web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480341 08/15/07 06:08 PM
fs483 Offline OP
OP Offline
Things are not going to so well with the install. I went to power up the system (with only the AC) and the board fried. Luckly I had nothing connected to the board so there's no damage to other components. I even went and measure the output of the power supply before connecting it to the board. The power supply is a DSC PTC1640. On the specs of the power supply it shows Secondary : 16.5VAC 40VA. With no load, I was getting about 17.4VAC. So I said to myself I'm good. I disconnected the power supply from the outlet and then screwed in the wires onto the terminals. Then I plugged in the adaptor to the wall, I smelled something weird and unplugged it right away, too late, a component on the board melted. It's the component to the upper left of the battery connector. I don't recognize that component. It's a gray rectangular thing. Anybody have a description for that component ? Now I looked at the wiring manuals that came with the unit and it says SEC: 16.5VDC (YUP DC) ??? However, on the terminals it says AC !!! I'm getting confused. My old 632 uses AC on the SEC and it works fine. I think I got a bad board but I think I'll have a hard time exchanging it. This distributor is not the best on exchange/warranty. Could it be because I had NOTHING connected to the other terminals that the unit fried ??? I doubt it.

Also, I got some motion detectors called Pet Comet. The polarity for the power supply in the instruction manuals are different from those on the PCB ? I usually follow the ones on the PCB.

Thanks,
fs483

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#480342 08/17/07 01:15 AM
I've never installed a PC1616 but I would say the board was blown the second you put AC voltage into it.
As you stated the manual says the input voltage should be DC voltage.
If the terminals are labeled AC it may be because the manufacturer used parts they had in stock for other boards that do require AC voltage such as the PC5010. :shrug:

Did the person you bought the system from sell you the power supply for the system?

#480343 08/21/07 08:04 AM
fs483 Offline OP
OP Offline
Got my board exchanged. They said the component looks like a fuse and it would blow if I plugged the battery wrong. It's odd because I didn't even plug the battery when I powered up the system. I wanted to avoid damage to the battery in case of problem so that why I didn't plug it. Anyways, I won't have time to play with it, for the next 2 weeks or so. It's a typo in the schematics sheet for the VAC and VDC. It's supposed to be VAC.

#480344 10/11/07 11:11 AM
LMK if you need help with DSC as I know it very well
Greg

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024