web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
chida66 Offline OP
OP Offline
One of my guys just cut a customer over to Grande Communications on a digital circuit broken out analog and the caller ID is not working.

The Grande tech said that the voltage they send is different from AT&T.

Does anyone know what the gain should be set to recieve caller ID?

This in on a C-class gen II

Thanks.

Field Tech/Sales - Reliant Communications
Austin, TX
ESI Dealer and service Toshiba, Coral systems.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If we have issues, we usually crank it all the way up, and work back from there.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ESI Tech support can adjust the system settings to accommodate for Grande's new and improved voltage. I have been through the process on a C-Class myself. It is trial and error. Document the time involved and charge the customer the full rate involved in retrofitting the CLEC's junk to keep things working as they were before. If Grande's service is cheaper it is because they get techs like you to make there stuff actually work for free. If Grande's service is better then why does everyone need to put their heads together to get it to work. If Grande's service is neither cheaper or better then just cut it back over to AT&T. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sorry to get wound up but I think field techs that have to make a CLEC's sales weasels crap work should get compensated. Been there!!

Originally posted by grider:

Sorry to get wound up but I think field techs that have to make a CLEC's sales weasels crap work should get compensated. Been there!!
clap clap clap clap clap

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
I agree with John. I have spent too many hours trying to fix the clec's problems at a customer's site. I let the customer know before they switch that if we have to come in and tweak our system to work with their new vendor that there will be hourly rates involved. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Tony the Phoneman
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
There is no voltage difference or gain adjustment that should be necessary to maintain national signaling standards. These are set forth and mandated by the FCC for all carriers. The more time that you spend trying to fix this, the more they are getting away with. They have an obligation to deliver the service at levels within FCC guidelines. Make them do it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Be careful what you believe. Just because a field tech says something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Caller ID is delivered via standard FSK (frequency shift key) not voltage. As a Grande Engineer, I can tell you we haven't made any changes to the FSK signaling on the network and we abide by all Bellcore standards. We have several transport modes that we deploy...TDM (lines, trunking, PRI etc), EoTDM and VoIP. I'd like to help you figure out what's going on with this problem if you'd like to contact me. I need to know who the customer is and I can find out what the transport is so we can resolve this issue for you and the customer efficiently. Thanks.

Crankshaft Welcome to the Tech Talk board.

Although I don't know the specifics in this case the circumstances parallel a common scenario many of us face as techs in the field. Specifically a traditional business is put together with a small but quality telephone system using several copper loop start trunk lines and dsl data connection. Everything works fine for the customer until a sales rep from "X" company prepares a deal for the customer involving a partial T-1 for data and the lines broken out for voice service. Sales rep gets contract signed and a cutover date is set. The phone system installer gets a phone call requiring his or her presence for the cutover. In most cases it is a shock to the customer that there will be a service call charge for the visit. That is the first charge the customer faces that wasn't discussed by the sales rep. The cutover date arrives and the techs from both the new service provider and the original phone system intall company arrive. The sales rep (weasel) is not there. He/She is on another location doing the sales pitch. Also, there is a CG figitting about borrowing tools of others and such. After is all said and done the CG and "X company tech" are headed for the door asap, leaving the phone guy behind to try and figure out why CID worked yesterday but not today. The customer wants it to work because the sales rep promised. The CG doesn't care and the X Tech only knows the 25 pair color code because he keeps a cheat sheet in his wallet (company issue). The blatently obvious problem is the delivery of service is different than the day before and since the phone guy either can't get anything but speculation from X Techs they end up here trying to find a way to adjust their equipment to adapt to the new service providers settings.

All we want as field techs is accurate information to work with. You speak intelligently and it appears you know your territory, but where are you at cutover time. I never get to speak with anyone of your credentials, all I ever end up working with is a circle jerk of Geeks, Weasels, Rookies & the Tech Support reception babe from Company X.

That is how we end up like this! :bang:

KLD Offline
Thank you, John. Well said.

Most CGs or X Techs are lost. The customer doesn't know. They just want it to work and save money.

Hi, Crankshaft. Welcome. Hope you can set an example for the other "X" companies.

Ken
---------
Great Post Grider, I have found the Weasels from CLEC company "X" & CLEC company "O" to be shivering under their desk as the T1/PRI install turns to #$%@
It's funny these CLEC companies have a Ratio of weasels to Field Techs of 100 to 1........

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024