web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
CMDL_GUY and I have seen discussing VoIP in the Hotel market recently, spurred on by his involvement with a new Starwood Aloft hotel project. They're already mandating VoIP phones in the guest rooms. I saw this press release today.

Whether it makes sense to us or not, that's where the brands are headed and I guess that's where we'll be going if we want to stay in the hotel market.

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It makes perfect sense with all the advancements IP brings today and in the future also there is no doubt TDM is soon to be extinct as far a new implementations go.

Originally posted by LaneComm:
there is no doubt TDM is soon to be extinct as far a new implementations go.
That's pretty strong considering I still have a few 1A2 clients. It will be a long time before TDM is "extinct", maybe you should look that word up in the dictionary. TDM may be losing sales to IP, but there will be a market for it for the forseeable future in my opinion. Which is worth nothing by the way. smile

OP Offline
Professionally, personally, and on a practical basis, the idea of putting VoIP telephones in hotel rooms annoys the crap out of me. After years of supporting simple analog phones in that environment, I've been amazed at the creative ways that hotel guests (and staff) can screw things up. I shudder to think of what they'll be able to do when you start running voice, HSIA, and HDTV over the same infrastructure.

www.TECHarry.com
"To clarify I said new implementations."

Sure TDM will stay around but making a living off of new TDM sales is pretty much extinct - period..

I can guarantee you are not making much of a living servicing 1A2 and small TDM systems.

So put your sales hat on and upgrade the TDM sites to IP and then sell the 1A2 customers the used TDM stuff then take the 1A2 and send it to a museum then you'll make some money and you will be doing them a favor as well.

I don't make hardly anything servicing 1A2 systems, there are only a few and they don't break.

It's interesting that you can "guarantee I'm not making much of a living servicing small TDM systems." If you ever get to Pa., I'd be glad to show you around.

What is the advantage of IP phones over analogue in guestrooms?

Harry, how will they use the same infrastructure?

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
@Fletcher - I will have to put on my thinking cap to answer that one.

I'm sure there are many pros and cons to both... but it is a bit late for my brain to go into full logic mode smile

One thing I can think of is an IP system with already included, or built-in call reporting/accounting. maybe save $ on the initial install.

As to why one is "mandated" already is beyond me. I'm sure as with most IP ventures, they've come across the $ savings on the install. Who knows, maybe this is the way the hotel/motel industry is heading... to the cloud!
smile

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
OP Offline
Sorry... been busy

Fletcher:
Regardless of what we think of the idea, the IT people push VoIP because they want everything to be TCP/IP and want it all to run on the same cabling and switches. Why? Frankly, I think it's a matter of turf... if it's on their network, they have control. Doesn't matter to them if they're trying to implement something they don't fully understand. Just makes for a larger budget that they get to manage.

I've already seen designs that show a single Cat6 cable to the desk to provide both VoIP and HSIA. I still don't have the full story on the Aloft design I saw but it looks like they might be preparing to ship video and signage over the same cable plant, too. What I see coming is a flood of finger-pointing every time something doesn't work on any of these systems and a huge bottleneck trying to get support for troubles we used to be able to handle on our own.

MacOSX:
The hotel franchises love to mandate stuff and it goes way beyond colors and patterns for carpets and blinds. They've always had a list of "approved equipment" and required features. At one point, all Holiday Inns were even supposed to have a specific standard dial plan. Hilton is now mandating the circuits and provider for HSIA, WAN, and voice.

As for savings, this more economical approach has nearly doubled the price on the first project I've seen (based on competing proposals)... seems that VoIP phones and PoE switches more than offset the savings from a "unified" cable plant.

www.TECHarry.com
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
"As for savings, this more economical approach has nearly doubled the price on the first project I've seen (based on competing proposals)... seems that VoIP phones and PoE switches more than offset the savings from a "unified" cable plant."

Since a decent 1 line speakerspone for hospitality costs about X and a decent IP phone from Mitel costs 3X or more, I guess I can see it for the high end motels, but CI's, HIE's, etc are going to be hard pressed to justify the expense, esp since they'll have to have IT-smart folks on-staff! Never mind Harry's very valid comment about customer use/abuse of room phones.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 110 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024