web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Glen C Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I have two phone lines coming in to my house underground. They're both 2 pair with a heavy steel braid. It looks like solid #18 if I had to guess. I can check it again tomorrow.

I need to make an underground splice, and move these cables 25' underground to a new location. that means I need 50' of this type of cable and a procedure for a good underground splice.

BTW, is the braid some type of drain wire or strictly for protection? These wires will be passing under what will soon be a 5" slab

Any help would be much appreciated

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
call in someone qualified to do it for you

you don't want a splice under the slab , best not to splice at all and just run new cable

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Online Content
The braid is just for bonding/grounding. You'd need some 2 pair buried drop and I have had good luck with Serviseal's for closures. As Skip stated, get someone who knows what they are doing or you'll be paying more later. Also this drop belongs to the phone company, from your description, call them and tell them you need it relocated due to construction.

Retired phone dude
Glen C Offline OP
OP Offline
The phone company won't touch the job since I'm not a customer. My phone service currently comes in on the CATV line. I'm not sure how involved the cable company is going to want to get in this project.

I don't think re pulling is a great option here. I live on the side of a mountain and cutting a new ditch would be incredibly difficult at this stage.

The thought of having to pay someone a couple hundred dollars to splice 4 wires seems a little silly to me. I may be able to dig back enough to get the splice away from the pour though.

Online Content
Originally posted by Glen C:

The thought of having to pay someone a couple hundred dollars to splice 4 wires seems a little silly to me. I may be able to dig back enough to get the splice away from the pour though.
It's even more silly to have to come back later, find the trouble spot and fix it. Do you know how to bond it? Do you have the proper crimpers and connectors? Do you have the proper closures? Do you know the right drop wire to get?

No matter who's service you're using, if this is from the cable terminal to your house it still belongs to the phone company.

Retired phone dude
The phone company won't touch the job since I'm not a customer. My phone service currently comes in on the CATV line. I'm not sure how involved the cable company is going to want to get in this project.

So then what the heck are you worrying about a probably 50 year old UG phone service wire that isn't even being used??

Bury some 2" PVC conduit under the slab before you pour. That way if you go back to the telco sombody can pull a new wire then. You are an electrician, you should know how to do that.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Glen C Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys,

Thanks for the turn out. I dug up a procedure on line using "click it's" (enclosure) and UY2 connectors. clicky I'll go ahead and purchase the specific crimp tool while I'm at it. If I could just get my hands on 50' of this braided 2 pair burial drop cable (#18/#20 solid) I think I could handle the splice.

Any ideas on where to pick up a small length of cable?

"hbiss" had a pretty good idea, it's concievable that I could run at least a 1" conduit out past the slab before making the splice. I'd still like to get the cable reconnected and run to it's new location rather than leaving it in the ground.

Being a trades person I understand where you guys are coming from on getting a professional out to do the job, but after spending 20 minutes on the phone with the phone company and being transfered to six different departments I was ready to seek out other alternatives. I understand that the phone company owns this drop, I just didn't get why they wouldn't come out and move it?

I appreciate all the advise so far. Keep it coming

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Glen:

It seems as if you really want to move forward with this, so we certainly aren't going to stand in your way.

The problem is that the type of cable you have mentioned is no longer made to the best of my knowledge. I also don't think that UY's will be your best choice of connector. UR2 connectors handle a wider range of wire sizes.

The Click-It enclosure is the one we use and they work very well. I have plenty of the new style buried drop wire in stock if you'd like to buy some. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can discuss the details. I've also seen three pair buried drop wire for sale by the foot at Lowe's stores around here.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Online Content
Sheath is sheath, you don't need an exact match, but you do need to bond it through. I've never used the closure you mentioned, but the Serviseals have a very easy bonding system and are on the same principle with the grease filled for water proofing, personally I wouldn't use a closure that just had the "snap-in" bonding connections. I would think there would be places around your area that sold buried drop by the foot.

Retired phone dude
if your a electrician your electrical supply house of choice should be able to help you out and order what you need

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Touch Tone Tommy), 73 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024