web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473534 06/24/11 05:25 AM
mj_wald Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone ever heard of a company called Ascom?

All I know is that the system is a Asterisk Box and they are using Dect Handsets.

Our management team purchaced it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#473535 06/24/11 06:14 AM
Awsome system, I've installed tons of them. What do you want to know about it?

Steve

Sales and Support in Central and North Florida for ESI, Cisco, Avaya, Ascom and LG-Ericsson IP Phone systems, Managed IT, Structured Cabling and Video Applications

www.CentralFloridaPhones.com
#473536 06/25/11 06:27 PM
I have one in one of our long term care facilities, I may be able to answer some questions as well.

#473537 06/26/11 07:39 AM
mj_wald Offline OP
OP Offline
cool,

So we already have a Asterisk back-bone connecting several legacy phone systems together. I even have a wifi phone hanging on one of them. How is this system different then what I already have in place?

Also, the wifi handset we are using has a few drawbacks.

1 Battery life is very short
2 they do not switch between access points well

ascom is selling us the i62 handsets, how do they fair? also they say they are dect, but do not use a base station?

#473538 06/26/11 05:10 PM
The i62 is WiFi, the d62 is the Dect version. These are very robust phones. They cost a lot more than others, but they can withstand a lot of abuse. I would say the battery life is good. Users in my case can go an entire shift without swapping batteries.

My system came with an AA50 from Digium, but if you already have an Asterisk system to hang your phones on, then you shouldn't be buying an Asterisk box with this system. I guess it doesn't hurt, but you don't need it.

I would recommend the UPAC, especially with the Dect phones. The UPAC provides features that you normally wouldn't have, such as messaging and PTT.

In my case there are issues with the analog integration that we are still working out and the AA50 has been buggy, but if you are pure SIP and you have a stable Asterisk deployment then I think it's a great system.

Just a note that you can find nearly identical phones from Aastra and Ericsson. I'm not sure who own what and who builds product for who, but they all have interchangeable products for Dect and WiFi.

#473539 06/28/11 08:43 AM
mj_wald Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, they said Dect, the inventory list that I have refers to 18 ascom i62 Messenger and 3 battery packs for d62. So I guess I will see when it gets here.

I do not see a AA50 OR a UPAC, what are they?

I would like them to just hook up to our current Asterisk boxes using IAX, that would be a lot easier then trying to get a new PRI out of our current PBX.

How good do they change access points? The wifi handsets that we currently have do not do it very smoothly.

#473540 06/29/11 03:03 AM
If they are selling you the i62, then I don't know why Dect is being mentioned. If you aren't buying Dect APs, then the Dect phones wouldn't do you much good.

The AA50 is an Asterisk appliance from Digium, but there are other Asterisk gateways they may sell depending on what you are integrating to. The UPAC provides extra functionality for the phones. For example, if you have a conference bridge on your Asterisk box, the UPAC can add push-to-talk for your phones. It will also do firmware updates, change your hot keys, apply templates for your phones etc. Basically it provides you with additional features and management for the phones.

The Dect phones that I have used generally roam very well. Once in awhile they are a bit sticky. I don't know how the WiFi version fares with roaming, but I would suspect a lot of that is going to be dependent on your wireless setup. Different wireless vendors have features that can make wireless clients either roam more or less aggressively. If you have coverage gaps, or APs that overlap on the same channels, you can't really blame the phones if they don't roam properly. That's the advantage of going with the Dect version, you have a dedicated wireless infrastructure for the phones. Makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier.

#473541 06/29/11 07:42 AM
mj_wald Offline OP
OP Offline
ohhh, I do not know what channels the AP's are on.

I am a bit confused on dect over wifi.

#473542 06/29/11 08:40 AM
The phones for both are basically the same, they are SIP in both cases. Dect and WiFi use different radios, so you cannot have a Dect phone without Dect APs. They do not interfere with one another, so you can have 802.11a/b/g/n APs and Dect APs in the same environment.

If you are running voice over WiFi, your wireless design becomes a lot more important. You need to look at QoS, adequate saturation for roaming, no overlapping channels, and dropping the transmit power on the APs to match the WiFi phones. If you have issues with your current WiFi phones no roaming well, it may have everything to do with your wireless setup and nothing to do with the phones. Changing phones may not solve anything.

#473543 06/29/11 08:49 AM
mj_wald Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, you have been a great help.

But all in all you like the Ascom system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024