Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello to all!

My name is Aris, and I am three months into a vocational degree in Installation and Repair of Telecommunication Equipment (phew, what a title!) in Montreal, Canada.

I hold another vocational degree in Networking and Internet Security, and worked for several years in the field, mostly as a support technician. I voted out of IT, because of the jobs lack of a "hands-on" aspect. I much prefer working with hardware then dealing with annoyingly repetative software issues.

I would like to apologise in advance for asking what I'm sure has been answered several dozen times already in these forums.

I am the proud owner of two lovely rotary 564 keyset telephones that I would like to get up and running for no practical purpose at all, just for what I consider to be the fun of it.

From what I understand, I will be needing a KSU and two 400d cards for the KSU, but I am really at a loss as to which KSU I would need, and how to set it up.

I'm already familiar with industrial Cat 3 cable, and its colour code, I know about my rings and tips, and I have a solid understanding of electronic fundamentals.

Any help would be much appreciated smile

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Cheapest way to go would probably be a 551 KSU with a ring generator. You'll also need some 25 pair cable with a female amp/champ connector. If only one line you really wouldn't need the ring generator.

welcome To the board, enjoy.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Bill is definitely right here, Aris. The 551 KSU is compact and simple to wire, readily available and any kind of 400 line card (A-F) will suffice for your application.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the prompt reply and warm welcome Bill and Ed! smile I'll see if I can locate a 551 KSU somewhere online. I know of this place in Texas that sells vintage equipment.

Bill, when you say amp/champ connector, are you referring to an amphenol connector?

Thanks!

PM sent regarding KSU purchase/availability.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Bwahahahahaha, we caught another one! Welcome home, Aris. You're gonna love this place! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Welcome to the exciting world of 25-pair cabling. I just sold a 551 on the E place for a low price. They are out there. I have 45 years' experience with 1A2 systems, so ask away.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes smile

Arthur, unfortunately I don't think I'll be seeing to much 25-pair cabling in my future career frown Everything is Cat 5e and up now, for commercial anyway.

But, judging from my IT experience, there are still quite a few vintage (or "legacy" as we say in IT), systems out there, and I would very much like to become acquainted with the 1A2 system, since I would like to be the tech they call when everyone else is staring in bewilderment! laugh

KLD Offline
Cat 6, IF you learn 1A2 you learn the basics of telephony, the granddad of your IT world.

Even 1A2 will never be "Legacy" equipment...it will work until the bitter end versus an every day reboot for IT equipment. If IT equipment weren't so fragile and needed these restarts, you would not have a job.

Now that that is cleared up, IF you can't find a WECO 551 (danged old Bell guys) try a great KSU, ITT 601. With a little imagination and knowledge it will do 5 COs and an intercom.

Bye the way, did I mention I was a danged old Bell guy and welcome to the BB? welcome
Keep your sense of humor and smile....hang on for the ride of your life laugh .

Ken
---------
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
KLD, I couldn't agree more, that the 1A2's still in operation will work till the bitter end. In my humble opinion, pretty much anything made after 1990 is borderline crap (there are exceptions of course).

I drive an 88' Saab, with only 107KKM on the odometer, in CANADA! She hasn't let me down yet! (OK, she needs some TLC every now and then, but overall the car is a rock).

As far as IT equipment, in most cases it's not really the hardware that's a problem. You stick a LINUX OS in 600$ DEll desktop, and it will last forever. Problem is LINUX is not exactly user friendly, it actually demands that you know how computers work to a certain extent (kind of like the 1A2 eh?), but in our McWorld, there are very few who will make the effort (myself included frown , my loss completely, since one can make a pretty penny knowing LINUX well).

Before I knew anything about telephony, I didn't realise the significance of a 4 pair UTP ethernet cable. I was just amazed to find out that it's nothing more then the first 4 pairs of a 25 pair set: BW/B, OW/O, GW/G, BRW/BR!

The entire modern world, running on a technology that stretches back to the day of Mrs. Mckinnley patching you through on her switchboard.

Mind boggling!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,767
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,453 Shoretel
188,305 CTX100 install
187,084 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024