web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Here's the scenario, I have 3 IX-12IPKTD-E IP Phones that were previously setup on our corporate network. Recently, these three users moved to a remote office. I setup a site-to-site VPN using Cisco ASA 5500 series firewalls. At the remote site, all internal devices work correctly.

My issue is, the IP phones do not process the DHCP information handed out by my firewall. They sit at the "Waiting for response from DHCP Server" screen. I have verified on the ASA that the address is being handed out and that the correct MAC address of the phone is listed. So, it's as if the ASA is returning the config info, but the phone is not accepting it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Remote IP phones work waaaaaaaaay better with static IP addresses. Get some valid addresses at the new location and configure the phones manually. If the new location is on a different subnet from the main, remember to change the IP phones RTP port from 50002 to 50004 and 50006 on the second and third phone.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
OP Offline
I think that's what I'll do. It's weird a weird issue still. I ended up putting in a separate router with all functions tired off except DHCP and the phones grabbed and came right up.

Let me ask a quick question before I open up a new topic. Now that the phones are connected, I'm getting a lot of "jitter" when I make calls over the WAN. Local ext-to-ext are fine. I configured QoS on both sides as recommended. Any other ideas?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
There is no QOS over the public internet..vpn or not. It has to be a mangaged service such as a t-1, t-3 pri or metro e. And with managed services you still need a miminum bandwith (typically 256 base and 112 kb per voip call) for H.323 up and down to not have jitter or latency.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
Derrick, thanks for the reply. I set QoS using priority flow. The problem actually ended up being caused by our core switch at the corporate office that was performing Layer III routing for the network creating duplicate packets. I'm not sure why at this point, but I setup a separate router yesterday and everything cleared right up, no problems.

Still wish I could find a answer for the first question. had to setup another phone there this morning and it was a pain to have to setup a separate DHCP server just to setup a phone.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Remote phones work better with a static address. Since you have to configure the port anyway, configure the addy and save the time you would have spent on the DHCP server.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.

Moderated by  JBean3329 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024