web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have never run fiber before. It would need to be run overhead from building A to buildings B and C. I am installing data racks in each building for those buildings premise cabling. The fiber would allow network connections from the server in building A to buildings B and C. I also need the capability to run connections from the Vodavi STSe KSU in the building A to buildings B and C. Is that possible over fiber and what kind of material/equipment would I need to accomplish this with fiber. Like I stated I am in an area where there has not been much need for fiber, so never have had a reason to use it on any jobs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TekLink Solutions
Havre, Montana 59501
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
You cannot use the fiber for the STSe extensions. You'll need to add some copper as well.

KLD Offline
Okay, here is a weird suggestion but I believe Larry will concur.....place an overhead figure 8 cable between the buildings. Attach an OSP innerduct to this cable. Now pull in OSP fiber within the innerduct. There ya go....fiber for data and copper for the phones. Questions?

:shrug:

Ken
---------
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by KLD:
Okay, here is a weird suggestion but I believe Larry will concur.....place an overhead figure 8 cable between the buildings. Attach an OSP innerduct to this cable. Now pull in OSP fiber within the innerduct. There ya go....fiber for data and copper for the phones. Questions?

:shrug:
Ken -

Sounds like it would work just fine.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
KLD Offline
Yep, Sam, a "two-fer"....... laugh :rofl: :dance:

Ken
---------
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
The only way to utilize fiber with most phone systems is to use a media converter. Then you can only use a T1/PRI connection or a 3rd party OPX adapter. There is nothing that I know of that supports propitiatory digital phones. VoIP phones maybe, but that's it.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Question.......why place an innerduct...why not lash the fibre to the fig. 8 cable directly?

2nd stab.......how many copper pairs do you need for the STS sys? If only 1, you can use a fibre cable with 1 copper pair which is manufactured in the same sheath....you could then use a multi-plexer, centrex, OPX, splitter or what-not to split the pair if need be.

One pair per extension.

The Vodavi guys here should be able to offer some advice here. It may be possible to install separate KSUs at locations B and C and link all three via IP over the fiber.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by tiggrrrz:
Question.......why place an innerduct...why not lash the fibre to the fig. 8 cable directly?
You could, if you use Loose tube outdoor fiber. Innerduct just adds a layer of protection.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (teleco), 117 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024