web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525194 02/28/12 03:32 PM
OP Offline

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Arther,

Link didn't work....try this one

https://long-lines.net/operations/MiracleOnSecondAvenue/FC.html

BTW I worked on this as an outside contractor (Executone) for some specialized equipment that was in the CO. Thanks for the memories :bow:

I'm a black & white type of guy.....the only grey in my life is the hair on my head!

Thanks for sharing. At around 11:56 they show what looks to be a 500 set but with a beehive lamp smack in the middle. I've never seen such a phone!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
At around 7:40 in the movie, some guy is musing about how a person can make it through the day without using a phone. I wonder if he's still around to see us now?

Over all, though, it was a very cool little documentary...

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Jeff, that was the current model 500Y, equipped with a message waiting/ringing visual lamp. It was quite normal, despite the ugliness. It may have been a 500YM, since full-modular phones were in full distribution in the NY/NJ area in 1975.

I still can't believe all of the effort that went into putting a crossbar switch back into operation. I'd have thought that they'd have replaced it with an ESS. Even then, they had portable #1 ESS switches for disaster recovery.

I did like seeing how they put the early version of 710 splicing into action and it obviously proved itself. I don't see how they could have accommodated the total project otherwise. I will admit that I did see a splice bundle of beenies at one point, but that may have been stock footage for drama.

It is my understanding that this fire is what brought about the mandate for plenum-rated cable in buildings. They say that the fire spread was due to the massive number of vertical cables that helped spread the original fire in the cable vault to the upper levels of the building. I'm assuming that major changes were made in cable jacket design for risers as well.

I was 14 years old living in northern NJ at the time that this fire occurred and I remember it well. We were 30 miles away and still experienced dialing issues for many weeks due to the massive re-routing of traffic.

I wonder what Verizon would do today in such circumstances. My guess is that they would walk away and sell it to Fairpoint for pennies on the dollar.

Man, The Bell System was such a great company. Thanks a lot, Judge Greene.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
I picked up a NOS refurbed "Noteworthy" on E-bay for $45 a couple of years ago. That's the rotary dial trimline I tease touchtone only users with. smile

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
These phones crack me up!
https://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/1/31/AT&T-Archives-Design-Line-Fashions
the customer bought the case but AT&T /Bell owned the inside components. They used to have a sticker on the bottom to that effect

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Ev, I took a close look at the video, and the 500V's appear to be non-modular.

I'm sure they probably had a large cache of them on hand for telethons, phone banks, etc, just as they had trailer mounted banks of payphones.

I'm sure they ran the numbers comparing cost and time for cleaning vs replacement of the switch, and probably considered other factors such as available space for the new switch(s), availability of new switches, etc.

Apparently, some equipment _was_ replaced with ESS.

According to https://www.privateline.com/issues/p.l.No11A.html, which quotes from the book _Telephone: The first hundred years_ by John Brooks (out of print at the time the article was written, although it looks like there are ~200 copies available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Telephone-First-Hundred-John-Brooks/dp/0060105402), there were 12 exchanges, and 5 toll switches in the building, serving 104,000 lines (170,000 telephones).

"The work to be done in the damaged building varied all the way from installing new ESS equipment and writing computer programs for it to cleaning smoke-damaged relays with toothbrushes and Q- tips. A couple of happy circumstances speeded the work along. One of these was the fact that the the third floor of the burned building happened to be standing vacant at the time, thus providing space for the rapid installation of an entirely new main frame for handling trunk calls, which was shipped by cargo jet on February 28 from Western Electric's Hawthorne works. Another was the convenient availability for emergency use of excess switching capacity, from the ESS installations at Seventh Avenue and Eighteenth Street and at New York Telephone headquarters at Sixth and Forty-second. Such capacity could temporarily accommodate 28,000 of the 104,000 served lines."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Professor Shadow, pvj), 168 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024