web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
I have seen VOIP deployed in a junk yard with 4 lines and 6 phones. They spent a small fortune for something that could have been picked up a key system off the shelf. No line appearances...I mean WTH with 4 lines? DHCP server keep going down from the computers locking up because of the heat and DIRT causing the system to lock up.

The phones even look pretty nice
Shoretel phones? :rofl: Sorry, every time I see them I am like what was that person smoking designing those.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by Deltron:
Really? I'd like to see you plug an IP phone in a 1500' cable and make it work.
I know how to make IP work over 1500' of cable.

Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I know how to make IP work over 1500' of cable.
So do I now. It just isn't as easy as punching the cable down on one end and putting a jack at the other. :rolleyes:

KLD Offline
brian703, when you complete your profile with a real address, not "USA", maybe your opinions will be taken with some validity.

Most individuals who fill out profiles in this manner are usually CGs. 'Nuff said?

:read:

Ken
---------
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Just a few other observations:

It seems the VOIP purveyors are going to the Microsoft model instead of the client server (Unix) model that our phone systems operate on. To wit, the phone sets themselves are a very integral part of the systems operation versus our model of dumb terminals hooked up to a server (KSU) that stores everything.

Just looking at this; https://wiki.snom.com/Snom320/Firmware leads me to believe that real issues are going to show up servicing VOIP. What version Asterisk or whatever do you have? What version phones do you have? What version phones will work with what other version phones? What version phones work with what version of VOIP box? If you update a phone will it quit working with whatever version VOIP box you're running? Since lots of information is stored in the set itself what happens when you replace a phone, will the VOIP server back up the phones data?

If what I believe is true then the long term service consequences will do nothing but complicate maintenance and cause the customer to incur quite a bit of additional costs. Of course from a revenue standpoint this would be a good thing for us. From the customer's satisfaction viewpoint it may well not be a good thing.

Ponder this, I have a Vodavi Triad III with 220 phones on it with dual 8 port voice mail systems that was installed years ago. It's a medical billing service that makes thousands of calls a day. I have never replaced a single card in the system and the average phone death has been running at less than 5 phones a year. No program changes and as far as I can tell it has never had even the most minor software fault or error processing calls. To top things off half the phones are 15+ years old from the prior 96EX system they had.

Is it even conceivable that any iteration of a VOIP system would even approach this kind of reliability? This customer is soon going to find out because some slick talking salesman has convinced them that they'll save a fortune and greatly enhance their business with a hosted VOIP solution. This will be interesting, especially the saving money part. The customer averages about $100 a month in service costs and has two PRI circuits at $299 each. They have no branch offices nor any home employees. They also told the customer that they would not need to change their switches since the Grandstream phones they are proposing work flawlessly on any data network. I've seen the traffic on their network, it's continuously bottlenecked from the extreme amount of data input.

Once again, am I wrong in my observations?

sph Offline
You are comparing an almost 40 year-old technology that has seen billions of investments in research and implementation with a technology that in real terms is barely 10 years old.
Also, there are several systems from Avaya, Cisco, Nortel, Siemens etc that can do most of the stuff you describe, and many others that circuit-swithed systems can't. And that is the ONLY REAL difference between VOIP and the rest:

VOIP switches packets.
Traditional telephony switches circuits.

Other than that they are both "digital", microprocessor-based systems. Also, it is not true that all traditional pbx/ksu systems are client-server. KSU-less systems are peer-to-peer. Some of the older pbxs were following the mainframe-dumb terminal model. Btw UNIX or Windows has nothing to do with client-server, it is just a model they may or may not use. They both use peer-to-peer, client-server, or mainframe-dumb terminal when it suits them.

Other than that, you make very valid points. The thing is that most companies already have infrastructure in lan cabling, lan switching etc. So often a new IP extension can be as simple as plugging in a phone to a lan jack.

Originally posted by Deltron:

PS: I have (had) a pile of 3Com, Cisco, Allworx and some home brew IP systems we've pulled out in our warehouse. The customer's complaints were always exactly the same, too difficult to use and poor call quality. I'm finding few takers from the refurb houses or Ebay to dump this stuff. By the way, not a single box had a page port or MOH port on it, basic phone system interfaces.
All i can say is that it must be nice to have that kind of customer. I mean, they pay for the installation of one system, decide its not working for them, then pay YOU to rip it out and install something else. In times like these those customers are hard to find. Good Job.

Try posting the pile of surplus in the "Buy/Sell" forum, im sure you'll get a few offers.

sph Offline
Let me add that the vast majority of CGs that I've known are at a loss when it comes to VOIP. I They know how to plug it in, but making it work is a different story. Telecom was the unwanted orphan of IT - not glamorous enough, and quite arcane, talking about data telecom now. Voip requires a whole other skill set. I think CGs and telephone people are positioned an equal distance away from that skill set.
Seems like a lot of people here want to let CGs get there first.

Originally posted by KLD:
brian703, when you complete your profile with a real address, not "USA", maybe your opinions will be taken with some validity.
I'm not here to have my opinions taken with validity. If you like them, that's fine. If not, move on.

However, what I stated about VOIP is a FACT.

Originally posted by sph:

Seems like a lot of people here want to let CGs get there first.
It's reminiscent of what happened when cars lost the points and condenser, the carburetor, and suddenly "you can't work on them anymore".

Well, maybe YOU can't. Someone who took the time to learn the new technology instead of griping about it can.

the vast majority of CGs that I've known are at a loss
You could leave it at that and be accurate. Most of them..if they can't fix it with a couple clicks of the mouse, it won't be fixed.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  JWRacedog 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,612 Shoretel
189,499 CTX100 install
187,744 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024