web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488313 10/10/11 07:16 PM
OP Offline
Hi again,

I am interested in learning all that I can about the Call Director (old school, small keys) system. I have volume one of the key systems service manual, (1975), but the Call Director sections are not that informative and my ignorance of this subject is quite large.

What would those of you who really know this stuff reccomend me to search out and read before I dive into this? (The reason that I am inquiring is that a very generous phone collector is sending me an 18 button CD in the most wonderful Bell System color available...MOSS GREEN!!) The Call Director is missing the handset (I have spent most of the evening sanding a very oxidized and discolored green G3 handset prepping it for polishing), and the bezel. But that is no problem... I am very close to having my very own CD! Yes, I am posting this at 0100 CST, and have scoured all of the few printed BSPs that I have that might have anything to do with a CD.

What BSPs should I search for? I know that this is not a quick project, but someday, I would like to get this 'on line', so to speak, and actually use it to yak on.

When it arrives, I will post photos.

Thank you once again!

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#488314 10/11/11 06:35 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

The WECO Call Directors were essentially just overblown key sets. There was a 12 button model (two six button strips, one with a hold and one with 6 line keys and a 50 pair tail), an 18 button model ( 3 six button strips, one with a hold and a 75 pair tail) and a 30 button model (5 strips and a 100 pair tail [5 amphenols, 20 pairs in each).

I'll look around for some BSPs, but if you've got the one for the 565 set you're pretty well covered.

Stromberg-Carlson made 12, 18 & 30 button Call Directors identical to WECO's.

In the early '70s ITT, Stromberg and AE had 20 and 30 button sets that took 50 and 75 pairs respectively. The first line used 3 pairs and all the ones after used 2.5 pairs (On the 10 button model the A1 leads for lines 2-5 were used as the A leads for lines 6-9). You had the Y/S pair for a bell and the Y/O pair for a buzzer and that was it for spares. The same applied to the next rows of keys - A1 leads for lines 10-14 and 20-24 became the A leads for lines 15-19 and 25-29. As I recall Y/S and Y/O from the second and third binders became the T/R and L/LG of lines 19 & 29.

Once you could get 30 buttons on 3 cables, no one (who had a choice) ran 5 cables anymore.

I believe that WECO came out with the same type of set later too, but I'm not sure. I'm sure Arthur or someone will pipe up to fill in the blanks.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#488315 10/11/11 12:16 PM
Stromberg (Comdial) made the "Baby Call Director" with one 6-button key.

There was a 12 button model (two six button strips, one with a hold and one with 6 line keys and a 50 pair tail)
Western never made that one, Sam. They made separately-mounted keys (605x) series with 5-line & Hold, and 11-line & Hold.

The rest of your recollections are spot on, with one slight correction. WE made 10- and 20-button sets but only ITT made the 30-button one.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#488316 10/12/11 01:32 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Thanks Arthur, I knew I could count on you. I guess the 12 button model was Strombergs. I do remember the 11 line Keychief. Everyone made the 5 line but I don't remember anyone but Westrn making the 11 line.

The baby call director was real popular, especially the wall mount version, which for a long time was the only single unit 1A2 wall set available to the Interconnect business.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#488317 10/13/11 02:27 PM
OP Offline
The Call Director came today!

Pictures tomorrow + a few questions.

YAY!

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#488318 10/14/11 10:50 AM
OP Offline
Hi All,

I received a very nice Call Director in -51 green yesterday. Photo link below. I want to thank John J. very much from the TCI forum.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

The first question I have is this... Is this unit a rotary or TT instrument? Can it be either?

Here is a photo of the unit without its cover.

It has a place for a buzzer, but no buzzer.

This photo shows me pointing to a button on the bottom right of the key fields. This is the hold button. I thought that the hold button should be on the bottom left of the field.

Next, on the inside of the phone, there was a Grey fiber tag with the words "Harvard Net" and a date. Here is a photo. Does anyone know anything about this?

Lastly, there were three screws and one little part in the bottom of the delivery box. Does anyone know what these are for?

These photos show what I have on hand right now. I am polishing a handset (-51) for the unit this weekend.

I am now in need a faceplate/bezel for the phone, a red hold button for the phone, a buzzer and a green cord for the unit. There are 17 line buttons and one hold button, and the cord that came with the phone is a silver Grey cord with only two "fingers". I thought that 18 button call directors needed three. If anyone has any of these parts for sale or trade, please let me know.

All comments and information is very much welcome and appreciated.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I also need a dial. If this unit can take a rotary dial, that is what I am looking for, other wise, I need a TT dial and the correct bezel for either one.

I should also mention that the chief phone kitty was very happy to see this latest edition to the collection. She told me in this photo that she wants this phone on her desk.

Thank you much,

Best,

Joe Herdler

__._,_.___

#488319 10/14/11 06:07 PM
Joe, as explained on the TCI forum, it is not a Call Director. It is an ESS announcement system console, used in the CO, and was not equipped with a dial. The model number is 624xxx. There is no Hold button, because all three keys strips are identical. The button at the lower right has been converted to momentary operation.

Faceplates, bezels, and paper faceplate inserts are stocked in the Unobtainium Department.

The kind soul who so generously sent you the console has caused you more trouble than if he had not sent it at all. I suggest that you keep the console for parts, and resume looking for a real CD.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#488320 10/15/11 01:45 AM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

Maybe that is why Kotobuki was rolling on the floor and laughing so hard. She knew all along that this was not a Call Director, and was waiting to see how long it would take me to figure this out.

Best,

Joe

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024