Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Matt,

I have a punch tool. Thanks for the concern! I did the flat-head screwdriver thing at first as well. :rolleyes: It worked, but it wasn't exactly pretty.

SS,

I don't think they have crimp connectors that small. Is there a particular order that the earpiece cables connect to 3/18? Like left earpiece to 3 etc?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
You are trying to use a stereo cable on a mono system! Use both leads from the right earpiece. And it sounds as if you have the good old fashioned 'tinsel cord' which is very fine (40 Gauge ?) copper wrapped around or braided with very fine cotton stranding. Almost impossible to make a connection to! Sooooo, take the plug/cord to your favorite hobby electronic store and get a replacement with REAL wire! Or, get just get a plug and solder some cross-connect to the lugs. Be sure to slip the shell on the wire first! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
What kind of end is on the plug? I have tons of 1/8 and RCA cables laying around so I can send you one if you need it!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the offer Jeff, but it will cheaper for me to just go and buy one.

Can anyone tell me how to connect the wires to the plug? I've never even thought of doing this before.

From what I understand, there are three wires in all. One for each the left and right earpieces respectively, and a ground.

What goes where, what type of terminals are on the base of the plug etc.

Thanks.

It can't get cheaper than me just mailing one to you smile
Normally one wire is hot, one is cold, and one is ground. If you have a voltmeter, you can just check continuity. You want to check one wire to the tip, one wire to the ring, and one to the sleeve.
I drew you a diagram.
[Linked Image from i35.photobucket.com]

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Once again, the phone system is mono, as in only 1 audio channel. You are apparently using a stereo source. Not a problem, try 'tip' and 'sleeve', I believe that will get you 1 channel of the stereo source. Don't even connect a wire to the 'ring' lug. And check with a buttset before you ever connect to the KSU. Test 1st and fix 1st. That way you will know that the source was good, before you hooked it to the KSU. Been there, didn't do that, wasted a lot of time. But only once! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jeff and LH. Will test 1st fix 2nd. I've learned this lesson long ago (not that I always abide by it smile )

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Wire-wrapping is pretty niffty! Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I was reading that some people find it a superiour bond to soldering.

As I recall, the relays we used to pull out of the dumpster behind the CO were both wrapped _and_ soldered. Now There's a connection that ain't going anywhere.....

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Matt, actually the 24 gauge and smaller wire was just wrapped. The larger wires, usually for power connections, were partially wrapped and soldered since the stiffness of these wires would often tend to twist/break the wire wrap pins.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,253 Shoretel
188,995 CTX100 install
187,383 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 110 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024