 102 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024