web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Just got two of the readers and two enclosures. I remember reading some document from ESI about the enclosure not interfering with the operation of the RF reading.... But I'm not using the RF reader part yet. I just want to use it as a doorphone, until we can afford to have a locksmith add electric strikes. The enclosure doesn't seem to have any provision to activate the call button.... Anyone have some further advice?

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Rob:

We've got the same enclosure and RFID reader installed on the outside of our office. The enclosure allows you to use your fob (or card) through the front of the enclosure. The enclosure also allows you to flip the front of the box open to use the call button as ESI stated. It's not the easiest thing in the world to open, but it does seem to be weather proof. We talked about putting a label on the outside of the enclosure stating how to open and lift the door. We don't get a lot of walk-in traffic, so it's not used much, usually UPS and FexEx knocks, and we "buzz" them in.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
OP Offline
I'm sure everyone walks around with the screwdriver you need to open it....

I notice it's made by somebody else, Hensel, and the instruction sheet has a very bad translation. I just wonder what ESI was thinking by adopting this enclosure....

I'm thinking of some sort of rod assembly drilled through the front....

Rob Cashman
The call button is setup in installer programming via the set or esi-access.

Drilling a hole over the cover makes it not so weather proof right? If it wont be in direct contact with the elements, I would not worry about it to much. If it is, you can get those 1/2 enclusures at an electrical supply store.

OP Offline
Originally posted by Sydeshow MO:
The call button is setup in installer programming via the set or esi-access.
Yeah, I was just wondering about that.... There are two buttons, and a sticker that says "Call". Like the proverbial "Any" key... Which one's the Call button?

Drilling a hole over the cover makes it not so weather proof right? If it wont be in direct contact with the elements, I would not worry about it to much. If it is, you can get those 1/2 enclusures at an electrical supply store.
We have two locations. One is at the front of the building, but it has a 3.5 foot overhang 10 feet up. The other is at the back, completely exposed.

We've figured out that the front probably is no biggie. It's also likely the least-used one, until we add the key fobs. The back is next to a loading dock, and will be used by FedEx, UPS and DHL. The solution above, posting instructions to "break the seal", is not terribly appealing. Vandalism isn't a big concern, but not out of the realm of possibility, and the screw holding the cover down certainly makes it more difficult to mess with the innards.

The hole I'm thinking of would be small and there would be the rod filling the gap....

Something else occurs to me - there's no provision in these enclosures for talking through it. Like holes or slots drilled/cut at angle, situated somewhere near the speaker so you can hear and talk through it. Sure you can key fob through it, but then again, I could mount it behind a window if that was my only goal - weatherproofing. But the intention of the device is a doorphone. Once again, as much as I like the ESI system... I wonder why they take a great idea and only take it half-way.

What exactly is this 1/2 enclosure you speak of?

Rob Cashman
i have used them, look at valcom or viking. mine is next to the door, i have not done the strike lock. i have a 4 foot overhang and i only have to worry about the rain, well not this year. the other key is 'future use' which means....it will intergate with the garage door remote :rofl: or ______ fill in something strange that you would not ever think of, like a time clock

Martin Wolfe
Wolfe Communications
Servicing the North Bay
Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Lake, San Francisco, Mendocino
ESI, Avaya, Star2Star,and Toshiba Installer
Rob... I dont know how to explain it but it looks like a tapered awning that would come over the top and taper down the sides.

Martin... All you have to worry about is the rain but "not this year". We have been getting smothered by rain the past month. I have been between Santa Rosa and San Rafael a few times just in the past two weeks and its been nothing but WET. I might be reading yer post a lil' off though bud so if I have, nevermind this wink

-MO

OP Offline
So in other words, stop thinking of complete enclosures, and start thinking of just a small roof to stop the vertical rain exposure....

Rob Cashman
Rob:

Take the little screw out of the bottom handle, that is used to "lock" the enclosure if you don't want to use the call button. Remove the screw, and the caller can lift the white "tab" or handle on the bottom to activate the call button.

I agree that it may not be the absolute best enclosure, but it works well for us.

The "other" button is for future use, so says ESI.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
marlon we have had snow, hail, floods and sun in 3 week time
i got my snowboard in my boat with a parka and sunblock :rofl:

Martin Wolfe
Wolfe Communications
Servicing the North Bay
Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Lake, San Francisco, Mendocino
ESI, Avaya, Star2Star,and Toshiba Installer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,077 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Carl Navarro, nortelvoip, Touch Tone Tommy, Toner), 113 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024