web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#543920 01/21/13 05:06 PM
OP Offline
Gents,
A guy on Garage Journal sent me pictures of these lamp assemblies. Can someone identify them/tell me what they were used for/if there is anything I could use them for? Thanks!

[Linked Image from i1246.photobucket.com]

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I seem to remember something with protectors, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

BTW, the boxes they're in are those apparatus mounting boxes (107?) that you were asking about. They were also (mostly) used for 1A KTUs.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
They are called resistance lamps (sometimes called ballast lamps) and they are inserted in series with ringing supply leads (manual or machine) so that when a called phone goes off-hook during the ringing cadence, a short circuit is not presented across the ringing supply.

The ones in your photos were probably from a small manual or automatic PBX installation, and they are mounted in type 105 boxes. The ones on my 701 PBX are mounted on a 23" plate above the ringing machines.

The earlier ones had screw bases, and the later ones had solder lugs in Bakelite (or some other kind of black plastic) bases.

Type 12

Type 13

BSP 032-500-501

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom; 01/21/13 07:06 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
So, if the lamps are in those boxes, how does one see them?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
They weren't meant to be seen. They were installed in series in a circuit to provide a "shock absorber" for when a station went off-hook during a ringing cycle so that a short wasn't placed on the central ringing generator. The lamp would glow, absorbing the ring voltage during the ring cycle. It is difficult to explain, but they provided a major improvement in ring voltage issues, like having it backfeed into DC circuits causing relay chatter.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Thanks, Ed. I thought my description was sufficient, but there's always what we call "Out of the mouths of babes."

Jeff, you're too clever for this business. You are absolutely correct: they are called lamps, so they must light up. I guess they should have been called "tubes."

However, if you read the BSP reference that I included in my first answer, you will read that if one is glowing, that indicates a fault. I guess the guy who engineered that particular installation hadn't read the BSP.

BTW, can you tell us (A) if there is any number(s) stamped on the brackets, and (B) what the specific application of these boxes were?

Arthur P. Bloom

OP Offline
Sam or Arthur, can you use these? As I said, the pictures were sent to me from a guy on another forum who knows I'm into phones. Otherwise I'll tell the guy to scrap em.

Thanks for the info!!

Last edited by jeffmoss26; 01/21/13 10:45 PM.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Hi Jeff-

You really don't want to scrap them since I am certain they have value to other collectors and you would probably be surprised just how much they would fetch on the e-Place. It would be nice to put the proceeds from a sale into a kitty for that new testset or other new toy.

A good example of the mystery crossbar pbx that Carl Navarro recently found. While most regard it as junk, it is likely to garner several grand.

I noticed that the views associated with his posting has since sky-rocketed with the recent buzz and links to it have circulated about it the collectors websites.

OP Offline
So you're saying I should get them and try to flip em smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
No, you should get them and give them to that old guy who sends you 1A2 stuff.

Arthur P. Bloom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Professor Shadow, ronaldjamesh, justbill), 67 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024