web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
nogden Offline OP
OP Offline
I occasionally drive by one of the old Bell System microwave radio relay towers here in Michigan and always wondered if it was still active. Does anyone know if any of the original microwave relays are still being used (i.e. the original 4GHz systems)?

I found that the transmitter still has an active FCC license, so that is what led me to believe they might still be in use. The particular link that still has active call signs runs from Traverse City, Mich to Perkins, Michigan. For reference, the Allenville tower that I've been past has the call sign WHR249. If they are still active, are they just used for backup, or do they regularly carry calls? What is their capacity?

With all the knowledgeable and experienced folks on this site, I'm sure someone will know!

-Nelson

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I did a lot of Microwave work, just not for the Bell System and not in Michigan,

Microwave is still used regularly for locations where it's too expensive or too difficult to get fiber into. Or, if it's got to be in NOW (you can get a link in pretty quickly if conditions are right).

Any link in the spectrum below 38 ghz requires FCC approval, which can take a little time to get, so if there's an approved 4 gig link whoever owns is probably keeping it up - even if they're not using it now- just in case.

A 4 GHZ link is probably good for 15-20 miles and could easily carry a T-3 (45 mbs) circuit.

These days I see them used very often for feeding cell sites, but very often they're in there for backup.

Hope that helps,

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
nogden Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, Sam. That supports my suspicions. I didn't think AT&T would maintain the FCC license if they weren't using the links in some way.

-Nelson

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 108 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024