web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings:
I am connecting two buildings in the campus and need to bury power, fiber (62.5/125 multi-mode 6 strands), cat5e 3 cables for video, cat3 25pair bundle for voice in a single trench.
All cables are rated for direct burial.

My questions are
(1) How far away should I keep the electric from the rest of low voltage ? And how best to do it. Are there spacers available that I could use ?

(2) How to mitigate ground loop. Should I ask the electrician to connect the ground rods of both buildings to a common ground rod approximately in the middle at about 500feet away from each building.

(3) cat5e is for video application and cat3 is for voice. Should those be grounded or surge protected ?

I did read the FAQ posted at the top of the forum before asking this question
https://www.psihq.com/iread/strpgrnd.htm

Thanks
-Shaw

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Power & Fiber can be mixed together (as long as the fiber does not have a metallic strand in it. We did a gig where we ran sm fiber in Con Edison manholes here in NYC.

How far away to keep power from LV copper? Faaar away. Better if it was in conduit. If you're going to direct bury it I would check the NEC but also, more important, the local codes and with the AHJ (Authority having jurisdiction). Anything anyone here might tell you might be completely wrong.

You need to pull a ground to bond the two comm rooms together. Check the EIA/TIA 607specs. They'll probably point you in the right direction as to the size of the grounding conductor.

Any LV cabling entering/leaving a building should be protected.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Wow, you really have a lot going on and very little knowledge about how it should be done. One glaring example is the 1000 feet of CAT5. You are also completely mistaken on the grounding and ground loops.

I know you came here for advice but whatever we tell you is going to require experience on your part to pull it off. I seriously suggest that you put this in the hands of a contractor who has done this before. And I don't mean just the installation, they need to look at what you are doing first.

You also should understand that if this is in Chicago, none of this can be done except by a union electrician.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Why do you need the cat5e runs (won't work anyway) when you have fiber connecting the two buildings?

Technician I IBEW Local #58 Detroit, MI
Shaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you SilverSam you have been very helpful.
(1)No metal strands in the fiber cable.
(2) what kind of Conduit should I use for LV. Metal or PVC.
(3) I was going to do a common ground for both buildings, you pointed me to the right document EIA/TIA 607 - I could just do the comm rooms of both buildings
(4) surge suppression / isolation for cat3 / cat5e - The phone vendor will install that.

Hbiss,
cat5e is for analog video. I know the 100m limitation. The campus is outside city of chicago
I have electrical, phone and video contractors. I am the project manager and need to make sure that what the contractors are recommending is the most optimized solution

Kevin-Mi,
cat5e is for analog video.

-Shah

I am the project manager and need to make sure that what the contractors are recommending is the most optimized solution

No offense, but if you are the project manager and have to come to an internet forum for your information you have some serious thinking to do about your ability to handle the job.

About all I can tell you is if you don't know what these guys are doing or how it should be done hire someone who does.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by Shaw:

...need to make sure that what the contractors are recommending is the most optimized solution...[/QB]
Then you'll want to consider using fiber for the cameras. You'll have to ground loop problems or lightning problems if you use the fiber. BTW, I would also increase the fiber count to at least 12 for a building 1000' away.

Shaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks nfcphoneman,
I still have the analog phones (cat3 cable) to deal with.

The voice cable should have protection and the cable sheath should be grounded on both ends. Use PVC conduit.

I would also upgrade to either laser optimized 50/125 OM3 multimode or singlemode fiber. You're pushing the limits of 62.5/125 OM1 at 1000'. Many manufacturers also make a dual singlemode/multimode cable that contains a binder of each in one sheath. Even if you don't terminate all of the fibers, they'll at least be there in the future.

The communications and power should be separated a minimum of 12". As Sam mentioned, the farther the better and you may have local codes that dictate otherwise.

If you are connecting buildings and spending this much money, Invest in the proper media converters and go singlemode.... multimode at gig or 10 gig si really a apin in the ass over 500m, and you havent mentioned the distance from the outside area to the telco rooms on each side... Singlemode is cheaper anyways....just the active stuff is twice the price, but a bizillion times the speed possible for the future!

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Professor Shadow, pvj), 168 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024