web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
A little story about everyone's favorite local telco, Frontier!

A small town currently has a fiber infrastructure linking all of the city buildings together. Unfortunately, they have no IT staff and the person who set it up has absolutely no subnets, everything is one big giant 16 bit netmask mess!

Let's fast forward to the Failtier...
The city is sold a bill of goods by the telco for a Mitel IP system with one little problem, the police department has their own infrastructure and is not connected to the city. They do tunnel through the city's fiber to the dispatch station, but that is the extent.

One evening, we are down there working on the PD's Toughbooks when dispatch calls and says their network connection is down. Sure enough, the VPN appliance shows the link down. After a few power cycles of the PD's equipment, it turns out Frontier powered on their equipment.

The one Frontier tech who was actually plugging in the Mitel IP equipment gave me a blank stare when I asked what IPs the equipment was on. The second tech told me exactly this, "We didn't know what the IPs were so we just guessed some numbers".

Great job taking down an entire city's police department for two hours by creating a broadcast storm that could only rival Hurricane Sandy!!

How or who in the freaking world training/not training these installers??

And that is my rant for the day 7up

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

WOW! We have there service over here.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Frontier was originally the former Baby Bell 'Rochester (NY) Telephone', but they also became a CLEC and changed their name to Frontier. With that said, they still operate properly as the LEC in Rochester, but now they are gobbling up dozens of pieces of other LEC markets throughout the country. They've taken over chunks of Verizon's markets in nearly every state, some former Bell areas and plenty of independent ones. This makes for one big company with a whole bunch of different ways of doing things. Frankly, I don't know how they do it.

Then again, it doesn't sound as if it is going too well after all.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The Frontier CLEC/IXC from several years ago (which included Rochester Telephone) bought out the company I started with (Allnet Communication Services). Frontier was later bought out by Global Crossing which....in turn....was bought out by Level(3).

The current Frontier Communications started out as Citizens Telephone. It purchased the Frontier name from Global Crossing back in the early 2000s.

Last edited by dexman; 02/05/13 09:59 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
Both of the Frontier customers we serve are previous Verizon (OH and WV).

Having not dealt with the Ohio guys much, I can give a definitive answer that the West Virginia guys are 110% clueless. Had one customer that had more downtime in two weeks on their PRI than uptime. Each time out, they claimed to "fix" the problem by moving it to different pairs. Only after threatening the CLEC that we were going to move every customer that we possibly could to another provider did they put their chronic circuits team on the case.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024