Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#484232 08/19/07 04:01 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
John -

I worked on an Iwatsu 714 system - 7 Trunks and a Manual ICM with 14 pushbuttons for "button and buzzer" Intercom. Took a 25 pair cable and wired like a 1A2/Comkey system (TRAL). This was back in the mid 70's.

It was a TIE system I was talking about. I got a "fill in" job from my boss to throw this little system in a parking garage in midtown Manhattan. It was a sealed box (riveted shut) that had 4 RJ-11s on one side (for CO Lines) and 8 or 10 or 12 on the other side (for stations). A power cord plugged into the wall and all programming (what there was of it) was done from the first station port.

Very limited, but it required almost no technical expertise to install and or maintain.

This was about 1983 and I thought at the time it had to be the beginning of the end.

Let me say this once: "As the equipment gets smarter, the technicians CAN get stupider".

I've known very few employers over the years (GTE was an exception), who didn't hire technicians one grade level BELOW what was required for the job - And then let them learn their way to competence through OJT. If the job required Rocket Scientists, they would hire college graduates. If the job required College graduates, they would hire HS graduates.

Well, if the system requires a skill level commensurate with HS dropouts, half the employers will hire illiterate, illegal aliens.

Sorry for the rant.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#484233 08/19/07 06:30 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OP Offline
I understand the illegal alien rant, and my attitudes about THAT subject WILL get deleted and I'll get my -ss chewed, so 'that's all I've got to say about that'. frown Thanks Forest, that expression is sooo great! smile Of course I think I can say that as a result that tends to make the H/S dropouts competitive with the H/S graduates, and pushes everybody further up on the incompetence scale! John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484234 08/19/07 06:59 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
A couple of years ago my contractor got a job to install V & D cabling for a Board of Ed office building. A small job (for us) - about 200 each V&D cables. Cat 5E for both, Voice on 110, Data on Patch Panels. We also had to build out the Comm room to "Bell System Specs". We did everything to spec - Nothing less than 5/8" hardware, cloth covered green wire ground, etc. Job is testified and certified. The City comes in and takes pictures so that they can show everyone "what a job is supposed to look like."

Now the Phone System contractor comes in. He hangs a piece of equipment (don't remember what it was, but nothing I'd ever seen before) in one of the racks and has one guy who knows the color code punch down the tails on the backboard. Another guy loads a cd and does some very minor programming. When he gets in trouble he steals the DT off the alarm system, hooks up a modem and has the factory dial in and fix everything.

The people placing the sets speak no English whatsoever. They kept complaining some jacks didn't work. I kept retesting them - all OK. Eventually we have a meeting with their PM (who speaks English). I prove the jacks good with a Cat5E test- But his phones still don't work! THey swap the phones and they work. It must be my fault! What are they doing? They're swapping out the sets, but not swapping the mounting cords. Bad mounting cords were their problem. I have to troubleshoot for these mutts?

When I left they were still fighting with Verizon about incoming service not working. They had T-1s and couldn't figure out how to troubleshoot or test them.

How the heck is any legitimate employer paying a decent wage and benefits and demanding a high level of expertise and competence supposed to compete with someone like that?

Disgusted - you bet.

What the hell have they done to my industry?!?

Sam

#484235 08/19/07 11:40 AM
OP Offline
I'm beginning to know what the LEC guys felt like around 1980! frown John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484236 08/19/07 12:20 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
John -

So tell me about the Omni S1 installed in the only private building on a US Army fort.

I know the military liked the Omni (not sure why), I mean it was a very good switch (as long as you kept away from the creature (sorry, feature) phones, but still.....

I remember training with some officers on the GTD-4600 when I was down in Reston. There was also a classroom that none of us were allowed into. It was training for the OMNI SV (I think) - except the regular Omni series only went up to IV. Or maybe it was VI - whatever, it was for a hitherto unknown version of the OMNI and the only people that went in to the room were in uniform.

I've also got some real interesting stories about UN embassies and the like. Names will have to be changed though.

Sam

#484237 08/19/07 04:20 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Wow, we have allowed this thread to drift widely away from the original 1A2 and Comkey subject. It has become more of a "nostalgia" thread. How about starting a new thread in the "General" category so that we can keep things in their proper places. Thanks, guys.

As this thread reaches nearly a year old, I think it's safe enough to lock it to prevent it from continuing any further.

Lightninghorse is going to start up a thread titled "nostalgia" in the Phone Booth for everyone to enjoy.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,812 Shoretel
188,969 CTX100 install
187,204 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, mongo5150), 141 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024