Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#481738 08/08/09 03:25 PM
Kit Lui Offline OP
OP Offline
I would like to understand the purpose/advantage of having 'end of the line' resistor(s). Thank you.

luik
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
It allows the system to monitor the line. An open or short will change the line resistance and set off a trouble alarm.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
^^^^ And it will generate an alarm if the system is armed.

And as the name suggests it goes at the END of the loop, NOT in the panel.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski
Ummm...it can go in the panel (in fact that's where I always put them) if you use quad wire for the loop. The loop goes out on R/G, makes a U-turn and returns on the B/Y, so that's the end of the loop. The resistor goes on the B/Y in the box.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
No professional would install them in the panel! Yes it can be done but negates true line/loop supervision.

Read it again, please. It does indeed supervise the loop. It is electrically equivalent.

I understand that the resistor can be put right across the terminals of the loop, cheating, so to speak, but that is not what I am describing.

The loop travels out from the screw terminals in the panel, on the R/G, to the last device, then changes color to the Y/B and comes directly back to the panel, uninterrupted.

It makes trouble-shooting easy because the entire loop, including the EOL resistor (or diode) is visible and accessible.

1. It does not require trying to find which device is the actual EOL device in an unfamiliar installation.

2. If the resistor or diode fails, it can be easily replaced, right at the panel.

3. If a device needs to be added, the new quad wire is installed from the (former) last device to the (new) last device, and the installer loops back the Y/B at the new device. The resistor or diode remains untouched in the panel.

4. You can trouble-shoot the integrity of the entire loop right from the panel, since you are actually looking at the end of the loop.

There are lots of professional companies doing it this way.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

actually If you do it how Arthur states you still Maintain supervision. This is how I do my window and door contacts in non UL installs. wire the panel red/black and the contact red/green. the circuit starts out on red travels to the contact, wire one side of the contact red the other green. short the black/yellow pair at the contact. back at the panel install the eolr between the yellow/green pair. If any of the conductors are shorted and damaged it will fail to see the resistor.

This has always worked very well for me, any damage to any conductor will show a fault..again this is for non UL installs

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
QOS Offline
Glad to see some interest in the correct use of an EOLR. I first started working in the alarm industry in the late 70's and was trained well in ground loop wiring. I would be proud to work behind Anthony or Arthur's work.... Unfortunately, I know of NO company in my areas that use the EOLR correctly.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,309 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 79 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024