web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We just installed an NEC DSX 80 into an establishment with TechValley digital lines handed off to analog signaling.

Issue: Sporadically the voicemail (intramail) will not recognize DTMF and goes into a constant loop. I cannot reproduce this on a consistent basis.

Attempted Solution: Turned up the receive gain on all trunks to +3.0 dB and I'm doing the waiting game.

Are there any specific things I need to ask the dial tone provider (TechValley) to adjust? Has anyone had this issue with TechValley in the past?

NOTE: This is NOT a phone system equipment issue. The system works consistently off the customer site fed by pots lines.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Customer is IRATE.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Keighlar -

I'm with you on trying the boosted gain as a first shot. I had trouble once with an E&M tie line to Paris. nothing worked till I cranked the gain way up - then all the problems went away.

What format are these digital lines? ISDN? Something else? How is the handoff to analog signaling being accomplished?

Do you have a DTMF tester you can put across one of the VM lines? Even if you can't duplicate the problem consistently, if you can get it to happen while you're monitoring the circuit, that'll be a big help.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Are the digital lines in a hunt group? This reminds me of an issue we had several months ago. 2 out of 10 of our E&M Tie Lines connecting to a Meridian1 are set up to collect DP and they suddenly stopped accepting accepting digits one day. Turns out, the meridian techs changed the address signaling to DTMF on these 2 tie-lines so our Harris switch would just timeout after 30 seconds. If TechValley has DP address signaling enabled on some of the trunks while your VM is looking for DTMF? Like Sam said, next time the problem occurs, Bridge the line and take measurements

OP Offline
Sam,

I'll have to get the specifics on these lines. I'll do that and post back.

boots921,

They are in a hunt, but in testing the lines I isolated each of them and made repeated test calls to each line to eliminate the possibility that one or more of them was misconfigured. In 80 calls I was unable to get a single failure; however, the dispatcher at our office did make one call that duplicated the customer's complaint. It has occurred with both cell phones and land lines.

Thank you both for your input.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

NEC had a similar issue on the IPK II platform w/ the InMail. They had designed a software patch to address it in the InMail. Perhaps the NTAC side that supports the DSX has a similar fix?

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the NEC catagory?

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
OP Offline
I put it here simply because I am certain it is not the NEC equipment and it has something to do with the telephone service. That being said, if it would make a better fit in NEC, I'll ask to have it moved. I talked to NEC tech support already and there is no patch.

I'm waiting to hear back from TechValley with the specs on the lines.

-- Jimi Hendrix

OP Offline
Update: I still haven't heard back from Tech Valley, but in the meantime I adjusted the Receive Gain to +3 and we have not had any additional complaints so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

-- Jimi Hendrix

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024