Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#487625 01/04/11 06:58 PM
OP Offline
Here is my current 1A2 project. So far, I have the KSU mounted onto a painted (Weco Grey, er, at least I hope it aproximates Weco Grey)plywood board. It contains two WE 400D KTU cards, a 28A1 power unit, and mechanical flasher.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

I intend to use a WE 415A line tie card to tie this to a second as yet acquired system in this unit as well as a MOH card (eventually).

I have two CO line inputs at the very bottom that connect with two 42A blocks. As you can see, the covers are brown, though I would prefer grey.

To the side of the unit, I have a 60 block, properly mounted (I hope), but have not connected it to the KSU yet.

I also have the proper WE ring generator for this unit (I think I bought it from Sam), but not the proper mounting bracket. I might mount it with velcro until I can find the right metal bracket for this.

Now my questions. First of all, the cross connect wire that I have is basic blue/white. I intend to connect the KSU to the block that is now on the board, then connect that to type 60 blocks with the amphenol connectors on it to connect to my phones. Should I use different wire colors for connecting the KSU to the first block? Or would it be proper (Weco proper, that is) to use just blue and white wire?

Ulitmately, I will also have a Melkor unit on this as well for intercom use.

This is the 645HL phone that I cleaned up. It came from Kirtland AFB, and was oxidized to a nice shade of brown. I was able to bring the moss green back with very fine waterproof sandpaper and then the plastic polish kit. As you can see, the only thing that I could not properly clean is the dial face. I was afraid that I would destroy the numbers if I did the same thing to it. Any suggestions?

Well, that is if for now. I hope to have an update in a few days.

All the best

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#487626 01/05/11 01:42 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

Good luck with your project. It looks like you're well on your way to having a lot of fun.

You should use 3 pair cross connect for the output cross connects and use the single pair for the inputs, the intercom buzzers, ringers, etc.

Blue/white is good in my book. Though some purists may insist on blue/yellow. When I went to work for GTE they used Orange/white for single pair.

I do believe that Ed Vaughn once had a post where he listed every color cross connect with it's appropriate use; try searching for it.

Definitely do NOT use single pair for everything - it makes troubleshooting difficult.

You can test your 415 cards to make sure they work by putting them in positions 3&4 of the ksu and wiring them together. When you go off hook on one the other should ring, and vice versa. It would be a shame to buy a 2nd ksu only to find you've got a bad 415 card.

Good luck and come back anytime with questions.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#487627 01/05/11 04:07 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Joe, somewhere on this site is a link to information about a mixture of oxi-clean and hydrogen peroxide used to remove color change oxidation from plastic parts. Apparently works pretty well, even some here have tried it. HOWEVER, quite likely, it will remove the numbers as well as the oxidation. You're on your own as to whether or not to try it. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#487628 01/05/11 08:46 AM
It looks like a good start. Like Sam said, 3 pair cross connect wire for the keysets. wh/bl, wh/or, wh/gn pairs.
I especially like the color of the phone. Fits my last name laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487629 01/05/11 10:40 AM
Taking your points in no particular order:

Congratulations on your decision to play with REAL telephones. I have been working with these for over 45 years, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The Blocks are called 66M-50. 66 style, M as in Mini, 50 as in the number of pairs provided. (25 each side)

The phone is a 564 or 565. The first 5 refers to the 500-family, the 6 refers to 6 keys, and the last number is a 4 if it has no speakerphone leads, and a 5 if it does.

The Bell System designed things to last forever. The numbers and letters on the 7, 8 and 9-type rotary dials (as well as the numbers and letters on 25 and 35 type TT dials) go all the way through, using an injection method. You can sand away and you will never wear them off. Look at the back of the dial plate and you will see confirmation of this.

You need 3-pair for interconnecting the KSU block (the one you have mounted) and the other 66 blocks that feed the phones. We also need to talk to you about bridging clips and the "home-run" concept.

Use 3-pair for all CO, ICM, and tie line appearances on key telephones. Any unused conductors are traditionally wrapped around the ends, like the whipping on a rope end, so that in the event that they are needed in the future, you won't need to re-run the cross-connection. Please call me and I will explain in detail. It's too much to type, and I occasionally get hate mail through this Forum when I get too wordy in my explanations.

Generally, the only thing we use the 1-pair for is CO feeds. There are some exceptions.

To interconnect the KSU to the first block, you need a short piece of 25-pair cable. It will essentially mimic the block connections inside the KSU. It comes out the bottom mouse hole of the KSU and runs horizontally over to the bottom of the 66 block, then it fans out along the left column of pins on the block, in the traditional color code. Inside the KSU it picks up the first 12 pairs for the 4 CO line appearances, and the yellows or violets are used to send power (A, B, Buzzer, Lamp, Ground) to the block for interconnection to the intercom unit.

A "Melco" or "Teltone" intercom unit gets its own 66M-50 block, and cross-connections are made from it to the appropriate pins on the station 66 blocks.

The metal bracket that holds the generator supply in the KSU is made of unobtainium. I use a long tie-wrap and fasten it around the interrupter. (That's the correct word for the mechanical motor-driven device that gives you the cadences for ringing and lamps.)

You can reach me anytime at 631- 749 - 0100 or toll-free 866 - 749 - 0100.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#487630 01/05/11 11:37 AM
Rule #1 of 1A2...Talk to Arthur Bloom!
I found some 42A blocks with gray covers but they are marked up with sharpie/labels from over the years. If you want them, I will be happy to send them your way.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487631 01/05/11 04:46 PM
And I have some cleaner pads that work wonders on ink & labels. pm me or give me an address to send you some.

#487632 01/06/11 07:22 AM
Jim...what are they called? sounds intriguing!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487633 01/06/11 08:11 AM
OP Offline
I just want to thank everybody for their kind help and suggestions. I have taken a lot of notes so that I will wire this correctly. I will be using this in the metal out building (heated, cooled, concrete floor, insulated) at our new residence. I collect old teletypes, and this will be my teletype/radio/phone/rtty shop. The better half will be pleased that there will not be a teletype hammering away next to the dryer at two in the morning. :-) Eventually, I would like to set up another small KSU in the house, and tie the two of them together with 415 cards.

I started this project late last year (2009), and had to stop as I spent a year serving on the advisement board for the department of elementary and secondary ESL instruction in my state, which along with teaching undergrads took up every waking moment of my life. Never again.

Now I am semi-retired (I can never really stop working, I would go bonkers) so now I can play with my toys, grow pecan trees and enjoy the wife and grandkids.

Thanks again!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#487634 01/06/11 11:18 AM
Joe, if you happen to be a member of Green Keys, you will find a good friend of mine, Larry Tighe ("Larry Radio") who is also a 1A2 enthusiast.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487635 01/06/11 01:44 PM
Semi-retired means you really don't have enough hours in the day to do what you have to do. aok

#487636 01/06/11 02:23 PM
OP Offline
@ Jim...

How true, how true. :-)

#487637 01/07/11 11:41 AM
Sent the covers out today!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487638 01/09/11 09:36 AM
OP Offline
Thank you all for the great suggestions and information on this project of mine.

Here is my next question:

When I go to wire the KSU to the first block using 25 pair, should I remove enough jacket on the 25 pair cable so that the bundle of pairs (minus jacket) will come up from the bottom of the KSU box (on the inside) up over the hook in the upper left corner, then down to the punchdown block, or should I simply take the wire bundle from the bottom of the KSU box on up the right side of the block.

I hope that this question makes sense... :-)

My second question is, should the other end of that 25 pair go under the first punchdown with the individual pairs coming up the side through their appropriate slots or should the bundle come up along the side of the block?

Thank you again for all the help!

Joe

#487639 01/09/11 12:27 PM
here you can sort of see how I routed the cable for my KSU...
[img]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/jeffmoss26/1068.jpg?t=1294619229[/img]
This is an old picture and the cables now come in from the top as I have rewired.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487640 01/09/11 01:12 PM
Strip enough sheath off the KSU end so that the stripped part begins just inside the mousehole. Then take the entire bundle of wires and go up and over the brass-colored hook at the top, then down to the appropriate pins on the 66 block, leaving a small amount for mistakes, moves and changes. There won't be many, but it pays to look ahead, as if you were doing a real installation. Jeff's picture shows it perfectly.

At the other end, the cable enters the "tunnel" between the 89B bracket and the 66M50 block at the bottom, and the stripped pairs get pulled through the spaces on the bracket, and get fanned out along the first (left-most) column of pins on the block.

Some brackets are different from others. You need to either send all the pairs through the central space, or half the pairs (12) through the top space and the other half (13) through the bottom space.

Neatness counts.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487641 01/10/11 09:16 PM
OP Offline
Hi again!

Here is an update on my project...

So far, I have been given a short bit of 25 pair cable, and followed Arthur's guidlines and connected the KSU to the first block.

Photos below.

Please comment and critique. I take all suggestions seriously, and please do not worry about hurting my feelings. This is the first time that I have ever done this, so I am sure that there is much room for improvement. I will tell you that I would be fired from the old phone company, as this took me hours to do, as I kept checking my color code chart and block number. I tried to be as neat as possible, and to leave extra wire for future use or re-doing. I could not find any grey electrical tape anywhere, so I had no choice in using black. The big thick black ground wire will be removed and replaced with a green one, though I realize grey is the correct color. I again, cannot find any grey solid 10 ga wire anywhere.

Now, the next step is to install the station blocks, the Melkor unit and its' block, and connect everything together.

One thing so far that I have learned is this... always use a bigger back board than you think you need.

I attached the 25 pair cable to the back board with these fiddley Weco dumaflopies that a phone man at work gave me. He took them off of an old Bell System installation, and they are basically a little strap of mild steel with a hole in the middle of them to screw them onto the backboard with. The tabs are then bent around the cable. They are the proper Weco grey, but were not the most cooperative thing to work with.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far, and especially Arthur who has given me some excellent advice on wiring this thing.

Please feel free to comment and criticize, and I will attempt to correct anything that might be not up to snuff.

Joe

#487642 01/11/11 02:10 AM
A +

I can send you gray tape and #10 ground wire, as soon as I can find my barn under the snow drifts.

asAs far as taking the time to do it right, remeber the old Union vs management adage:

"Never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to fix it."

Arthur P. Bloom

#487643 01/11/11 03:29 AM
I enjoyed seeing your project. We used to call it a "Lunch Box". We used only yellow/blue for our co feeds (T/R) and buzzer/misc. wiring and 3 pair jumper wire for T1/R1, A/A1, LG/L leads.
We did not care for the White/Blue because, at least in our case, it was a larger diamater and not as flexable thus harder to work with.

From your pictures I see your making the wiring neat and orginized. Usually they looked like a rats nest when you opened the cover!

Good Luck.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
#487644 01/11/11 08:45 AM
OP Offline
Hi again,

Thank you Arthur for the A+. That is a real compliment coming from you! I will send a PM shortly.

I have thought of several new questions now.

First, I realize that the ring generator was supposed to be mounted inside, but that the bracket that was meant for that use is now non-existant. I was thinking that I might fabricate a bracket out of angle aluminum, and mount it outside of the KSU and bring a sheathed 2 wire cable into the lunchbox to hook it up. What are your thoughts?

Second, (this is a silly question) where do I hook up the ring generator to in the KSU?

Next, I have suddenly come to the realization that if I am going to take the hobby of Weco keysets seriously, that I ought to find an Amp "butterfly" tool to terminate the ends of the cable runs. I have looked for new ones and they run almost a thousand dollars. I have found others on E-bay for fifty or sixty, complete with plastic case and instructions. If I go this route as opposed to buying premade cables (which would pay for a tool in a few runs), what should I look for in a used one?

Again, thank you for entertaining the questions of someone who really has no idea what he is doing! :-)

Best to all,

Joe

#487645 01/11/11 09:21 AM
I had a similar issue with mounting the ring generator. I used two small brackets meant for hanging pictures that have d-rings on them...2 screws in the back of the ring generator and 2 screws on the wall.
https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Mounted%20D-Ring.jpg
The single pair of wires connects to RG and RB on the block.
PS What exactly is a 'dumafloppie'...can you take a picture of what you used to mount the cable :p

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487646 01/11/11 02:59 PM
OP Offline
Jeff,

This is a "dumafloppie", a made up word for something that I do not know what the correct term is. :-)

They are basically little metal clips that screw to the backboard, and the tabs on either side of the mounting screw folds over the cable.

They are hard to manipulate, so I used a small pair of ignition pliers and a light touch to bend the tabs over the cable.

They do seem to do the job nicely.

Best

Joe

#487647 01/11/11 03:59 PM
I have never seen those...I normally use cable ties and a small plastic mount made by Panduit...
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/p...ZBT9qaCHSEnLsFGSyTZt4G4sapnBoOPT03IW=s90[/img]
I also have loads of metal one hole straps in various sizes, courtesy of our good friend Ed Vaughn.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487648 01/11/11 04:42 PM
OP Offline
Hi Jeff,

Yeah, they are hard to attach and hard to put into place around the cable, but once they are in place, they do a good job of holding the cables.

Keep an eye on this thread, I will be regularly posting updates on this project.

Best,

Joe

#487649 01/11/11 05:38 PM
When I was with PT&T we just bent them with our fingers and finished with butt end of a screwdriver.

#487650 01/12/11 02:01 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:

Joe -

As I recall, they were called "cable clasps". We used them extensively in the '60s and early '70s. We pretty much stopped using them when tyrap buttons came out.

Like Jim, we bent them with our fingers and finished them off with the butt end of the screw driver or with the small end of that brilliant phone company hammer we used to call a "dum-dum".

I don't think I've used a cable clasp in almost 40 years or seen one in 35 years.

Sam

#487651 01/12/11 07:41 AM
OP Offline
Sam, that is neat! My KSU was made in 1960 (at least that is the date stamp on the box) and I have the clasps from possibly the same era. I know, I know, (my wife tells me that I am a natural antiquarian)but I simply find the technology of that era quite fascinating and a heck of a lot more robust that todays. (Except medical technology...I will take today's medical tech over anything) I would be quite willing to place a small wager that my old tube amateur radios, teletypes and this old KSU would survive any EMP or class X solar flare, whild my computers, the internet and my modern Icom radios would be toast.

Any way, thanks for the info Sam. I will continue to post updates for this project.

Joe

#487652 01/13/11 10:24 AM
I found a roll of gray tape still in the bag. You can have it if you want it. It is 3/8inch by 15 yards. The bag reads: C Vinyl L.O. Gray Spec AT 7610. It was manufactured in the USA so there is a very good chance it is the correct Bell System Gray.

#487653 01/13/11 02:11 PM
I'm glad you found a roll, because I struck out in the barn and the truck.

The tape you found is probably color suffix -61, and the one I was looking for was -49 (light olive gray) to match the cable.

In the real world, we seldom used tape at the ends of cables. It was too time-consuming. The preferred method is to create a sort of bushing at the end of the sheath. You use the stripping cord and cut it off at the proper point. Then grasp the loose conductors in one hand, and with the other hand, pull the split sheath back away from the conductors, until it turns inside out, like rolling up a sleeve. Then trim the folded part to a length of about an inch.

Outside plant cables, with sharp metal ternplate sheaths, were a different matter, of course.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487654 01/13/11 02:51 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
What Arthur said.

I remember folding a "collar" on 25 pair cables back in the early '70s. Then we stopped doing it. I can't remember why. Maybe because we started putting on our own amphenols? Maybe we felt it didn't do anything? Maybe we just got lazy?

The only cables where we consistently taped the ends were shielded cables. Then we either taped or heat-shrunk the ends.

Sam

#487655 01/13/11 04:12 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Ahh yes, the collar fold-back. Me too. I always did that in exposed terminals where the end of the sheath was visible.

I also slid a piece of empty sheath over the unused pairs in a terminal or KSU rather than twisting them all up. That way, all of the pairs stayed straight and in order. You could fish out the pair you needed and still keep the place neat.

Good housekeeping was the order of those days.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487656 01/13/11 05:56 PM
I saw a new closet being cabled today at school...300 pair cable going in. 100 pairs were taped up going to 1 set of blocks and 200 were taped up going to another set. It looked terrible!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487657 01/14/11 02:40 AM
We installed equipment not with ourselves in mind but with regard to the next installer/repairman that had to come out to the customer. You didn't want him or her spending hours trying to figure out your wiring or have them have to spend time listening to an irrate customer complain about the sloppy work and mess you left behind.

#487658 01/14/11 05:45 AM
I was cleaning out my stash and in addition to the roll of tape I found four medium clasps, clamps, or as we called them "butterflies", and a small assortment of small medium and large "Hook" type clamps you are welcome to. I got bridge clips if you need them.

#487659 01/14/11 08:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I have one more question pertaining to my 1A2 project.

I am mounting the ring generator external to the lunch box KSU, as I do not have a clamp for mounting it inside. I will thus have to run a connection into the KSU to hook it up, and was wondering if it would have been acceptable in the days of the Bell System to run the connecting wire through the top mouse hole or would it have been proper to only run it through the bottom mouse hole? I know that this is a rather trivial point, but I am trying to keep this as close to WECO standards as possible as I wish to use this as a working display of what things used to be like.

Thank you much,

Joe

#487660 01/14/11 09:01 AM
Joe, that KSU was never designed to have the ring generator mounted inside, unlike the 551C. The most professional way to run the ring generator input is to use a piece of quad wire and bring it into the bottom hole of the cabinet. Don't bring it through the hole with the power cord though. There is supposed to be a plastic grommet for the power cord to pass through that effectively prevents any other wiring through.

Those are as hard to find as the ring generator mounting bracket, also made from 'unobtainium'.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487661 01/14/11 10:45 AM
Ed, the 118A was available with a sheet metal bracket that allowed installation in the earlier shoeboxes.

See page 5 of THIS BSP.

Using the photo as a guide, it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a home-brew bracket that could be pop-riveted to the door.

--------------------

PS: the nick-name for the 551 series KSU is "shoe box."

The nick-name "lunch box" refers to the 331A tel set. (local battery, magneto, portable telephone)

The nick-name "cigar box" refers to the 105-type apparatus mounting box.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487662 01/14/11 12:12 PM
Woah, that's right Arthur. I completely forgot about those brackets, mainly because I never saw them in these parts.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487663 01/14/11 02:53 PM
OP Offline
Thankyou for the info you two!

I will run the wire through the bottom mouse hole. I have a bit of quad coming my way, (and I also bought a T-18 staple gun as well to mount it), and will get it hooked up soon as it arrives.

Thank you again!

Joe

#487664 01/17/11 03:41 AM
Joe,
The parts are bagged and tagged and I will take them to the post office tomorrow.

Jo

#487665 01/17/11 08:42 AM
Bell System techs may recall that those cable clasps were manufactured by the M.M. Rhodes and Sons company of Taunton,Mass.for Western Electric.This company also made the inside wiring nails used with twisted pair,triple and quad gs station wire, B station wire nails used with jkt wire, and the small one hole cable clamps used with 6 and 25 pair inside wiring cables.Amazingly, this company is still in business [founded in 1870]. They manufacture bx and romex staples,and galvanized cable clamps.Their website has an interesting display of fastening devices they have manufactured over the years.

#487666 01/17/11 09:59 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for the info! I find that to be quite interesting. I will go to their site and give it a look.

Now another question... what block position in the KSU would be 10 volts and ground? I want to hook an indicator lamp up to that to show that there is power to the unit.

Thanks again for the help!

Joe

#487667 01/17/11 10:02 AM
In one of my recent posts, I included a link to a BSP for the 550 and 551 KSU.

The connection diagrams are in there.

Click and print, would be my suggestion.

click

Arthur P. Bloom

#487668 01/17/11 10:38 AM
OP Offline
Thank you Arthur! I have printed, and placed in my phone binder for reference.

This should help with wiring tomorrow!

Photos to follow.

Joe

#487669 01/17/11 07:19 PM
OP Offline
For everyone who has been following this story, here is an update on my progress so far.

Tonight I installed the ring generator on the back board using a metal bracket. Who knew that Lowes sells a bracket for such a thing...I mean, a ready made bracket complete with pre-drilled holes for the ring generator! (not really, it is a bracket used in house framing to bring it up to "hurricane specifications", and it was by simple dumb luck that the holes matched up). I wired it with a bit of the quad that Ed sent me.

Next, I installed a "beehive lamp" on top of the back board to indicate power to the unit. I connected it to the KSU with another bit of quad, and hooked it to the 10 volt lamp B and lamp Ground (LB & LG). The BSP that Arthur pointed me to had all of the info that I needed.

I tried to take a photo of this with the unit plugged in and the beehive light on, but the flash all but made it impossible to see. I am really pumped as this is the first time that I have plugged this thing in, and there is no smoke or flames!

I am waiting for a T18 staple gun to arrive so that I can button up the quad properly onto the backboard. It is a bit sloppy now.

Tommorow (weather permitting) I will go to the communications supply dealer that I use and buy the first block for the telephones (with the amp connectors) and a straight punchdown block for the Melkor unit.

Feel free to comment or suggest!

Best to all,

Joe

P.S. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that the power wire to the unit is not to be attached to the backboard or ran parallel to any signal wires or cables. Is it acceptable for the wire to cross over the signal cable? Note that I did not attach the ring generator power cable to the backboard, and it is several inches from any cables, but it does for a few inches run somewhat parallel to the signal cables. Is that OK or should I try to change it somehow?

Thanks again!

Joe

#487670 01/18/11 07:41 AM
I would hesitate to go out and buy a block with an Amp connector. That will only allow you to plug in one telephone, or plug in one cable that would need to be split further down stream. The accepted method is to use a 66M50 block for every two 25-pair cables going to phones. You cut down the stub ends of the cables on the blocks, and the amphenol connectors (female) go towards the phones, where they plug (male) in.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487671 01/18/11 01:44 PM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

I didn't see your post until after I got home today. I did get one punchdown block with dual AMP connectors, and two blocks without (one for the other two phones and one for the Melkor unit). I wanted one with the plugs so that I could immediately start using it before I move next month without having cables dangling from the punch blocks. Once I move, I will attach the backboard to the wall in the Utility room, and use the punchdown blocks for the phones.

On another note, my T18 staple gun arrived today, and works quite well with the quad cable.

Pictures to follow when I finish with the cross connects.

Joe

#487672 01/18/11 04:24 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

This evening, I wired the cross connects, double checked my work, plugged in my phone to the block, and plugged in the KSU. Power came on, no smoke.

Next, I unplugged the KSU from the power, attached the CO line to the KSU, plugged everything back in, again no smoke.

I was able to get a dial tone when the line button was pushed, the line button lights as it is supposed to, the hold works, the line button flashes when on hold.

I was able to dial out and talk on the phone as normal. I was able to use the hold as normal and then take the line off hold to resume speaking.

I can dial in, and receive a call.

The only problem is that the phone will not ring.

Did I "ding" the phone or the KSU? (Sorry for the really bad pun.) I am assuming that something is not connected correctly, most likely in the phone itself.

Any Ideas?

By the way, I am really pumped about getting this far, and have dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back! I could not have done this without all of the help and parts, both freely offered to a complet neophyte.

Thanks again!

Best to all,

Joe

#487673 01/18/11 04:35 PM
More than lkely it is the wiring in the phone on the kts the yl/sl is used for the common bell pair and depends on the wiring may be made to ring the cb or as a line bell. research your bsps

#487674 01/19/11 05:26 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
What Jim said.

Look in your KSU. On the left side of the block, on the left, in the middle are a bunch of terminals marked B1, R1. There should be six of them. These are the ringing terminals for each line. Strap together all the lines you want to ring (B to B and R to R) and then cross connect the Yellow/Slate pair of the phone to the (strapped) B1R1 group.

Dial one of the lines in the group, the phone should now ring.

Sam

#487675 01/19/11 07:58 AM
Probably only need to strap the Ring side of each pair. I think the Tips are already commoned in the back-wiring.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487676 01/19/11 08:57 AM
You can't expect to know everything. Click this and print it.

After a few thousand telephones, you'll have it memorized.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487677 01/19/11 10:53 AM
1A2 was great. Hardly any trunkers.
No DIY.
Want to move you 10 btn BLF phone with Diode Matrix ringing? No, it's not 10 min job.

Want a voice announce ICM? Nice add on job.
Cable and install 4 phones, nice add on job. :toast: :toast:

#487678 01/19/11 06:50 PM
OP Offline
Hi again,

Well, I connected the RIs to eachother and the BIs to eachother, then to the yellow/slate of the phone set.

Still no bell on incoming call.

I tested for bell voltage on CO line, and it was there (when called) and I tested the BI/RI and there was no voltage.

I am going back to study the BSP, and I do remember that there was a dashed line going from the ring generator (49 and 50) to the BI and RI, but I want to confirm that with those of you that know what is what with this system.

One other question... Isn't the line button supposed to flash or come on when there is an incoming call? Mine do not, yet they light when pushed and they wink when on hold. (And I hear the interupter as well.)

Thanks again for all of the help!
I will not give up until this thing is working...
Then I will have to study the mysteries of intercom and plumb the secrets of the 415 cards...

Joe

Th

#487679 01/19/11 08:43 PM
OP Offline
Hi again,

Im burning the midnight lamp and have been looking at this and trying different things.

One thing that I did was to look inside the telephone, and make sure that the bell was connected. (It was.) Then I put the cover back on, and applied ring voltage to the yellow/slate pair, and it rang (whether or not the hook was up).

I double checked my wiring, and it was right... I took a crossconnect pair to the RI/BI to the telephone slate yellow pair (Pins 39 and 40).

I also strapped the RIs all together as suggested. The BIs according to the BSP are factory linked and I confirmed this.

I do think that there is something not right with my phone however, as only the first line button will bring up a 400 KTU or light up. The others do nothing. I checked my other KTU, and tried the telephone on the other station line. Same thing.

Right now, however, I am concentrating on getting the phone to ring when a call comes into the first TR pair.

Thank you again for all of the help.

Now off to bed...

Joe

#487680 01/19/11 11:33 PM
Joe,

With the phone disconnected take a lamp out of button 5 or 6 hold it across the Lg & L punchings on the 66 block of line one and see if the interrupter flashes the light. We used to take the eraser out of a pencil and put the lamp end into it to the eraser hole so you could work with it. Shorting the A & A1 leads with a needle nose should activate the 400 unit.

#487681 01/19/11 11:34 PM
PS: call line one while doing the lamp test

#487682 01/20/11 01:38 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well we know the ring generator works, because it can ring the phone directly. If the line lamp does not flash on incoming I'm suspecting the interruptor - which also might be the reason the line is not ringing through the card.

Troubleshoot this problem the normal way - check for ring generator at every point:
-Is it coming out of the sub cycle unit?
-Does it appear on the block at pins RG/RB?
-Is it coming out of the line card on the appropriate pins?
-Do you have it on the B1/R1 leads?

Etc.

Keep at, you'll get it.

Sam

#487683 01/20/11 04:45 AM
What if he connected Tip & Ring to T1 & R1. As I recall, that will prevent tripping the ring detector, starting the interrupter, etc.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#487684 01/20/11 05:03 AM
On my system I connected a piece of wire from T/R to the Y/SL terminals to make the phones ring...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487685 01/20/11 05:54 AM
Looking good Joe - You're further alone with the backboard etc. than I've gotten pth loose equipment, but I do have one question that I didn't see in a quick scan of this thread:

Are you using a "real" phone line, and is the KSU properly grounded? I've found problems trying to use simulators and or extension ports from phone systems to supply dial tone - partly due to the reason that some versions of the 400 KTU were looking for ring voltage between tip and ground (or was it ring and ground) instead of tip-to-ring as supplied by most current equipment.

#487686 01/20/11 06:17 AM
You all missed a clue:

No flash on incoming.

He hasn't grounded the KSU.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487687 01/20/11 06:19 AM
jknichols has a valid thought! The first 1A2 system I ever put in, I assumed (there's that word again) the AC outlet ground would be adequate. WRONG! I had to run an EARTH ground! Wouldn't recognize incoming ring until I did, then everything worked.

#487688 01/20/11 06:35 AM
If all the wiring checks out OK,there is the possibility that the line cards have been damaged. 1A2 equipment became available in the mid-sixties, but it took nearly a decade for Bell Labs to recognise what was causing a maddeningly intermittant line card failure. BSP 518-010-108 issue 4 states that when local frequency generators[110 volts,30hertz] are used for common audible signalling with ringers, large transients can be generated with high enough voltage to damage line cards and blow fuses. The fix they came up with was the 141a protector, which was just a 68k resistor in a small plastic case that plugged across the 66 clips for each pair of b1 and r1 terminals. The 141a protectors were required at all new installations and on existing installations when visited for a service call.{Only for 400d line cards-400g&h line cards have internal protection.]

#487689 01/20/11 08:23 AM
Hey, Joe TTY:

Take a piece of cross-connection wire, and fasten one end to the ground block in the KSU and the other end to the screw in the outlet. Then try an incoming call. Tell us if the interrupter starts.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487690 01/20/11 10:21 AM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I am at work now, but I will try the ground tonight and report back. I will also try the 10V lamp thing between the LG and LB pins on the block.

Joe

#487691 01/20/11 10:56 AM
OP Offline
One other thing... I do have 400D KTU cards. However, I do hear the relay 'clunk' when I depress the line button. I do not know if they are damaged or not. Also, once the line one button is depressed, I get a dial tone and am able to use the line (sans ringing). I am anxious to get home to try grounding the unit.

Best,

Joe

#487692 01/20/11 12:14 PM
Western Electric 400D KTU's need a local ground for the ring-up circuit to operate properly.

It's not a protection ground wire, so don't go crazy with a large gauge wire. Just a piece of X-conn or quad wire with all four leads twisted together is sufficient. Quad makes a nicer-looking solution.

Other WE later issues, and San/Bar 4000F cards, for example, do not require the ground.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487693 01/20/11 12:47 PM
If your dial tone comes from a non-ILEC ATA,and you use 400D's, you'll be SOL. You'll need the SB 4000F's.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487694 01/20/11 12:59 PM
OP Offline
My phone service is a simple POTS line. There is no DSL or call waiting or even caller ID. (Right now, I get internet access through CATV. At the new diggs, we will have Hughes net until either CATV or DSL gets out that far.)

I have checked the polarity of the POTS line, and it is correct.

I will indeed try grounding the system tonight and seeing what happens!

Best,

Joe

#487695 01/20/11 01:13 PM
Arthur...so should I replace my 12 gauge green wire with some quad? lol

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487696 01/20/11 01:17 PM
Joe, I'm going to jump on the band wagon here. Using 400D cards requires a solid ground and proper line polarity, period. Series E,F,G and H cards by WE and other manufacturers overcame this by introducing bridged ringing (across tip/ring) vs: grounded ringing (across ring/ground).

While this sounds as if it was an upgrade, the grounded ringing ability gave us plenty of tricks up our sleeves, like ringing multiple lines to a single ringer without a ring generator.

That required a 'real' central office with a truly grounded tip side of the CO line, something that is apparently optional these days.

One last suggestion is that you should check for a fairly large-gauge (18AWG?) white wire connected to the ground bar at the top of the 66 block in your KSU. Make sure that it is present and connected. If all else fails, use a piece of cross-connect wire to provide a true ground to any of the "G" terminals on the power supply. They are all common, so any of them will suffice.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487697 01/20/11 01:47 PM
OP Offline
Hi Ed,

There is a heavy gauge white wire at the top of the 66 block. I will check to see that this is common to the G terminals (using an ohmmeter).

With the ground connection that I will make tonight, should that be to an electrical box ground or a water-pipe ground (or both)?

Joe

#487698 01/20/11 03:29 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ifpossible, check continuo between the cold water pipe and an electrical ground. It should be 0 ohms. If it isn't use the water pipe.

Sam

#487699 01/20/11 06:14 PM
OP Offline
I HEAR BELLS! :banana: :db:

My 1A2 phone system works! It rings on incoming calls, the line one button flashes, I can answer, hang up, place on hold... everything that it is supposed to do.

THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME WITH THIS!

To think that it was a simple ground issue! I connected the ground bar at the top of the 66 block to a cold water pipe using a hose clamp (the perm. install will use a proper ground clamp and # 10 solid copper wire in proper WECO grey), and without getting my hopes too high, I dialed in. IT WORKED!

Now, I need to figure out line two, and how to get that to work, but at least I have a working phone system!

Can you tell I am happy???

Now I need to find some more phones...

I will be back with a few extra questions tomorrow!

Best to all,

Joe

#487700 01/20/11 07:02 PM
OP Offline
One last report... I forgot to mention that the KSU grounds were all connected to the ground bar at the top of the block.

Also, in my present abode, the resistance between the water pipe ground and electrical ground was abysmal, so I wound up using the water pipe ground.

I have not done the test with the light between the L and L1 terminals yet, but will do so tomorrow or next week. (I have to go out of town tomorrow, but I will check in with this board regularly).

The new house that we are moving into has had a complete electrical go through, and the new breaker panel is fully grounded. I had a whole house filter installed at the panel, and will instal a line filter at the outlet where the KSU will go. Eventually, I will put a UPS there as well, so I can use all of the features of the KSU if the power goes out.

Now that I have this working, I need to start accesorizing it! :-)

Best to all,

Joe

#487701 01/21/11 02:09 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
You all missed a clue:

No flash on incoming.

He hasn't grounded the KSU.
Good catch Arthur!

Sam

#487702 01/21/11 07:35 AM
Actually, to keep it in true Haiku form, it should have read:

You all missed a clue.

No flash on incoming calls.

He did not ground box.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487703 01/21/11 09:30 AM
OP Offline
Next week I will connect a CO line to the second line on my KSU. Is there a specific slot on the KSU that the 400D KTU needs to be in? (The first line KTU is in the upper left slot looking at the KSU from the front.)

I will report what happens when I do this. Also, pictures will be posted on Sunday night.

#487704 01/21/11 10:00 AM
OP Offline
Things I have learned so far about this project...

1> GROUND GROUND GROUND GROUND! I had no clue just how important that grounding is for this system to work properly! Now I know.

2> When planning for a smallish 1A2 system, add at least 50 percent to what you think you will need for backboard dimensions.

3> Use a <i>high quality</i> type 66 punchdown bit. I have a really nice Fluke Networks punch down tool, but the bit that came with it got dull after a few punches. I went and spent the premium to get an 'eversharp' bit, and it works much better.

4> CO TR voltages can bite you!

5> Working on this 1A2 project has been a blast!

Best to all,

Joe

#487705 01/21/11 10:11 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
All the slots are hard wired to specific locations on the punch block. I believe on that KSU slot two is to the right of slot 1. Slot 3 is directly below #1 and slot 4 is to the right of #3. To test, insert a card in a slot and then short the appropriate A&A1 leads. You'll here the card click. Move the card to another location and verify what's what.

On most of the other key systems, the cards started with #1 on the left and went straight across, but there were exceptions.

Grounding is crucial with telephony. So crucial that I didn't even think about it. You install a Telephone system. You ground it. No questions, no ifs, ands or buts. KSUs took a #12, Small PBXs took a #6 and bigger systems took bigger grounds. Much bigger.

But everything was always grounded.

Glad you're having a good time with the project.

Sam

#487706 01/21/11 10:49 AM
We had a clerk, Suzy, in our field office in New York City during the 1970's who would answer the foreman's line and then transfer the call from a repairman to the appropriate foreman. We would call in when we had a real weird problem, or needed some info from a BSP that we didn't have on the truck.

Suzy had overheard the foremen over the years to the point that even though she didn't know anything about phones, if the foreman was busy, she would always ask "Did you check the ground?" or "Did you check the violet leads?"

If we said "Yes" then she'd be stumped, and let us talk to the boss.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487707 01/22/11 11:09 AM
OP Offline
Once again, I have a complete noob question.

I have gotten my KSU and phone to ring on incoming and the light for line one behaves like it should. If I only had one line, this would be perfect.

However, I will have two incoming CO lines, and I have two 400D KTU cards. I realize that I need a three pair cross connect from the keyset to the connector, i.e., I have a three pair from the top six terminals going to the top six terminals of my keyset block. This is for line one.

In order to get line two to the same keyset, I need to take a second three pair cross-connect and connect the same keyset to the second set of six terminals on the main block to the keyset block, right? In other words, each keyset needs one three pair crossconnect for each line?

Thank you all again!

Joe

(P.S. I hope that I did not confuse everyone to death with this one...)

#487708 01/22/11 04:55 PM
I could be wrong but if I remember right, line 1 requires 3 pairs. The lamp grounds are commoned so it's 2.5 pairs for the other lines.

Someone make sure I am right smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#487709 01/22/11 05:15 PM
I sent you a link for the BSP covering the 2565HK telephone. Do you have it handy to refer to?

YES __________

NO __________

Arthur P. Bloom

#487710 01/22/11 07:20 PM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

Yes, I sure do!

However, I am not home, and will not be until Sunday night.

I will continue to study the BSP this evening.

Best,

Joe

#487711 01/22/11 09:11 PM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

Thank you! I figured it out from the BSP and was able to answer my own question. I will try better to figure these things out before I ask! wink

Best,

Joe

#487712 01/23/11 05:57 AM
The first pick up (PU, or line appearance) on every phone requires 6 wires. T, R, A, A1, LG, L.

All 6 wires in the cross-connection are terminated at both ends.

The A1 lead provides a ground, via the switch hook and NC contacts of the Hold key, for the first and all other A-lead contacts.

For every subsequent PU, all 6 wires are terminated at the KSU block, but at the station end of the cross-connection, the Orange/White lead is whipped around the other 5 leads, and the 5 leads are terminated on the station block. Inside the set, the A1 leads for the other PU keys are insulated and stored.

The above describes a standard 6-button phone. In 10-button phones, (830/2830 type) the spare A1 leads in the set become the A leads for the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th PU keys. It's OK if you terminate the A1 leads at the station block, but if you have to go back and upgrade the phone from a 6-button to a 10-button, you would need to disconnect those wires to allow the A leads from the extra PU's to be terminated.

In some telephones, the Lamp Ground leads inside the set are commoned, but the LG from each line card should be terminated to provide adequate lamp-ground return, especially on 10- 20- and 30-button sets, to prevent cross-modulation of the lamps during flash and wink sequences.

In a large system, the LG leads can be omitted when wiring house pairs to a distant closet where a bunch of phones will be terminated. In this case, a separate large ground bus is installed at the closet, and all the A1 and LG leads (and buzzer/ringer return grounds) are attached thereto. In addition, a lamp extender can also be installed with a separate 10 Vac supply in the closet to provide adequate lamp battery.

This method ensures an adequate ground and lamp supply near the phones, and allows the installer to use 2 house pairs per PU, making the job less confusing and more elegant in its symmetry.

In the earlier 1A systems that predated 1A1, the leads were called T, R, B and H. (for Balance and Hold.) Lamp ground and lamp were generally not used.

Installers in the 70's 80's and after, still occasionally referred to the A and A1 leads as the "Balance & Hold" leads.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487713 01/23/11 07:52 AM
Admin
Admin
What happened to T R A and L? The lines 2-9 of a 10 button set were somethimes shortcut wired with just those 4 leads. You guys sure used funny words :-)

#487714 01/23/11 08:06 AM
That method uses only one 24 gauge wire connected to one mounting cord lead for 9 lamp returns. See my remarks above about cross-modulation.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487715 01/23/11 09:28 AM
ttyjoe, the comment about dismal connection from earth/waterpipe ground to electrical ground is a concern. The resistance between the 2 should be under 1 ohm and better under 0.1 ohm! If it isn't and the electrical has been 'gone through', it's time to ask the electrician WHY!! Among other things , if the ground connection in the KSU's outlet actually does go to the 'ground/nuetral' buss in the electrical box, AND the ground lead in the KSU power cord is good and connected to the KSU's ground, YOU have now created 1; A ground loop (BAD) and 2; The ksu is now house ground (REALLY BAD). Things like 'shocking results' and KSU on fire, come to mind! OH, and GFI's throughout the house probably WON'T gfi. (Ground Fault Interrupt)

#487716 01/23/11 10:11 AM
OP Offline
Hi Lightninghorse,

The ground problem is in the current house, the new house that we are moving into has an excellent ground system. The entire (new) house was rewired last year, there is a whole house EMI filter system and all outlets are properly grounded. Here at my current home, I do not keep the KSU plugged in at this location except to work on it.

As far as the electrical system in this house, about four years ago, we had the bathroom and kitchen remodeled, and about half of the wiring in the house was replaced with good quality stuff. The other half is early 40's vintage and is horrible.

I am very anxious to move (Feb 1st!) and when I take the last box out if this place, lock the door, hand the key to the realator and kick the dust off of my shoes, I will be a happy man indeed!

Joe

#487717 01/25/11 08:16 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I continued to wire my cross-connects, and every thing seems to be working. I followed Arthur's instructions above, and connected the second line to the station block by connecting the five wires and wrapping the Orange/white around the bundle.

When I plugged the unit it, I was able to bring up each KTU with the appropriate key, the light came on, it worked when connected to the CO, and all is happy.

The only thing that I am concerned about Arthur is that you instructed me to disconnect the A1 leads inside the keyset and insulate them. I did not do that as I want to study the keyset BSP a little bit more, but do I need to do that for the remaining four keys even though I am only going to have two CO lines? (I will use the other three keys for a 415KTU, intercom and a spare for future functionality, maybe overhead paging. (Yes, I plan on installing house wide ceiling speakers and piping in elevator music... at least when my A-unit is not home :-)

I am too tired tonight to take apart my keyset, as I want to be quite alert so that I do not screw anything up inside there.

One a related note, I just scored another moss green keyset, and I have my eye on a Northern Electric keyset that has amber keys as well as two white keys and a red hold key.

Thank you again for all of the support!

Joe

#487718 01/26/11 01:18 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe-

No need to disco the A-1 leads in the set. Depending on the type of set, they may already be disconnected, but I don't believe there's any need for you to do so.

You will want to open the set to install a buzzer or other signaling device for your intercom.

Sam

#487719 01/26/11 01:25 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

Another option you might want to consider - depending on the layout of your house is a door answering/signaling system on one of the unused keys.

Someone goes to the door, rings the bell and PU key X flashes and the phone rings - on every phone in the house. You pick up the ringing line and speak handsfree to the guest. Push a signal button or unused key and open the door.

Just another common option.

Sam

#487720 01/27/11 09:12 AM
Question. Didn't we disconnect and chain the A1, A2,A3,A4,A5 leads inside the sets only when we needed extra leads for extra buzzers because there weren't enough spare leads inside the set?

#487721 01/27/11 01:29 PM
I will explain what I meant.

I was DESCRIBING the A1 leads, not PRESCRIBING what you should do.

The A1 leads are "insulated and stored" at the factory in 6-button sets. You do not have to do anything to them.

You will see the symbol † in BSP diagrams. That symbol is always used to indicate a lead that is "insulated & stored." Sometimes the installer does it, but most times the factory did it.

Arthur P. Bloom

#487722 01/27/11 02:21 PM
Exactly. There is only ONE legitimate A1 lead. All of the other 'would-be' A1 leads for subsequent line keys served no purpose and were insulated and stored. After all, where else would they go?

Of course, there is always the possibility with a non-factory refurb that these leads may have been used for some field modification. I guess that with this being said, it is worth it to make sure that none of them were used for something else.

I seriously doubt that any 1A2 sets are being refurbished these days by anyone who truly knows how they should be wired, so anything can happen.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487723 01/27/11 03:38 PM
OP Offline
Well since mine seems to be working fine, I will leave well enough alone. It does have a buzzer (the low voltage round one) mounted on the dial mount thing. Believe it or not, I remember seeing a rectangular buzzer that ran on 100 volts ring voltage in an old set that my uncle decided to "fix" years ago, then gave to me to put on my desk (not hooked up) as it never worked right after he "fixed" it.

I am very excited as next week is the big move, and shortly thereafter I will be installing my 1A2 unit. I will take and post photos. I have one moss green keyset that I have polished (except the dial face) and works fine as I said above. I have another moss green unit on the way that I am sure that will need the same treatment (green seems to oxidize more than the cream or black ones). Once I get the basic phone system installed, I will start on the intercom feature, then try to get a MOH unit and get that working.

Last thing on the agenda is to get my out-building (no, not an outhouse) built, where I will set up my teletypes, phones and radios, and I will attempt to use 415A cards to link the house 1A2 to the outbuilding 1A2 unit.

Making progress!

Thanks again for all of the help!

Joe

#487724 01/27/11 04:06 PM
OP Offline
One other little tidbit of info...

We are moving as I said above, but get this...

The new place will be in the countryside in North Western Missouri, outside of a defunct little town known as Roosterville. There is indeed a Roosterville airport that even has a paved runway and taxi-way!

Anyway, I am thinking when I get my outbuilding built and have my phone collection up and running, calling my display the Southwestern Roosterville Phone Co. :rolleyes: (SRP for short...)

I guess that I can then generate a bunch of RSP's... you know... Roosterville System Practices :rofl:

Sorry about the bad attempt at humor!

Joe

#487725 01/28/11 02:29 AM
KLD Offline
Joe,

Hmmmm, is that SRP anywhere near Linkville International Airport....or Ferrelview Regional Control?

:shrug:

Ken.

Ken
---------
#487726 01/28/11 02:45 AM
Joe, You mentioned that you were going to link the house and outbuilding with a ringdown line using the 415 ktu's. I am planning on doing the same thing in the spring (if the snow ever melts.)

The cable pairs that I will be using run underground from my house to a small detached garage. Do I need to use some type of circuit protection on these pairs?

#487727 01/28/11 03:19 AM
Joe, you wouldn't per chance be relocating to the Weston area, would you? Love their bourbon. smile

#487728 01/28/11 03:39 AM
To "Godfather": Yes, you should provide protection on the underground cable pairs, but standard gas-tube units will be more than sufficient.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487729 01/28/11 03:52 AM
Ed,

Would the telephone company circuit protectors such as the 123 type and the ones used in the NID's be sufficient? Although I think some of these are carbon block not gas tube.

What would you recommend?

Thanks...Lou

#487730 01/28/11 03:56 AM
The 123/128 units can use screw-in carbon or gas modules. If there is white paint on them, then they are gas. If just brass, then they are carbon. I'd prefer the gas ones, but keep in mind that 1A2 circuitry was designed to be pretty tough. Even carbon protection is better than nothing.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487731 01/28/11 05:08 AM
TTY Joe:

You need to join us HERE

Arthur P. Bloom

#487732 01/28/11 05:26 AM
OP Offline
@ Lightninghorse

Roosterville is actualy near the Kansas-Missouri border, and is about 10 miles North and thirty miles West of Roosterville. Roosterville is not on most maps anymore, as it is a ghost town, but the Roosterville airport is indeed on google maps and it does have some modern convienances, such as radio controlled lights, an attendant from (6:00 AM till dusk) and sheltered tie downs. It does not have a tower, however. There are over 90 planes that use the little airport as a base, and they get anywhere between 10 and 30 landings from non local planes a week. They do have aviation gas available as well. (Nice for high compression vintage street machines.)

I have not explored the Roosterville area yet, as it is covered in a foot of snow, but I bet when I do, I will find the remains of a water and mail stop on a railroad. Most of the little towns in West Missouri were rail stops from the days of yore.

Best,

Joe

#487733 01/28/11 05:32 AM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

Yes, I have been contemplating Cnet for some time now. I want to get my 1A2 systems working first, then start on the impossible... a Strowger set up. If I can pull that off, I will most certainally join C-net.

I think that would really be a neat thing to do, as I have numerous single line 500 sets as well as a few older phones... such as a WECO space saver and the like.

Now, if I can only find some 23 inch racks and a handfull of selectors... (I actually have the heavy as heck ring generator for a CO switch, but it is an electric one, not a motor generator set...)

Joe

#487734 01/28/11 06:41 AM
Ed,

One other thought that just occurred to me...

For an off premise extension like this where should the circuit protection/grounding be located? On the KSU side or the remote extension side?

Thanks...Lou

#487735 01/28/11 07:50 AM
OP Offline
@ Godfather,

I would do whatever Ed or Arthur would suggest. I am a neophyte at all of this, and am just learning my T's and R's. As an old radio and teletype person though, I would say that no matter what, if your equipment is valuable to you in any way, to lightning protect the heck out of it. In my QTH, I have an antiquarian tube setup and a "modern" (early eighties) ICOM set up. Both have extraordinary lightning protection, but the ICOM stuff gets unplugged from both the mains as well as any antennas when I am not using it, especially in T-storm season.

Best,

Joe

#487736 01/28/11 08:23 AM
Lou, ideally you should provide protection on each end of the cable. If you must skip one end, I'd be sure that there is protection at the KSU end.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#487737 01/28/11 09:10 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure, but I'd rather do it the correct way. I've never had to install an off premise extension before.

Joe,

Yes I know the practice. I am a Ham radio operator and disconnect my equipment unless I am using it. We have some wicked lightning here in the summer months. I used to work on fire alarm systems (including municipal telegraph) and telephone equipment 20 years ago, but I have been working with computer networks for the last 12 years. In my world everything that is "remote" now is linked via fiber, so there is no need to install circuit protectors.

#487738 02/06/11 05:30 AM
OP Offline
Well, the big move is over. Thank God. I am exhausted, but now the really hard part starts... getting everything unpacked and put away. I will be installing my phone-system backboard this evening! There is a perfect place for the KSU and related stuff in the utility room. I will have photos shortly!

Joe

#487739 02/08/11 01:51 AM
Joe,
When deciding to ground one or both ends your main concern is stray voltage caused by a difference in ground potenial between your house ground potenial and the out building ground potenial. If all you will have out there is pots it doesn't matter if you ground one or both ends of the cable.

#487740 02/08/11 01:57 AM
I would do as EV suggests and protect at the KSU end first. By doing that you ensure a path of least resistance to ground and you place the entire cable between the house and the out building at the same ground potential.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,254 Shoretel
188,995 CTX100 install
187,384 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024