web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#534447 09/01/12 08:32 PM
OP Offline
Over 1200 subs, including the fire department and the cops on our island have been without service since Thursday morning.

click

EDIT: I got it to work, but it looks the same as your's did. Bill

Last edited by justbill; 09/01/12 08:55 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I sure hope they get that "cord" repaired soon. We wouldn't want the town requiring a second service provider. As if a would-be thief wouldn't be cutting their cables too! Some reporting really leaves me shaking my head.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The 'The Shelter Island Supervisor' was the one quoted and he sounds like your typical know nothing elected official.

"90% of the politicians make the other 10% look bad" Henry Kissinger
Does it show that I don't like politicians? It might be my aversion to getting lied to.

"90% of the politicians make the other 10% look bad" Henry Kissinger
I don't know who I hate the most, dumb ass reporters who call a cable a cord or dumb ass politicians who have no idea what they are talking about. -Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
A nice cold beer or six to the splicers might speed the repair process. :D

Hal, after all of the severe storms that we had in the DC area over this past summer, the outpouring of authority from locals would make your head spin. You see, most of the severe power outages have been in the older areas of the DC metropolitan area, most of them being in Maryland. These areas utilize nearly 100% aerial distribution of utilities that are inter-twined with century-old trees. When the storms come, the trees fall and they take out the utilities with them. The power company (primarily PEPCO) got their asses handed to them a few years ago because of the severity and length of the outages. Their solution was to start a heavy-handed approach to trimming trees in the vicinities of utility easements. Then the tree huggers and property owners started complaining that they didn't want their trees touched, vehicles on their property, views altered, etc. Next came the demand that PEPCO place power lines underground. Hal, you and I both know that putting 19.9KV+ transmission underground isn't going to happen. While it technically can be done, the cost would be astronomical. Forget about the simple cost of trenching, easements, existing utilities, SUBWAY lines and such, they would also have to deal with the NIMBY people who would protest to block such construction on their property. What these fools don't understand is that utility distribution takes a lot more than that simple drop from the pole to their house. They seem to think that the utilities just come up out of the ground at that pole! If the drop is buried, they won't have any more storm-related outages. They never seem to have any interest in discussing exactly who will pay for these costs. These people consider the local utility to be a government entity, when that is not the case at all. They are usually private corporations and any adverse expenses will simply be passed on to the customers. People need to stop boo-hooing when they lose their utilities and choose their poison: Experience occasional outages or pay for what MIGHT be a solution to avoid them. What is most concerning is that the local and mindless politicians follow this same mindset. They seem to think that by forcing PEPCO to put not just local distribution, but also transmission facilities underground, that storms will never affect power distribution again. Fools.............

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
A LIPA (Long Island Power Authority ... the thieves who took over from the thieves who ran LILCO) spokesman was quoted recently as saying that overhead distribution wires are better than buried wires because "they are easier to fix when they break."

You can't make this stuff up.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

But I agree with that logic. A downed power line is much easier to locate and repair than an underground fault. You were joking, right?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It's the same here. Costs to bury utilities were quoted at $1 million/mile with each property owner responsible for the cost of a new UG service. That pretty much shut them up.

And of course aerial is easier to fix though it is subject to more extensive damage. UG does fail and it is more difficult and time consuming to fix. From our perspective look what happens with UG phone cables.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 09/03/12 01:26 AM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (KRRath, Curlycord, BPopilek), 68 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024