Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#466503 12/27/10 09:05 AM
JBRAM Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a customer with an ESI 600 with 2 PRI's. This system has been in a little over 3 years and the problem has happened about 6 or 8 times. There is a delay when answering. They complain that they answer and no one is there or it takes 5 seconds or so before they can hear one another. I have witnessed this problem. The quick fix is to disconnect the PRI from the ESI then hook it back up. We have also changed out the PRI card and of course it is fixed once the card comes back online. Does anyone have any ideas about this one?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#466504 12/27/10 09:51 AM
No errors in Alarm History or PRI Diagnostics reports?

If it's happening 6-8 times over three years is it mostly recently or spread out like once every four months which would be brutal to diagnose?

If it happens more frequently, like once a day, ESI can turn on PRI debug which would show what the telco and the 600 are doing at the start of a call. The problem is that can eat-up debug space quickly.

You probably have also checked that the telco has both circuits provisioned for NI-2, with FAS. You would probably have worse problems if either of those weren't the case.

-Paul
Alt Systems, Inc.
Buffalo, NY
#466505 12/27/10 10:06 AM
After re-reading your post, it sounds like once it starts happening, it keeps happening until disconnecting and reconnecting the PRI. While it's happening is the time to contact ESI and have them initiate PRI debug. That should reveal any signaling issues with clean, properly provisioned PRIs.

-Paul
Alt Systems, Inc.
Buffalo, NY
#466506 12/27/10 01:51 PM
Moderator-ESI - Executone
What Software are You running on the 600, ESI has come out with newer software that continuously looks for the D channel

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
#466507 12/27/10 03:00 PM
JBRAM Offline OP
OP Offline
The software has not been upgraded since the install in 2007. We have tried twice to upgrade the software but to no avail (for whatever reason); ESI has can't give me a reason why the software will not upload successfully. I actually have my Master Tech cert. but it does no good on this system because of the age of the software. I guess it would be a good idea to have ESI get into it..again. I have had them check it out before and they want to point to the circuit service provider...which is us. I am confident our circuit is clean. Since we have two PRIs in this system I can just flip them and of course the problem goes away b/c of the disconnect but then it returns at some point. Which tells me the problem stays with the DLC, but I have also (on seperate occasions) flipped the DLC cards and also replaced them and the problem eventually returns. The problem stays with incoming calls on the first DLC's card slot. Is there any way that this could possibly be related to a hard drive problem? We have only been doing ESI's for about 3 1/2 yrs and I have heard that the hard drives in ESI's can tend to die or start giving problems when they become 3-5 yrs old, which has already happened to us on one 600 we installed about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Thanks.

#466508 12/27/10 11:29 PM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I've never seen hard drive issues cause problems with a PRI. The fact that you've swapped DLC Cards rules them out.

I had one customer who had problem after problem and the telco kept saying they were clean. When the customer switched to a different provider for their PRI all of the problems disappeared.

Can you request the ILEC to swap the pairs that the T is delivered on? .... you may find that solves your problem.

#466509 12/28/10 12:34 AM
You could try putting an Adtran on the problem PRI, we have a few sites that were constantly dropping and locking up, we put the adtran , and haven't heard from them since.

Also, You say you are Master Tech, Look at Known Issues, there is one little blurb about PRI locking up( it really doesn't make any sense though.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
#466510 12/28/10 01:47 AM
JBRAM Offline OP
OP Offline
upstateny-We are the ILEC; we have tried this. Plus we flip the the T's and the problem will still occur at some point. We should have no problems with cable pairs (but nothing is 100%). In this government building we have at least 35 different circuits, an E911 center and many pots lines which are all clean.

nonameyet-It is difficult to find anyone with ESI who has any knowledge at all about PRI's; but I suppose that is not their job. I will probably give the Adtran a go since just about everything has been changed out already.

Side question: Have either of you, or anyone else for that matter, had problems like I mentioned above dealing with software not loading?

Thanks for your responses.

#466511 12/28/10 06:07 AM
NO problems like that here , seems like I remember there being something on the ESI webknowledge base about how to setup a system with 2 PRI's, may want to check that out.

#466512 12/28/10 06:21 AM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I have only seen very rare occasions when the software would not load.

That would be my first step going forward in case there was some revision to the PRI protocol in the newer software.

I think if it was an issue with having 2 PRI's and not being set up properly you would see the the issues on a more regular basis.

When i had my customer years ago that had repeated issues i escalated it with ESI and they definitely do have people who are well versed with PRI's .. you may want to address it with your sales rep and insist they escalate it.

The adtran is a good idea .... in my experience when there is a problem with the circuit it often takes a reset to clear things.. and you would most likely not have any issues with the link between the KSU and the Adtran ... the Adtran may be more forgiving of circuit issues or at least clear them and move on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,568 Shoretel
189,438 CTX100 install
187,602 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (www.telcom1.net), 171 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024