web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ESI is a good system for the price. Very user friendly and one of the easiest systems to program both on the user and technician side. Customers think it's great. That being said it is also one of the quirkiest systems around and their VOIP and computer intergration fall around par level. The Cisco, Shoretel, Avaya, and Nortel do a better job and are much more stable, however there is a price difference. As a technian I just spent a full day reprogramming a 85 phone site because the hard drive crashed after two years. We had a backup of the whole system, however the hard drive that ESI sent was a higher revision and cannot be dropped down to a lower revision. This was found out after ESI tech support tried two hours with ESI because they thought it could be. Meanwhile the customer is down this whole time. Also they now do not send older release hard drives so now your backups are useless if the hard drive crashes. This is just many of the annoyances of this system. If you look at all the legacy products that ESI has you'll understand why they can't keep up. Why do you have to initialize a system with simple upgrades. That means losing all your data. Can you keep any of it? No. This system is just simply poorly engineered on the backend, however it does offer a lot of great features. Bottom line you get what you pay for.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

We've been bitten by the old/new software version thing too phestus..... All the better reason to keep all of your systems on the latest software revisions when they come out. We include that in our service plans, and for others, we call every quarter or so and recommend a software upgrade if it's available. Sometimes we'll offer a discount rate just to get on site and update. Usually other issues or sales come of the call.

That is definitely a shortcoming, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them poorly engineered, honestly there are few other systems on the market that allow you to migrate up through all of the system sizes (accept for the legacy S-Class) and still keep phones, port cards, etc.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ESI is a good system for the price. Very user friendly and one of the easiest systems to program both on the user and technician side. Customers think it's great.

This system is just simply poorly engineered on the backend, however it does offer a lot of great features. Bottom line you get what you pay for.

I see those two statements as being a bit contradictory.

As far as the 85 user site is concerned which system was that. By that I mean was it the IP200 you have discussed previously or one of ESI's other system types?

Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't you have loaded the older system software on the new hardrive and then uploaded the backup? We used to be able to ymodem the system software onto the harddrive then upload the backup. If memory serves there is like 3-5 locations where is one doesn't load after 3-5 attempts it loads the next location?

Besides my solution to this has been to get the same hardrive and dupe it. So far it's worked for IVX128's and the Voiceworks 16 systems.

That is also why ESI has begun offering the MMM or Mirrored Memory Module, which serves as a RAID setup to mirror both hard drives at all times and if one fails, simply move the secondary into the primary position, install a new secondary, and Viola! Everything is back on-line. ESI has also started offering solid state drives in place of the regular spinning platter drives that most of us are used to since solid state drives have no moving parts, the occurrence of failure is greatly reduced, and performance is also boosted usually at least 3-5 times overall. I am no installer, but I have been working very closely with my installer for the past two years learning every aspect of the system I can and if I were to learn any more about the system, I would be just as well off to become an installer for ESI systems. The systems are so easy to understand and ESI has worked diligently on any problems that I have occurred in the past 2 years with this system and have come up with viable solutions that make sense even from a Computer Systems Administrators standpoint. Basically, all systems are going to have their "quirks", but this system is very well engineered and very well feature equipped (I usually tell people that this system is the fully loaded Hummer H1 of business phone systems) and I have yet to see a better system with more features, additional options, and simple expandability.

Actually that is still an issues BCHC, even with mirrored memory, what happens is that the secondary drive (or backup) is an earlier software version than the new drive that ESI ships to you, so it's still not as simple as replacing the bad drive with a new one. The new drive can not auto sync with the secondary drive due to incompatible software versions. Our tech's fixed this same issue on an ESI-1000 recently, I'll have to ask them about the specifics on getting it up and running again and post.

On the other hand,if the drives are running the latest and greatest...... no problems. Like you said, every system manufacturer has "issues", but this is a case where you need to be updating software when ESI releases it!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
This is in fact still an issue. When this particular site crashed we specifically asked for the version hard drive that was originally installed because we have come across this in the past. When we were shipped the latest version ESI tech support said it would work just the same. We spent hours on the phone with tech support trying to get this to work and then an ESI engineer said it would not and the system would have to be programmed from scratch. It would of been nice to know this from the start. This system was a 128e GenII Feature Set I and was running the latest software at the time. We never upgraded it to Feature Set II becuase this would have initialized the system. Saying that the system is poorly engineered may be a little harsh, but the fact that the system has been in for a little over two years and the drive has crashed and the original software cannot be upgraded without initialization are some big problems. Now that ESI has abandoned the IP, E, and X class platforms where do these customers stand in the long run. I have a customer with an IP200E that has been in a little over four years and has a known issue with trunk to trunk transferring. There will no more patches for this system becuase it is now a legacy product. Are there any other phone systems that build their model systems this way?

I meant to say "we never upgraded to Feature Set III" because this would have initialized the system.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024