web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I've read some other posts, and I will check my Power Supply voltages as well. But first things first.

I've got a Sprint SVP-4 with a dead hard drive. When unit is powered on, drive does not spin up. I plugged another hard drive into the power plug, (no data cable) and it spins up just fine.

Question: What are my options? Can I buy another drive and install the O/S to it? What about reconfiguring, etc...

Thanks, I'd really like to learn this equipment if possible.

OP Offline
Bleh...

Tested the Power Supply. It's gotta be the problem. From reading the other posts, I'm guessing this killed the hard drive.

+5V = 4.50
+12v = 15.3

Any suggestions? Should I even bother fixing this or just buy something else?

Thanks

Ryan

OCI Offline
Ryan,

OCI is in Cleveland. We sold and still service Protege products. If your diagnostics are correct, we may be able to save your programming and the messages with our own equipment and then have the unit repaired for you. Sorry, we can't just sell you a power supply. Please contact me if you want to discuss this matter further. Thank you.

Carl @ OCI

New cases, replacement power supplies (of the new style) & hard drives are readily available. So is repair service - with limitations though. Motherboards are no longer available so a bad motherboard *usually* = trashed unit.

I believe King Technologies took over the Protege line, but I do not know how or what they can provide, unless they started using their own cases. They chose not to work with the OEM for service, support or parts.

Ryan has already contacted me, but if anyone else is looking for parts or service just let me know. It would be nice to start clearing out the dead storage in the warehouse!

Always be nice to everyone. You never know when you will encounter them again! (Perpetual Lurker)
OP Offline
I'm going to look into building my own case for this from a spare pc laying around. I'll strip out the old Motherboard, etc and stick this board in there with new stand-offs, etc...

Board should accomodate a longer 40PIN IDE cable, so I'll be able to mount the drive like a normal PC, and be able to turn the whole thing on from the front power switch.

However, I'll need to use an AT style power supply, so that i can use a REAL power switch, and not the "soft-power" switch that modern pc's use with the ATX style power supplies.

If I can find a way around powering the unit on with an ATX P/S, I'll use that instead, as finding a spare AT P/S is getting harder...
However, I can power on an ATX powersupply by jumpering the green and black on the motherboard connector, but that's far from a permanant solution.

Ryan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 152 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024