Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1a2jake Offline OP
OP Offline
So I was working at my grocery store the other day, and on my break, I went into the compressor room because I am kinda interested in machinery.

Anyway, I see the phone wall, and much to my disbelief is a 1a2 ksu frequency gen and everything. Now keep in mind the store now has a Nortel system.

My first problem is I have to ask my manager if I can have it (and see if he get's mad at me for going into the compressor room) and my second problem is how am I going to undo all the wiring.

2 25 pairs go from the unit to a wall of 66 blocks and I figure if I just snip all the wires and e-tape them I wouldn't affect the rest of the Nortel system.

and it looks like a newer shoebox ksu
Anything I should no before I get fired for breaking a grocery store phone system? smile

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

"Anything I should no?"

Yes. There are things you should KNOW:

The power is probably still on. Cutting things that are energized will cause crosses in the cables, and might blow fuses and/or ruin the line cards.

The store's dial tones might still be running through the system, as a result of some lazy jackhole not doing his job correctly when the new system was turned up.

The KSU may be there for some other really weird reason. I have seen tieline cards (414, 415, 461, etc) still in service, in tandem with a modern KSU. It may still be in use as a PA or BGM supply.

Step 1: Unplug any power cords going to the system. Wait a day and see if anyone bitches.

Step 2: If not, take the cover off, and test to see if there is any dial tone at the CO inputs. If not, pull the line cards out and wait a day.

Step 3: Pull off any cross-connections on the 66-blocks. Wait a day.

Step 4: If you haven't been fired yet, remove the system, and run real fast.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

That should pretty well cover it. :rofl:

Retired phone dude
1a2jake Offline OP
OP Offline
power cord is not plugged in. I'm going to see if I can open her up and see whats going, if its being used for splices, etc.

Only prob is that they unblocked the locked door so now I can't get in (why shouldnt they let part time employees in a room with malfunctioning generators and freon?)

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Well, you could just be honest with the manager and let him/her know what you are thinking. They might actually appreciate your willingness to remove abandoned equipment. If you are able to gain access this way, I'd still follow Arthur's steps just in case, less the power cord directive.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Arthur once again is on the money. My pulmonary doctor complained of a problem with his phones the last time I was there. He has a Panasonic system but I noticed that all the phones were fed with 25 pair cables with 153 adapters. 1st clue. Sure enough Dial Tone was feeding through the old KSU and a 66 block pin had loosened up.

Most installers these days, for whatever reason, whether they're rushed by the foreman, are just plain lazy, or cant wait to get to the bar, usually just leave old equipment and the existing wiring in place. Later on this leads to problems.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam probably the reason most old equipment is left, is because the new generation; does'nt know what to do with it and has no idea how to work on it.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I don't know what to do with it even though I've worked on steppers, x-bars, 1A1 and 1A2.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I know what to do with it old equipment...make a reef out of it. Of course I would like to do the same thing with some of the new equipment out there as well.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Originally posted by Derrick:
...make a reef out of it.
I know some folks that I'd like to add to that.... Oh, wait. Would that be murder? Or maybe some kind of pollution for cleaning up the Gene Pool by polluting the ocean? wink

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,613 Shoretel
189,503 CTX100 install
187,758 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024