web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hello all.

I found the fuses and the KSU is back up and running. I've wired the CO lines to the KSU and have three stations wired to test. Everything works as it should except none of the stations will ring. I've researched the board and, since this 551A doesn't have a ring generator, I gather making station(s) ring has something to do with the yellow/slate pair. Some questions:

1) Assuming the above is correct, where do I punch down the yellow/slate pair? To T/R where the stations connect or to the T/R where the CO line is coming into the KSU (or elsewhere)?

2) From what I've read, since there's no ring generator and the CO lines provide ring voltage, I may have only one station ring (per CO line) in that configuration. Why is that? After all, five or more SLT's will ring with only the CO ring voltage to work with. What concept am I missing?

3) If I cannot have more than one station ring per CO line, can I use the 10v buzzers (as used for the intercom) as an alternative? If that is a solution, what wiring is involved in making the phones buzz to signal an incoming call? Can a ringer be used on one station and buzzers on others?

If any of my assumptions don't seem quite right, I welcome your corrections and advise. Thanks for all the help so far.

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Mark,
1, I'll pass since I don't have a copy of the practice. Generally, the bells (or buzzers) are wired to the Y/S pair in the phone and connect to the "Common Audible" source, in the KSU or on a 66 block with provision for cross connecting to multiple Y/S pairs from phones.

2. The problem is that you cannot have more than 1 C.O. line connected directly to the same bell. If you only have 1 C.O. line in the system, then sure, all the phones can ring on it. But, if you have 2 (or more) lines and you connect them to the same bell (or bells), they will act as if they are conferenced together and tie up so that you will not be able to call out and callers will get a busy signal.

3. Yes you can use 10 or 18 volt buzzers for C.O. ringing. It just takes the correct wiring in the KSU, (again,see the practice) and buzzers rather than bells on the Y/S pair in each phone. In fact, most business 1A2 systems I installed were deployed that way.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Mark -

The Y/S pair is wired to the ringer in the set. You have a number of choices available to you.

1- You can wire the Y/S pair to T&R. It can be either T&R in or out, either will work.

2- You can buy a Ring Generator and add Ringing to the system and then wire the Y/S pair to the Common Bell output from the Line Cards and have each bell ring on more then one line.

3- You can use another voltage besides 90V Ringing Generator as a ringing source. For example you could use 10V or 18V AC or -24vDC, all of which are present in the power supply that you have. You would then have to use a different ringer then the one in the set. It could be low voltage buzzers (either AC or DC) or a low voltage bell or whatever else you like.

As John said, you could have more then one bell ring per line, but you can't have more then one line ring per bell - unless you use the Common Ringing circuit from the line cards and yes you can mix bells and buzzers and gongs and chimes and lamps and....whatever else you want.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Well, you actually can ring multiple lines to a single set of ringers if you are using 400D cards. You'll need to strap the options on each card for steady ringing. Then, you will need to strap the ring side of each line in as a back-feed to each CA lead for each line. Using the RG/RB output from the KSU (the last pair on the bottom-right side of the KSU's block) that is connected to the ringer(s), you'll be able to accomplish this.

This also assumes that you have a good ground to the KSU and you are using real CO lines, not fake VOIP or CATV ones.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by EV607797:
Well, you actually can ring multiple lines to a single set of ringers if you are using 400D cards. You'll need to strap the options on each card for steady ringing. Then, you will need to strap the ring side of each line in as a back-feed to each CA lead for each line. Using the RG/RB output from the KSU (the last pair on the bottom-right side of the KSU's block) that is connected to the ringer(s), you'll be able to accomplish this.

This also assumes that you have a good ground to the KSU and you are using real CO lines, not fake VOIP or CATV ones.
Ed -

That's a pretty wild trick!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
I have a standard Tellabs 8101 ringing generator (used) if you would like to go that route. They mounted better in a 584C panel though. You can PM me if you are interested.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

I DO have a 118a RG laying around...if you still
need one.

Key system that will last forever. No software bugs there. Just someone wiring it wrong!'

mjc
ohhh my...you mean these things still have some value?? I just disposed of three or four of these...bummer...

DT98

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,623 Shoretel
189,512 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024