web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
"Those who fail to pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it."
It has also been said that those who teach history are doomed to repeat it. :toothy:

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

So in my networking class we were talking about servers...and my teacher mentioned getting one of Microsoft's 'phone systems' to set up in the class. Lord help me...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Jeff, for Pete's sake keep your head down. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Originally posted by JordonJ:

However, as much as I hate to say it, VOIP is not going to go away. Too many IT and managers are swallowing the hype. Recently, a school in the UP put out a bid invitation, and guess what kind of phones were specified...VOIP (kind of odd considering that schools in this state aren't exactly in a position to throw money around...)

In a nutshell...schools get lots of federal money for IT gear, but no money for telcom gear. VOIP is IT gear, analog intercoms and phone systems are not.

Like it or not, the RJ-45 jack is the future.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
I wouldn't count on it. I remember years ago the new must have technology at that time was "digital". Most systems were digital in some way and all worked as well as another, but the ones that sold the best were the ones that said "digital" on them.

This just goes to show what the customer perception is. VoIP can mean different things to the educated but to the customer it means only one thing- it's something they should have. And as long as it has the VoIP tag on it that's what they want.

To answer your statement about schools getting federal money for IT gear, I doubt there is a list of approved phone systems. I think even a system with digital phones would qualify as long as it said VoIP somewhere on the box.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by hbiss:
To answer your statement about schools getting federal money for IT gear, I doubt there is a list of approved phone systems. I think even a system with digital phones would qualify as long as it said VoIP somewhere on the box.

-Hal
There's no need for a list of approved systems.
If it is IP based, it qualifies for federal funds by default as it is IP technology.

This has been an industry approach for the last several years. The Cisco-Berbee relationship is a good example of this approach. Avaya also uses this approach. As previously stated, it's easier/quicker/less cumbersome for school systems to get technology funds than it is to submit request for new comminucation systems which tend to get lost in the red tape.

Basically, if it connects to a network, sends data, and is routed through a switch, it is catogorized as IP gear and qualifies for federal technology funds.

Just my two cents...

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
There's no need for a list of approved systems... Basically, if it connects to a network, sends data, and is routed through a switch, it is catogorized as IP gear and qualifies for federal technology funds.

I can do that with a Partner. aok Guess I'm missing some markets.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
As previously stated, it's easier/quicker/less cumbersome for school systems to get technology funds than it is to submit request for new comminucation systems which tend to get lost in the red tape.
Wow, that's strange to hear. My company just completed installing a TDM system in a new middle school this summer and will be installing two more for this school system over the Christmas holiday break. These will be our 31st and 32nd system installations for them and they have absolutely no interest in any form of IP system equipment. I guess things are different at the other end of the state. :shrug:

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
KLD Offline
Hi, Rockmodule... welcome to the BB.

Now then, I hope you have a thick hide and a good sense of humor because you just have to have your tongue so far out in you cheek you can't chew your cud.... laugh

VoIP is like waving a red flag in the bulls' pasture. RJ45 is a poor subject also. Could get you run out of Dodge on a hitching rail. eek

As an electrical engineer you should know the rules change every day. Federal money for IT? Apparently it is in VA but out here in the real world away from DC Inside the Beltway where pigs wear lipstick it is rare to non-existent. My school district hasn't seen any .... we paid for it when we remodelled the school.

Anyway, stick around, don't take anything personal, and have a good time....we may even "learn ya" something about telecom.

clap :scratch: call

Ken
---------
Originally posted by KLD:
Hi, Rockmodule... welcome to the BB.

Now then, I hope you have a thick hide and a good sense of humor because you just have to have your tongue so far out in you cheek you can't chew your cud.... laugh

VoIP is like waving a red flag in the bulls' pasture. RJ45 is a poor subject also. Could get you run out of Dodge on a hitching rail. eek

As an electrical engineer you should know the rules change every day. Federal money for IT? Apparently it is in VA but out here in the real world away from DC Inside the Beltway where pigs wear lipstick it is rare to non-existent. My school district hasn't seen any .... we paid for it when we remodelled the school.

Anyway, stick around, don't take anything personal, and have a good time....we may even "learn ya" something about telecom.

clap :scratch: call
Thanks for the welcoming! I've been a lurker for quite some time, and chime in occasionally when time allows.

I'm not a big fan of VOIP, but accept the fact some people want it even when it's not the best solution. I liken it to optical patch cords some audiophiles use to interconnect their component audio systems that cost $200.00 each when any $2.00 sheilded patch cord with suffice.
:rolleyes:

Long live 1A2!!!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,723 Shoretel
189,766 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024