Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Taken from Wikipedia:

"Each of the keyset cables was usually run back to the wiring closet, or whatever central location where the KSU had been installed, and terminated on a connection device known as a 66 block or punch block. The blocks most often used to terminate these station cables were the type 66M1-50. Each of these blocks could accept two 25-pair cables (50 pairs, total) for termination.

Cross-connect wire jumpers, consisting of three twisted pairs (the six wires referenced above) would then be run between these blocks and the larger distribution connecting blocks within the KSU."

Could anyone tell me a little about this?

This may be a completely stupid question, but since I'm only hooking up two lines (red/green, yellow/black), would I need a 66-Block?

If I'm understanding correctly, I punch my two live pairs into some block (could make a little one myself), and then run jumper wires for the two lines from the punch block to the internal block in the KSU?

Sorry, I don't think I'm making much sense (it's 5 a.m.!), oK, so is this how it works:

The actual 564 amp connectors terminate either directly on the KSU, or via an extension cable? And then I would need to run jumper wires from the KSU's block to another block which will contain my terminated home lines?

Sorry about all the questions!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Another quick question:

The buzzer inside my Northern Telecom 564 is not actually terminated to anything within the phone. The two blue wires have their ends crimped, and are just hanging around.

Where do I hook these up?

KLD Offline
Ahhh, the fun of 1A2.... laugh

This is a long process but here is the short version:

A 25 pair cable runs from the site of the telephone (this has an amp connector at the telephone end) back to a central location and is "punched" onto a block such as a 66M1-50.
There are "punch blocks" within the KSU. The "cross connect" wiring connects the KSU blocks to the 66 blocks that have the telephone cables attached. Thereby the name "cross connect field".

As for the CO feeder, it goes onto the KSU punch block to feed the DT to the KSU...through the KTUs, and out to the KSU punch blocks to the telephone punch blocks then through the 25 pair cable to the amp connector to the telephone cable tail into the telephone.

As for the buzzer leads...I am not familiar with NT 564 but most 564 have pairs "spared out" for the attachment of the buzzer leads. They go where they need to depending on the use...intercom, common audible, or direct line buzzer.

You really need to learn the basics here before jumping into the optional features.

Have a good time....

Ken
---------
Online Content
You can just hook up the tip and ring and get dial tone and have it function as a plain old phone. You wouldn't have lamps, hold, common ringer or be able to add any other functions without the KSU and a 25pr cable. What good with that be?

Retired phone dude
I really can't afford to buy a shop manual, so thanks for any help you can give me, since you know a little about Saabs. I'm only going to be driving my Saab in one direction, and at a fixed speed of 35 MPH. Can I disconnect the steering wheel and just weld the steering components together? Can I weld the shifter in 3rd gear and just leave it like that?

Seriously, I have been working on 1A2 systems (and 1A and 1A1 systems before that) for 40 something years. I have assisted many workers and enthusiasts in setting up and enjoying thse old systems. Feel free to contact me privately if you would like to understand the big picture. I have most of the documents that you would need to immerse yourself in 1A2. You might also want to join the TCI which has lots of members who dabble in 1A2, and switching systems.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

KLD Offline
See, Aris, I told you there is more experience here than hamburgers sold at Wendy's!!!

Thanks, Arthur.

Ken
---------
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I can most definitely see that Ken! It looks like I'll have my little hobby 1A2 up and running in no time! smile

Currently in the process of re-soldering the RJ-21 connector back to my NT 564. Slight pain in the butt.

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Quick question:

I am trying to solder the amp connector back onto my 564. Is pin 1 ring, and pin 26 tip, or the other way around? KLD kindly provided me with a run-down of the wiring sequence, but I'm not sure of what I mentioned above.

Thanks!

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Cat 6 -

26 is Tip (W/Blue)
1 is Ring (Blue/W)
27 is Tip (W/Orange)
2 is Ring (Or/W)

etc.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,807
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,073 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Keyset6, justbill), 136 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024