web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
as you guys know my day gig is keeping the phones ringing and computers humming for a small school district. We are looking at going VOIP. We have 3 schools and 1 admin office. All locations have 4-6 POTS lines and 20 or so phones.
what we are looking for is eliminating the aging systems and going with a single VOIP solution. A consultant mentionned AsteriskNow. Ive been looking at it, but i haven't had the chance to play with it yet so im not sure. Would we be better off with a turnkey system like trixbox?

sorry for the newb questions, until now my only experience is IPK and Norstar

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Asterisk can certainly work for you - although I'd suggest hiring a company that deals specifically with the product as opposed to rolling it out yourself.

However, don't use Trixbox; development has completely stopped with the CE edition and the "Pro" edition is clunky and pricey.

I'd recommend the FreePBX distro which is very well supported.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
OP Offline
thanks for the advice. i will keep you posted as to the final descision!

Jay, a recovering IT guy
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Since Asterisk is open source, you can download the manual for free. And there are a pile of apps that have been developed to go with it. Google is your friend.

That said, Toner's advice is valid. Do you REALLY have time to learn a whole new phone system? You're probably being hit with the same cut backs that most school systems in the U.S. are and your dept is short-handed. (always wondered who coined that term, my hands reach just fine from my wrists to my fingernails, and I've never known of hands that don't smile )

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I would make sure whatever system you decide on more than one company can service it in the area. You will find that the "open source" stuff is VERY reminiscent of the 80's where everyone had their little custom program for everything.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I would contact Jim James from this board .... he used to work for an ESI reseller then became a channel manager for Ipitomy ... which is open source like asterisk..... he is now out of the telcom industry.

There is a reason why customers use phone systems not software on a computer trying to emulate a phone system!

Me again. upstateny has another valid point. Plain old phone systems CAN be used with VOIP. And many are now VOIP capable as built. You are probably aware of the drawbacks. VOIP depends on bandwith, and RELIABLE internet connections. Broadband failure, even in 1 city/town, and you're down for the count! Failure of 1 link, that school is out of communication. Not a good thing for the public education system. COPPER IS YOUR FRIEND! As are TDM phone systems! Jumping into bed with the latest and greatest isn't always a good idea.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Last summer we installed switched Ethernet service at every school in a large city for their VOIP system. During the school year we have been returning to install 4 copper pots lines at each location for E911 because the PSAP was getting the ALI info for the main building and not the actual school that needed their service.

It may just be a programming thing, but it's something to think about.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,329 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024