web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
stha Offline OP
OP Offline
All the French phones I have are too recent to give a separate ringer easy to measure. The only thing I can do is to measure the voltage directly on the 2 wires of the wall. Does it help ?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

stha Offline OP
OP Offline
I have tested the voltages direcly on the wall wires (before a phone) here is all I can see :
- when no ring or calls : +40v in DC mode or 90V in AC mode (but nothing if the wires are inversed in AC).
- when rings on the line : 0V to 40V in AC mode or 40V to 90V if I reverse the wires. 0V to +40V in DC mode.

Back with the Call director, if I measure the ringer wires when rings I have 0V to 40V in AC mode (i can reverse the wires and see the same) but nothing on the DC mode. If no ring, 0V everywhere.

The buzzer is the one I'd most like to ear...

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You should not see any AC voltage when the line is idle. By setting your meter to the AC setting, it's just reading the DC voltage and effectively doubling it, giving you a false reading.

It sounds like the 90 volts that you are detecting during the ring cycle is fine. There is an issue of AC frequency though. U.S. straight-line ringers are designed to respond to 17-33 Hz. Being in Europe, there's a good chance that the frequency of the 90 volts is outside of this range.

I do need to ask these questions:

You had mentioned that you were using 2565HKM sets before. Did the ringers work properly in these sets? If so, we may just have an internal wiring issue.

Is the Call Director set new or is it one that was used? If used, there's a good chance that a diode may have been used in the ringer wiring as a field modification.

Let us know and we can dig further.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
stha Offline OP
OP Offline
With my 2565 HKMS and also another but smaller Call Director (Northern Electric) the ringers were just giving a very low ring (every ringer positions tested), just one small movment instead many high I could have with a normal phone. The most important thing I can say is that I had to reverse the wires to have it. That means when I plug the phone on the wall, there's a first ring.

The Call Director is a used unit purshased from ebay.

Is there a way to modify easily the frequencies to meet the 30Hz of the US phones ?

No, they aren't modifiable. Different frequencies require different ringer coils that are no longer manufactured.

You might want to go out on a ledge and try taking the black ringer lead loose from the network and connect it to a good known ground and test. If that doesn't work, try putting the black wire back and do the same thing with the red wire.

It's possible that they still use grounded ringing in France, but I doubt it. It's worth a try.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally posted by EV607797:
It's possible that they still use grounded ringing in France, but I doubt it.
I'm not very familiar with the switching equipment used in France today, but I believe that at least some central offices are the Ericsson AXE10, which is also used widely here in Britain under the guise of BT's "System Y."

These do employ grounded ringing. On an incoming call, battery is transferred to the tip side (A-wire) of the line, and ringing voltage is applied from the ring side (B-wire) to ground. If you're on a similar arrangement you might find it easier to actually measure the ringing voltage to ground, since you can then do so without the d.c. component affecting the meter.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I remember working on a German Intercom system back in the '60s (Telefunken und Normelzeit, I think). We had to use their phones because the ringing generator wouldn't work American ringers. As I recall it wwasn't voltage, it was the frequency. We needed 20-30hz and they were running on 60hz.

I'm assuming something similar is going on here.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
You could try wiring or finding the correct Buzzer in place of the ringer. Such as A to k or k to A on the set's network with or without the right diode. Ring frequency generator in france is the question here?

Like Ed said the ring generator leaves the office at 105 ac at 17 cycles or hertz in USA.

You could also try to strap a pazio type ringer out out of a cheap single line set. Im sure something would work. But then again, it becomes a hobby like an old train set. You might have to remove the condenser crkt. The a to K or k to A on the phones network

stha Offline OP
OP Offline
I also suspect that my problem comes from the frequency (but I can't measure). I also tryed to install the buzzer instead of the ringer, but nothing happens. As far as it's not possible to change the frequency, I suppose that I couldn't fix this problem and the best solution is to have 2nd phone (like modern wireless) only for his ringer... Too, I must take care of the equipments because I'm behind a DSL box that gives internet, phone and TV, I remember having damaged a similar unit when playing with the wires of WE phones and ringers... But finally, I'm very happy to got at a reasonable price the black 29 lines Call Director that I was searching since a very a very long time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 50 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024