Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
94astro Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
I have to laugh about how that Door King manual goes on about CAT5e yet it recommends 18ga for 3600 ft runs. Guess that they don't know that the wire gauge is critical to the category spec so CAT5e can only be 24ga. There are cables available that are much better suited for this than trying to use a data cable.

-Hal

They're located about 2 miles away from me, next time I stop by I'll laugh at them for you...

Aaron
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
lets not forget a pair within the cat5 jacket will be longer due to the added twist

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
"The higher the category number, the more twists and therefore more copper wire per running foot of cable."

I don't think anyone has forgotten yet. I only said it three days ago.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

If a 6 pair BSW is too cost prohibitive for you, you can also get a 3 pair BSW that may be a little cheaper for you, if you only plan on using one circuit.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
More than once I've used single pair areal drop for direct bury, when interference from other services wasn't an issue. It's some tough stuff!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Eh, I wouldn't be burying aerial drop wire unless I was completely desperate. For one, it isn't filled. It also uses a different compound in the Polyethylene insulation for the conductors than that is used for buried wire. It can tolerate occasional moisture, but not long-term exposure, as in buried and full of water.

Yes, BSW is available all the way down to two pairs, in fact I have two 5,000 foot reels of the stuff if anyone is interested!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I would hesitate to use fewer that 6 pairs, just for maintenance reasons. It's a lot easier to swap a pair than to locate, dig up, repair, and re-bury a fault.

When used with (series) voice and gate release features, you need three pairs to start with. That means you have 0% spares for future work.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

94astro Offline OP
OP Offline
The power and relay for the gate motor will be local and running on a seperate cable than the buried cable to the house, but I agree, the more pairs the better, especially in this situation of 1000's of feet of buried conduit.

Aaron
As was mentioned use BSW 6 pair. Remember to follow the proper grounding and bonding procedures for the 6 pair.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
94astro Offline OP
OP Offline
So we went up to the ranch for phase 1. Installing cameras at the main house. The fiber guy was running cable between points. This is so far out in the country that the local LEC guy has agreed to let us use his cable from the road to the house for the gate. The trench for the gate passes right by a telco "Pedastool". He's going to run a cable to that pedastool and the telco guy will give us two pairs to the MPOE at the main house.

As a backup their is fiber between the main house and a gate junction point, then there's a cable from the gate to that junction. We can install a fiber to analog converter for the gate if needed, although I hate relying on adaptors.

The plan was to run a cat3 from the house to gate but the owner ran only a 1" conduit that the fiber is in and we can't get an additional cable in.

Here's a pic of the camera server in his wine cellar.

[Linked Image from farm9.staticflickr.com]

Aaron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,314
Posts638,921
Members49,775
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,081 Shoretel
190,294 CTX100 install
188,557 1a2 system
Newest Members
PeterG, lyte, 4thright, dcl, Mansour
49,774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
jsaad 4
teleco 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (nortelvoip, 4thright, Carl Navarro), 110 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024