Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi,
Often Verizon installs new POTS lines to the building demarc but does not label these lines. So I find a telephone closet with maybe a few hundred lines but not a clue as to which ones are for my customer.

If I call Verizon and ask for the binding post number for the new lines, they refuse to give out this information "for security reasons." I have tried several times and they always refuse. (I never have a problem getting the binding post from an alternate phone company, just Verizon.)

Verizon sends a technician out to the site in a few days to label the lines. I'd rather get the job done in one trip for the sake of my client.

A Verizon installer told me that if you dial 811 with a test set, it will tell you the number. I could test each line, but there may be several hundred lines in a phone closet. Does anyone have a better idea?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Doesn't Verizon put a padlock on all of their terminals? They sure do in the former GTE territory of California. Point being, you can't get to their side of the demarc, and need them to extend it to an RJ-21 or demrc block with the jack/plug and screw terminals.

OP Offline
There is usually a jack/plug and screw terminals at the end of each line. But there are hundreds of these in a multi-occupancy building. Without a label, is there a quick way to find a line, given its phone number?

This is a common problem, I ask all my clients to tell Verizon to tag all new lines when they are ordering them. I also inform client that extra service charge is needed if no tag,this is for 2nd visit and most clients do ask.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
Doesn't Verizon put a padlock on all of their terminals? They sure do in the former GTE territory of California. Point being, you can't get to their side of the demarc, and need them to extend it to an RJ-21 or demrc block with the jack/plug and screw terminals.
thats interesting , no locks in sw fl here with verizon formally GTE

in fact most are hanging open

Ive been in positions to do that and its really not that hard , speaker phone /data lockout buttset with ANI numbers in speed dial

all you need to listen for is the first few digits for a match so most you can eliminate within one or two digits

really doesn't take that long

Ive also called the number and gone down the terminals with a VOM looking for ring voltage

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
OP Offline
I like the idea of calling the number and looking for the ring voltage.

Please explain a little more how to use ANI numbers in speed dial.

Admin
Admin
Call Verizon back and tell them to finish the job then when you bill the customer separate the charges so that the customer can go after V for a refund

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Here in Bellsouth or the "New at&t" country they don't lock nothing either.
I have been in the same situation many times with several hundred pairs at the demarc or NID and nothing labeled.
I don't feel as if it my job to do theirs (The service provider).
We always call or have the customer call the service provider and have them come back and label the lines as they should done in the first place.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Verizon is terrible about this. I am always having to get them to come back to tag their lines. In Tampa sometimes the tech will come back and just throw the line tag in the can without attaching it to the line...which means they have to come back a third time... and yes it is billable to the customer whom we advise to send the bill to verizon.

The easiest (and most painful) way to find an untagged line is to call the number and run your finger over the binding posts until you get zapped. laugh

OP Offline
Originally posted by Pete Largo:
The easiest (and most painful) way to find an untagged line is to call the number and run your finger over the binding posts until you get zapped. ...
I like the concept, but maybe there is a non-human ring detector? I bought an AC detector at Radio Shack a few years ago. Maybe I'll try that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,380 Shoretel
189,085 CTX100 install
187,412 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (R4+Z, RATHER BE FISHING, ffej010), 118 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024