web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
travior Offline OP
OP Offline
I found a nice 1953 Western Electric 500C/D with all matching date codes. I want to fix this one up and use it. My problem is that when I first plug it in with the handset off, I have a dialtone for only a couple of seconds then it fades out. Any ideas? Could this be a bad capacitor?

Also, this unit has a 3-wire network connection. Is there any modification that is needed for the modern 2-wire connections being used today to make everything work properly? It still has the origional 3-wire network connection line-set.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm not sure why dialtone would fade out. I don't think it's the capacitor, Try turning the dial in the opposite direction it should go and holding it there. Does DT stay?

A three wire cord was installed to allow the ringer to be "turned on". Put the green & yellow from the phone to the green (White/blue) of the telephone line (and the red from the line to the red [blue/white] of the line) and the bell would ring. Leave the yellow off the green and the phone still worked, but the bell didn't ring.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
travior Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I might have figured out my problem. I think I have an intermitant break in the handset cord. If I hold the cord steady, I keep the tone. As soon as I bump or wiggle the hand that is holding the cord, the tone disappears.

I guess I will search for a replacement cord. I hate having to change it because this was the origional cord and was the old straight rubber cord, not the coiled cord.

I origionally bought this phone to clean up to sell, but all the components have matching date codes (1953) and if I can find a replacement handset cord, I think this one will be used in my home.

Thanks for the help. The info about the ringer circuit definitely helps as well!

Another tip about the ringer circuit, the Yellow is connected to terminal G on the network, if there is a ringer lead there, move it to where the green lead from the line is, that eliminates the need to connect the yellow wire. That will change it over to bridged ringing for instead of tip party identification. All private line circuits use bridged ringing. Good luck finding a straight handset cord for a 500.

John McFerren
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
travior Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice and tips!

"That will change it over to bridged ringing... instead of tip party identification."

Well, not really. Tip party identification is a different wiring scheme.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,573 Shoretel
189,445 CTX100 install
187,603 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 118 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024