web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#487124 01/29/10 04:40 PM
OP Offline
I want to use the common ringing feature on this ksu. Only problem is, where does the sl/y pair going out to the sets connect on the block inside the ksu? I had that pair wired to line 1 but now I have 2 lines and would like them both to ring at all sets.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Kevin
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You will need to refer to BSP 518-255-401. See page 9, specifically.

Click

The tel set Sl/Y leads are attached to the pairs of pins 27 through 34, row A, that are labeled "B1" & "R1"

There are also pins 35 through 38, row A, that must be strapped for as many lines (1 through 4) that are to ring as a group. These are labeled "CA" (Common Audible)

The 551, however, does not come equipped with a ring generator supply. Originally, an outboard 20B2 power unit was mounted to provide generator, a case of overkill, so later, the 118A frequency generator was introduced. It is a small device, about 2" by 3" by 4", with a short 110Vac cord, and it can be mounted on a bracket (part number 841720857) that fits in a spot in the KSU.

Since even during the time that these were in service, the brackets were made of unobtainium, the field expedient was to mount the 118A with a tie-wrap around, and just in front of the interrupter.

The generator output leads from the 118A are punched down at the lower right, on pins 49 & 50, row E, labeled RG (tip) and 105V+/- (ring).

If you want selective (non "square") ringing, you must provide a diode matrix, generally mounted outboard of the KSU, and you must convert each set for matrix ringing by removing the network capacitor form the ringing circuit.

A less elegant solution is simply to assign the ringers in the tel sets to the T&R of the two CO lines, so some phones ring on line 1 and others ring on line 2. This can accomplished in either of two ways. You can assign the Sl/Y leads at the KSU to the T&R pins of the two lines, or you can open the sets and move the R/Bk ringer leads off RT & RR on the line key to the T & R terminal screws on the key, such as T1/R1, T2/R2, etc.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

by removing the network capacitor form the ringing circuit
..."FROM" the ringing circuit...

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
"Unobtainium".....Too funny and way too true!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Hi.
I appreciate the help, but this is way over my head!

I just need to know where to punch down the pair at the ksu. It worked before. After I moved, I reinstalled everything but couldn't figure out where to punch down the common ringer going out to the sets.

If anyone can tell me that, I'd be in phone heaven!!

Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin, do you know if your KSU has a ring generator? If not, you can use the CO line to ring just one line on the phone(s) by just connecting the yellow/slate pair to the incoming line right at the KSU.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Kevin -

Like Ed said, the big question is - do you have a ring generator?

The standard power supply for a shoebox did not come with one. It was an added item, and like Arthur describes, it's usually a little black box that would be wired to the last set of pins on the bottom right side of the system punch block.

If you have one of those, then wire the SL/Y from the phone to one set of the B1/R1 pins on the middle of the left side of the system block. Below them are the CA (Common audible) leads - strap the first two CAs together with a piece of jumper wire. You're in like flint and the phones should ring when either of the lines ring.

If you DON'T have a ringing supply, then you'll have to wire one or more phones to ring on one line and another phone(s) to ring on the other line. This can be done by wiring the Y/S pair across Tip and Ring of each line back at the KSU or by opening the set and moving the Red & Black wires from the ringer off of the Y/S pair to the particular Tip & Ring of the line you want to ring.

You could also add an external telephone bell at each location you want to ring. (The ringer in the set would ring on line 1 and you could wire the external ringer to ring on line 2).

I hope this explains it. If not, come back and ask again.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Hey guys. Yes, it does have a ring generator.

Kevin
OP Offline
Sam - you're the man! Everything works great! Thanks for your help.

K

Kevin
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Glad to hear it worked out. We're always happy to help.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (dans, Toner, Curlycord), 106 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024