Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by Fisher:
When 2 vonage customers call each other, is that an FXS-to-FXS call? Is vonage one of the exceptions like multitech to this rule?
Not really. Vonage is using the ATA to deliver dialtone via the FXS port. You could say it is an FXS to FXS call. But you would also have to say that every traditional call made via the local telco is an FXS to FXS.

Am I just making you more confused?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

SST Offline
I'm not familiar with Multitech. Maybe they sense voltage and the port changes gender like someone from Hollywood. But the original design was FXO= dial tone in and FXS= dial tone out.

On the Vonage issue, both customer ends would be FXS. But both circuits terminate in a Vonage switching office. I've never been in a Vonage CO and can only make an educated guess on their network topology.

If you add a second OPX circuit to the above example, say ext. 108, in Seattle. Both locations would be FXS in Seattle and Pittsburg. So, the guy in Pittsburg picks up his extension (107) and dials 108. Doing this, he calls the guy in Seattle. They are both FXS on their ends but they are actually being switched trough the LA PBX. Remember, PBX is a private branch exchange as apposed to a public Telco’s much larger branch exchange. How you are physically connected only depends on the technology you are using. Local Telco's use copper wire with repeaters, CLEC's use T1's, Cell phone companies use radio waves and Vonage uses Voip over the Internet. Typically.

Originally posted by SST:
I'm not familiar with Multitech. Maybe they sense voltage and the port changes gender like someone from Hollywood. But the original design was FXO= dial tone in and FXS= dial tone out.

On the Vonage issue, both customer ends would be FXS. But both circuits terminate in a Vonage switching office. I've never been in a Vonage CO and can only make an educated guess on their network topology.
Maybe Vonage is not FXS-to-FXS after all but maybe on Vonage switching office, it goes to the FXO before it goes to the other customer's FXS device.

Originally posted by SST:
If you add a second OPX circuit to the above example, say ext. 108, in Seattle. Both locations would be FXS in Seattle and Pittsburg. So, the guy in Pittsburg picks up his extension (107) and dials 108. Doing this, he calls the guy in Seattle. They are both FXS on their ends but they are actually being switched trough the LA PBX. Remember, PBX is a private branch exchange as apposed to a public Telco’s much larger branch exchange.
1. Is the PBX doing the switching or the VOIP FXO/FXS Networking device SPA-3000 is doing the switching 2 remote extensions?

2. The LA office PBX system is linked to the VOIP network from the FXO port? Since the FXO is dial tone in, you must provide dial tone with your PBX system right?

3. Does your LA office need 2 FXO ports to support 2 OPX? One FXO port for extension 107 in Pittsburg and another FXO port for extension 108 in Seattle?

4. So the entire concept is that in your Main LA office, you replace an analog phone plugged into your PBX with another FXO device called a SPA-3000.

The FXO port on the SPA-3000 will teleport (via internet) all calls both in and out from that extension to another FXS device on the internet.

Thanks.

We use Multi tech with FXS on both ends. That way it works the same for all users. The limitation is that the xfered calls to remote station comes in on the intercom, but it keeps it simple. The ports can work both ways, which keeps cost down.

And when using MultiTechs propritary Net Coder, it works fine without a VPN.

SST Offline
I would consider the Vonage switch to be on the FXO side and the customer to be on the FXS side.

1. PBX is a switch, so does the switching. The SPA-3000 is an adapter, so only converts digital packets to analog and vice versa.

2. Correct. My example is that the pbx port is an analog port, not a digital port.

3. Yes. Both ports are independent circuits.

4. Yes. The FXO interface connects to the FXS over the internet as an onramp connects to an off ramp over a freeway.

Hey, I am looking for a pbx system provider near Chicago. Do you guys have any idea about it and how much money I have to spend for 20 connections which are going to install in my office. I have been thinking about getting pbx system since a long time but now it’s time to get those connections stable at my office because my office employees are giving problems me on this matter.

https://www.voipphonesystemquote.com/

This topic is well over 5 years old. See the top of the category to start a new topic in the system your looking for information on.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,722 Shoretel
189,760 CTX100 install
187,921 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024