Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
I just purchased a splice kit for 100 pair direct burial cable. This is made by Communications Technology Corp., and the faxed photocopy of the installation instructions leave a lot to be desired. Can anyone direct me to some proper instructions on how to prep and install this? Last ones I used were the 3M kits back in the late '70s. This enclosure I have is the J.C. Closure II. Echo II?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline
Is it a clear tube with end-caps and two pour holes? split down the middle axis and will snap together? with hose clamps for each end?
Two part filler epoxy?

Never seen one ! :toothy:

No, if that is it --- use a floating bond, wrap the mesh, open the plugs to fit the cable, snap and clamp, and pour. Quick and easy.

Ken
---------
byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
This is what I have. Sorry about the poor quality photo, but I had only a cereal box digital camera handy. The filler is a re-enterable goop of some kind. Do you bring the 2x 100 pair cables to be spliced through the big rectangular shaped bulge on the one end cap? https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/005.jpg

KLD Offline
Bring you cable in the flat end, the "Bung" is the "pour" end. The black "chewing gum" is to seal the cables where they enter. Your bonding and grounding should already be done.

Then the goop. Let set so all the air gets out.

Serves up to 100 pr.

Leftovers to the trash.

Sounds like I'm giving you a cake recipe.

Ken
---------
byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
The cable doesn't come in the end that has the multiple "teats' sticking out? What prevents water from leaking in past the wire through the end cap in the future? I sure wish they provided more information with this thing.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The filling compound fully surrounds the cables as they enter the closure, effectively sealing out any water. The "teats" are for buried drop wires to enter if the splice is being used as a distribution poing. Make sure that you scuff the sheath of the cables where they enter with emory cloth. This will ensure that the compound bonds with the jacket and seals it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies / info.
How's the weather down in Washington Ed? I was down there the first two weeks of July performing at the Smithsonian FolkLife Festival; Sure was hot and humid down there at that time. At home here we now have about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
Will that gel set at sub freezing temperatures?

Byacey:

Mid-summer can be hot and humid here. It's not uncommon to see temperatures in the high 90's then. Humidity plays a big factor in how sticky it is, but summer in DC is generally expected to be sticky and sweaty. I feel that it takes a lot less time to cool off than it does to warm up, so I will stay here for now. At least we get all four seasons, although some might be abbreviated.

It was 83 degrees (F) according to the bank sign near my house today, even warmer temp is expected on Saturday. That should be the official end of our warm weather from what I can tell since it looks like low-mid 60's next week and downhill from there.

As for your subsequent post, yes, the gel will set in sub-freezing temperatures but you need to take as many measures as possible to keep the splice protected from the elements. It's actually a chemical reaction that is occuring so it's pretty tolerant to the elements. Heat helps to cure the encapsulating material more quickly. If you have the ability to keep the splice warm (+60 F) for an hour or so, you will be assured that the encapsulant material will do it's job. If you can't keep it warm, do the best you can and then then bury the splice as quickly as you can after the pour to protect it from the elements.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
byacey Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it necessary to use the parrafin filled "B" caps for the connections? Or is this just being redundant on account of the enclosure gel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,805
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,060 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, dexman, Ruben, PhoneGuy827), 191 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024