Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#473335 12/06/10 01:33 AM
Admin
OP Offline
Admin
There is a post in General section about Why NOT to buy an IP system To be fair with the VoIP installers I have started this thread to list advantages of VoIP. As with the other thread Please try to keep your comments to the product and not bash the technical ability of those who work in either environment.

[Linked Image from techstop101.com]

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#473336 12/06/10 08:42 AM
I am not sure if it is an inherent advantage, but nearly every manufacturer, major and not is moving into VoIP. Some are still coming out with digital systems or converged systems, but they are an afterthought from their VoIP operations and investment, or so it seems to me.

Steve

#473337 01/26/11 09:57 AM
Not sure if I should post or not... I know that VoIP seems much easier to install and I make more margins but my VoIP offerings are very non traditional. Had a friend go to Siemens OpenScape training last week and I am afraid to ask if he passed the test. What gets me is we saw it coming in the late 90s and have tried our best to hold the line with 3rd & 4th generation of digital products. I had a vision for my network and it included VoIP and I promise if you were to ask your clients to make a vision, voip would be first in mind. I can offer more P2P & Hosted if anyone wants to keep this open.

#473338 01/27/11 11:57 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I think there needs to be some distinction between the various "VOIP" systems. VOIP really isn't a system, but rather a type of signaling when it comes to talking about communications. If you compare a TDM system that uses digital signaling with a similar system using VOIP signaling, you won't find that much difference in day to day use. Having recently bid several TDM and VOIP systems to customers, what I can say is the TDM/Digital systems are less expensive to deploy and require less of a learning curve for the user. The VOIP systems on the otherhand are more expensive to deploy and require a bit more learning curve for the user, but offer the advantage of having more applications and great programming flexibility for setup. Myself, I see me still doing a lot of smaller digital systems for small business, but moving more towards a VOIP type system for larger businesses. I don't see moving away from PRI to SIP trunking either. Its not cost effective for businesses. HOSTED VOIP is a whole different animal, and I don't ever see me recommending to any of my customers to go that route.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#473339 01/27/11 02:41 PM
KLD Offline
Today a bank customer wanted a quote for budgetary purposes for a VoIP system for his whole bank....My question was why use VoIP sets throughout? He thought he had to pay for the "high dollar" VoIP sets everywhere like his neighbor bank did for a Crisco system....he was very pleased to here the real answer....only where they were needed.

So, fully VoIP or not? Go with an advanced TDM with VoIP capacity and get the best of both worlds..... :thumb:

Ken
---------
#473340 01/27/11 03:00 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I received a new product catalog from Viking Electronics and flipped through it looking to see any new products. Sure enough, they have 12 and 24 port "ring booster/shaper" units. Of course, they are rack-mounted with MSRP of about 25 Benjamins. Basically, per their own documentation, these devices are needed behind many VoIP 'systems' (with one of them being named) in order to support 'legacy' devices, such as single-line telephones, etc.

Shouldn't these 'systems' be able to ring a bell in a single-line telephone without having to purchase yet another 'server' to support what has been the industry-standard for over a century? Am I missing something?

IP is a great transmission medium, no doubt. The problem is that it is just that: A transmission medium. Once inside the four walls of an office, it offers no benefit whatsoever. If anything, it costs more money. I'm sure that in generations to come, this gap will narrow, but not until people learn what VoIP really is and what it can do.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#473341 01/28/11 02:08 AM
That there is precisely the issue. Grasping VOIP is a transmission medium..nothing more. Unfortunately a very PICKY medium for voice. I have no problem selling VOIP and making more money, but it takes SO much more to make it stable and reliable that why bother for internal voice? The sheer ignorance of the term VOIP thrown around by so-called "IT-professionals" is staggering. It's IP so it must be EASY.....ya.

Reminds me of this little Indian guy we installed a system for..he CONSTANTLY was saying, "VOIP means I get FLEA calls!" "VOIP is FLEA!" Ugh...

#473342 01/29/11 01:13 PM
I had not installed a phone system in over 15 years before I started my own business less than 12 months ago (I had been strictly a sales person). I waited 22 years to start my company and knowing what I know I was only going to support a product that was easy to install plus gave me a nice advantage in the 2-25 phone market. Anything larger I push IP Centrex and have for 3-4 years now... What I have come to believe in my constant screening process of products is P2P VoIP & RTP is going to provide an easier way to deploy and communicate via VoIP. My VoIP model is strictly server-less. I only keep a few phones, a router and a switch in stock. I can tell you I would not be on my own if I had to deal with what I have witnessed techs go through the last 20 years.

#473343 01/31/11 11:42 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
CNetworx,

you are talking about hosted VOIP right? Most of my customers would not see that as a cost effective solution.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#473344 02/02/11 08:36 AM
Z-Man..Yes I do support Hosted but I was talking mostly about transport methods.. My “key-system product” is P2P and by not needing KSU it makes the install much easier. The advantages of my VoIP model is it is easier to install, easier to use, easier to make changes to, easier to upgrade software, easier to train on and it makes me money.

RTP is a new upgrade for Asterisk and my P2P phones can migrate to Asterisk so I was hoping to have a response with the mentioning. I have heard some of the hosted providers brag about it during my screening process but I am sure this was all a function of their EdgeMarc router.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,782
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,792 Shoretel
188,962 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 177 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024