Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#484755 09/22/07 05:59 PM
OP Offline
Success! I have buzzers. One of my phones lights the hold button when it gets buzzed, the other doesn't I havn't decided if I like it or not yet.

One question - there is a slight hum on the intercom line; is this normal?

I really like the "ringing" you get on the receiver when buzzing another station.... very cool.

Thanks everyone -

Matt

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#484756 09/22/07 07:42 PM
OP Offline
Reading through other posts:

https://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/13/t/000488/p/1.html

it sounds like maybe I'll need to put in a 1000uf electrolytic filtering capacitor; I suppose across AB and AG (I say I suppose because I'm wondering if it should actually go across Tip and Ring).

I think the hum is caused by the fact I'm using the AB for both AB and BB. When using my old intercom card, there was no hum, so I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the power supply.

I'm thinking of going up to radio shack tomorrow to look for such a cap. I'm guessing it will need to be 24v or the next higher value available.

Thoughts?

Thx
Matt

#484757 09/23/07 02:19 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
The cap shoud go across AB and AG. Across T and R you would 'filter' the audio out! Try for at least 35 Volts, 50 even better. You may be overloading the 'A' battery supply, be careful. ITT601 power supplies are not nearly as forgiving as as the big grey 1A2 power supplies from Elgin or whoever. That little regulator card is small in size AND capacity. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484758 09/23/07 02:25 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Matt -

On most KV sets the Y/G pair is wired to the hold lamp. Of course many sets don't have a lamp installed at that spot so not all of them will light <G>.

Some sets allowed the use of a "phantom" 6th button - a "All Buttons Up" Itercom. If all your keys were up you went off hook and got T/R off the Y/Blue pair and lamp off the Y/G pair. Buzzing on the Y/O. Stromberg Carlson sets came standard like this and some WE sets (but I think you had to also pull up one of the hook switch buttons to activate it on a WEco set)

I always used Y/O for buzzers(except on Northern Electric/Telecom Logic sets in which case it was Y/Brown.

Confused enough?

Glad everything works and that you've got Intercom.

You can also add ICM only phones using 2500 phones. Connect G/R to T/R and B/Y to the buzzing pairs, then open the B/Y inside the set and connect a buzzer.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#484759 09/23/07 06:09 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Sam, John -

It's good to know I can make an intercom out of a 2500 - that will come in handy some day. ANd thanks for the cap info John.... !

Matt

#484760 09/23/07 08:17 AM
OP Offline
Well, I put the cap in. (1000uf, 35v) I bought 2, cause I figured I'd get it wrong at least once. The first time I hooked + to AB, and - to AG. Cap started to get hot, unplug NOW.

Went for a walk, realized (duh) AB is - (for some reason I just can't get that straight in my mind). Put in a new cap, it's not overheating though there is still some buzz. Not as much, but some. I can live with it.

And thus the intercom chapter is closed.

Stay tuned for the next project: MOH.

THANKS EVERYONE.

- Matt

#484761 09/23/07 08:39 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Matt -

Do you have one or two sources of -24VDC on that beast? If you have two hook one up for A and the other for B.

Also - lift all the wiring off the power supply -24v, then take a butt set and go a cross it. If it still hums coming out of the supply, then that's it. If it doesn't, start attaching the connections one at a time and see which one puts on the hum. Trace that back and see - might be a defective 400 card or......?

Also that ICM I sent out will work Tone or Rotary - so if you dig up some old sets, it'll still work.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#484762 09/23/07 08:57 AM
Matt, if you are using a non-601 intercom, You may be just plain overloading the 601's power supply. That will cause hum and consider it a warning from the 601 power supply! John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484763 09/23/07 10:07 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Silversam:
Matt -

Do you have one or two sources of -24VDC on that beast? If you have two hook one up for A and the other for B.

Also - lift all the wiring off the power supply -24v, then take a butt set and go a cross it. If it still hums coming out of the supply, then that's it. If it doesn't, start attaching the connections one at a time and see which one puts on the hum. Trace that back and see - might be a defective 400 card or......?

Also that ICM I sent out will work Tone or Rotary - so if you dig up some old sets, it'll still work.

Sam
Sam -

Pretty sure there is just one 24v output. See my PM for PS specs.

I'm thinking I have a ground issue or something. AG is tied to the power supply grounding screw as per instructions, and basically every ground (AG, LG, etc) is really the same point now. I tried disconnecting all keysets (2) and swapped in a third one (an ITT) in favor of the 2 WE keysets - same buzz. Then I disconnected the lamp feeds to the intercom, and the 18v station signal input... same buzz. My next step will be to disconnect everything from AB and AG; possibly everything from the entire KSU, and see if I still have a buzz on AB/AG...... if not, then I'm guessing it's the intercom putting out the buzz, since it feeds tip and ring to the keysets.

It's really not that much of an annoyance...... but it would be nice if it were completely silent.

I do have an ITT rotary, so it's great to know it will work with both!

Thanks Much!

Matt

#484764 09/23/07 10:14 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Matt, if you are using a non-601 intercom, You may be just plain overloading the 601's power supply. That will cause hum and consider it a warning from the 601 power supply! John C. (Not Garand)
Thanks John - I really hope that's not it.... as you can see from this thread, there has been a great gnashing of teeth any many, many attempts to get my old intercom card working. If I have to resort to finding a working intercom card for this unit.... I will be: frown

The one Sam sent me is very cool.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,436 Shoretel
188,268 CTX100 install
187,072 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 65 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024