web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#463713 12/06/07 08:01 AM
OP Offline
The 48-key at x100 is flashing its Hold button slowly. If I pick up, it says "Calls holding: 1" ... even though no calls are actually holding on any other stations. If I press Hold, it says "E1" and nothing happens.

Our reseller replaced the phone and the problem persisted. Their tech came out and rebooted the system, and the problem went away while he was here, but it returned again shortly after he left. I'm not sure he actually knew what was happening. Before I give him another minimum 2-hours labor for unplugging and replugging a power cord, thought I might check with you guys.

Anyone else actually seen this behavior and might know what causes it?

The system is an IVX S-class II.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What happens if you press hold then the 1 on the keypad??

OP Offline
Ah, thanks for asking.

If I press Hold then 1, as if to retrieve a held call, nothing happens. The display doesn't change, there's silence on the handset, and the button keeps flashing.

OP Offline
Also, sorry, the system in question is an E-class Generation II. Had it confused with the other office.

In the display where it says "calls holding 1" that is telling you how many calls are on hold. The number beneath it indicates which LINE is being held. Next time this scenario occurs make sure you press the numeric button that corresponds to the number previously described. I'm guessing you will get nothing again but at least you will know your in the correct place to retrieve a call from HOLD.

The most common reason for this circumstance to occur is that within the previous minutes there actually was a real caller that was placed on HOLD. Then the caller got impatient and hung up. Due to improper balanced settings within your system combined with noise on the line from the service provider the system thinks there is a real caller still on hold and keeps the line intact. Enough about that.

If this requires attention from the service tech (and it will) give him a hint to adjust the line settings. It may have been done already and hopefully the problem goes away.

You may not be recieving a good disconnect from your dial tone provider

"E1" means that that extension put a call on "Exclusive Hold" on line 1.

This will happen if the extension user holds down the HOLD button for a few seconds.

To retrieve that exclusive hold call, that extension will have to hold down the HOLD button again, this should pick up that call and allow you to hang it up, making the light go away.

Aaron
I have a question for thornrag. What happens if the line being held doesn't get responded to by the person who put it on HOLD? The reason I ask is there is a timer setting within the system that delivers a held call to a specified location after the timer expires. Usually it is the mailbox of the extension that placed it on HOLD. If I remember correctly the max time setting is 960 seconds or 15 minutes.

When this happens is it eventually clearing itself or does it always need assistance by personnel.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Did your reseller call in to ESI tech support. I have seen whacky things with various fixed buttons that tech support fixed.

OP Offline
94astro, you nailed it. I *held down* Hold, and a silent line came back. I hung up, and the phone's behaving normally again.

Turns out, we've had a new person at that station, who seems to like to lean on the Hold button. Now we know how it's happening.

grider, normally-held calls are recalled or dropped according to the set timers. Apparently, however, exclusively-held calls are not. The CO line eventually disconnects, but the exclusive hold is never recalled, transferred, or cleared. This most recent incident persisted for more than a day and was cleared only just now, thanks to astro's tip.

Thanks guys for the help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024