web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
What Hal & Ed both stated! aok

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Just to be clear... you guys are saying that grounding the equipment could cause more issues than not? I can see where the mounting of the equipment to a rack that is grounded should negate the need for a ground, that makes sense.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
"More surface area, thus a better ground. Electricity travels on the surface of a wire not through its center."

Hal; Had a friend of mine that is working for Edison as a cable splicer, he told me that was a true statement in so far as the cables used on the high voltage transmission towers. Solid is to heavy; and for this rteason they are hollow and mostly Alumanum.

Looks to me there are two different discussions going on. The need for a ground and the current flow over a wires surface.

It's true current flows over the surface, so the bigger the surface the more current it will handle.

The need for a separate ground on equipment, other than the 3rd prong, has been debated forever. All things being equal the 3rd prong on a plug should be the same potential as any other ground in a building. But should the grounds not be consistent or a bad joint in the ground that's where the trouble lies. That's why I prefer a ground from the power panel all the way to my equipment. Than I know I'm the same potential as the rest of the buildings grounds. If I get a dedicated source of power for my equipment and my equipment only, that also satisfies the grounding requirements. I'm finding more and more that is hard to get.

What causes the harm is mis-grounding. You want your equipment to be the same potential as any other ground, not better, not worse. That's the key.

EDIT: Want to ad. The proper way to check ground potential is to meg it to earth. Nobody does that anymore. A pretty good source is to drive a ground rod and the soil conditions dictate how deep or how many, than check your ground to the rods you've just driven, shouldn't be any more than a half ohm difference in the two, if there is you need to start looking for your grounding problem.

The statement as to how deep or how many relates to the following saying we had back in my Northwestern Bell days. Ground is ground the world around, except in the Nebraska sand hills. laugh

Retired phone dude
Thank you, Bill. Surface current is NOT isolated to RF.

And yes, mis-grounding IS a big problem...especially in CLEC COLOs. Jesus, these guys don't understand shit.

And if you have to ask why we don't use stranded for long wire runs (instead of just for local grounds, short patch cables and the like), then it's time you go back to class.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but I learned my stuff the real hard way.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
I can't see any reason why you would need stranded ground wire other than wanting some flexibility. Skin effect is actually more pronounced with stranded wire, so that can't be the reason for it's use.

Skin Effect is the phenomenon where AC signals will flow only along the outer skin of a conductor. The higher the frequency the more pronounced the effect. This is why coax for high frequency signals can have a copper plated steel core, and microwave transmitters use a hollow waveguide instead of cables. I did a quick search, and the skin depth for 300Mhz is about 4 microns and about 3 microns for 500Mhz, so it actually is an issue at the frequencies used for 10GBase-T.

It's true current flows over the surface... Thank you, Bill. Surface current is NOT isolated to RF.

Skin Effect is the phenomenon where AC signals will flow only along the outer skin of a conductor. The higher the frequency the more pronounced the effect.

At power line frequencies and audio frequencies skin effect is almost unmeasurable so don't even go there. This is the kind of nonsense Monster Cable (and others) use to suck people into spending $$$$ on gold plated oxygen free stranded audio cables.

Had a friend of mine that is working for Edison as a cable splicer, he told me that was a true statement in so far as the cables used on the high voltage transmission towers. Solid is too heavy and for this reason they are hollow and mostly Aluminum.

I've never heard of that. Aluminum yes. Like I said, at 60Hz it would make no difference. If they truly are using a hollow conductor it has to be for some other reason, possibly they are pumping a cooling fluid through it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by hbiss:
It's true current flows over the surface... Thank you, Bill. Surface current is NOT isolated to RF.

Skin Effect is the phenomenon where AC signals will flow only along the outer skin of a conductor. The higher the frequency the more pronounced the effect.

At power line frequencies and audio frequencies skin effect is almost unmeasurable so don't even go there. This is the kind of nonsense Monster Cable (and others) use to suck people into spending $$$$ on gold plated oxygen free stranded audio cables.

Had a friend of mine that is working for Edison as a cable splicer, he told me that was a true statement in so far as the cables used on the high voltage transmission towers. Solid is too heavy and for this reason they are hollow and mostly Aluminum.

I've never heard of that. Aluminum yes. Like I said, at 60Hz it would make no difference. If they truly are using a hollow conductor it has to be for some other reason, possibly they are pumping a cooling fluid through it.

-Hal
I share your opinion of "high end" audio cables, but nobody else hear was talking about audio or making claims of skin effect at audio frequencies.

Skin effect also wouldn't be an issue at 60Hz, but a quick Google search does turn up information on high voltage power lines being hollow to reduce the weight. The large diameter of the cable reduces corona losses, but has nothing to do with skin effect.

I share your opinion of "high end" audio cables, but nobody else hear was talking about audio or making claims of skin effect at audio frequencies.

My point was that even though audio (generally up to 20Khz) is much higher in frequency than what we are talking about here, the skin effect is not even a consideration. So why would it be at 60Hz? It's also easier to find information about skin effect as it relates to audio cables than power cables.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I was told that if you measure the circumference of a solid number six ground wire and then do the same with each individual strand of a stranded number six you will get a larger over all circumference plus in addition to the flexability of stranded.
PS: I did have a situation where my crew had to change out numerious solid ground wires to stranded per the inspector.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 13
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 106 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024