Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#471643 07/03/07 05:06 PM
jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been playing with my Xcelerator IP by Vertical for about a month now. The Xcelerator IP is both a SIP phone system and a router/firewall appliance.

I've used the system as my office router for awhile with no trouble and I also got a phone to register over the internet without VPN or static IPs (dynamic DNS and it works good)

Now, I've placed the unit behind my Netgear FVS318 router/firewall because I want to be able to VPN to my office when necessary. The configuaration works fine for LAN and I can also access both units remotely for admin purposes.

My goal is to have a remote phone connect to the Xcelerator. I've opened and forwarded ports for SIP. Specifically ports 5060-5061, 5004 and 10000-10004. But I have no luck getting the phone to register to the xcelerator.

I haven't found too much in the docs regarding this question. Most of the port forwarding for SIP I've found on the internet but I still need some more help.

So any ideas? Are there other ports I need to forward.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've ALWAYS had issues with a scenario like this. If the remote phone is behind a NAT and the server is not, you have a good chance of working OK.

However if the SIP server is behind a NAT, There's typically an issue. The only way I've been able to get a NAT to NAT issue to work is setting up a STUN Server or a SIP Proxy.

Best option:
I'd order two static IP's one for the FVS318, one for the Vertical unit.

OR you could try this. Set up the Vertical unit to act as the main router, disable DHCP on the LAN side. Next plug the FVS WAN port into the LAN port on the Vertical. Set a static IP on the WAN of the FVS. Set up a DMZ from the Vertical to the FVS.

This MAY work.

jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
THanks for the tip. I guess I need to get a STUN server. I've found a couple, just a quick download. Would the STUN server sit behind NAT. I'm assuming it's on the same LAN as the IP phone system. Are there public STUN servers i can use? I'm learning so thanks!!!

VoIP-Info: STUN Server

There's a link to some good info on STUN along with some public-use servers.

Better late then never smile

jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
yes, i've read through this stuff and used some of the stun servers listed but I couldn't get it to work. Vertical tells me I don't need a stun server! just to put the Xcelerator in the DMZ. That did not work either.

ahh, VoIP.

hmmm... you can't run your own stun server, you need to use one outside the network. It doesn't handle any traffic, just a quick ping every now and then to check your IP.

You shouldnt need dmz, the key is having the xcelerator know its own external IP. If you do that then it only needs 5060 + (the rtp ports, 10k or whatever).

Your device may have an option for 'wan external ip' or something like that, you should be able to use that to get the right effect...

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, "You are mad, you are not like us." -Abba Anthony
I have two 7504-00 Vertical phones at home on a Verizon FIOS and the Xcelerator on a fixed IP 10Base-T off a One Communication's T-1 with 768K and I get gitter! and echo I have tried different codecs and much more. I am over the puplic internet but I guess I am just not going to get a perfect solution this year. Maybe next

VC Offline
Hi Jsaad or any on this thread,
I tried to push the reset-button more than 4-5 times with each time holding the button for 30 seconds. I still couldn't get into the Xcelerator IP Router using default credentials (username:XXXXXXXXX and password:XXXXXXXXX). Appreciate if some body can help me with steps to reset my router successfully.

FORUM RULES: No posting of pass
words in the open forum!

Thanks

VC
Admin
Admin
You may get better results by starting a new thread instead of tacking on to a 4 year old one. Also please read the forum rules about posting passwords!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,602 Shoretel
189,485 CTX100 install
187,650 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 175 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024