Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by cvrbob
start with first replacing the memory battery, then the circuit module
you can use the 529A ( 820D ) or the
533B (820D2 )

It will work just fine with a dead battery. Battery is just to maintain the programming during power interruptions. So don't waste your money.

Red light means the power supply has a problem. You might be able to find an 820 carrier with power supply on ebay if you want to spend the money. These things are getting scarce because they are so old and it's tough to find working ones.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 02/20/13 01:51 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

since i have had a 820D2 working in my house for about 22 years the red light has come on 3 times 2 to replace the battery & 0nce for a bad memory module, temporary used a 529 to replaced a 533B, never had a bad power supply , the unit will not work with out a memory module

Well, I'll take your word for it but I never saw a red light when the memory battery went bad. I only knew it when they lost power and then the programming- assuming it was even programmed and not left at default. I'm assuming that the OPs system is inoperative so it is something more than the battery. The module at the top of the carrier where the battery is located is the processor and of course it won't operate without it.

I can't believe we're talking about a 30 year old antique. Maybe Merlin Man or Tommy remembers the 820 and will correct me if I'm wrong.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 02/20/13 06:22 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I took an 820D2 off the wall to make room for (wait for it) an IP Office 406V2 last month. The local Ace hardware has a 4 line, 10 station 820D2 that might be as old as the building itself (30 years?). I'm afraid to ask the owner what he plans to do when it dies, as I'm sure he has never considered the possibility.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Originally Posted by jmmilner
I took an 820D2 off the wall to make room for (wait for it) an IP Office 406V2 last month. The local Ace hardware has a 4 line, 10 station 820D2 that might be as old as the building itself (30 years?). I'm afraid to ask the owner what he plans to do when it dies, as I'm sure he has never considered the possibility.

Why did you go with a 406V2 to replace a 4X10 Merlin?
Just askin.....

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Those old Merlins kick ass.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Originally Posted by 1864
Those old Merlins kick ass.

They are rock solid, but come to think of it the Model T car was pretty tough also. Would I want to take to the road in the morning in a cross country trip in my Model T?
No, I like A/C, PS, PB, Cruse Control, leather heated seats, and HP.

LOL!

Edit to fix the spelling of "Model" LOL

Last edited by mdaniel; 02/24/13 05:52 PM.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Until a few years ago virtually all greek restaurants and diners around here had Merlin systems. Food service loved them. I think they liked the rugged phones and the simplicity. It was only 10 years ago that I installed a refurbed 820D2 and phones for some National in a brand new Cheese Cake Factory restaurant. I don't see many any more. There's only so many times something can go around the block before it finally craps out.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 02/25/13 12:24 AM.

OP Offline
Hello all:

I have an updated regarding the Merlin. John just called me to tell me that he turned on the system and plugged the phones back in. He said that the phones were working, but the buttons were reset (this is what I gathered from what he told me).

While trying to get him to program a new loudspeaker page button, it became apparent that the Program setting on the Test/Program switch was not functioning.

Also, when the phone was put into test mode, only the red LEDs would light up and they would light up solid instead of flashing. I'm confused as to why the phones are functioning again after they were not at all not too long ago.

I had him take a video of the Test/Program issue and text it to me so I could post it online so you all could take a look at it.

As of right now, I'm convinced something is wacko with the processor, considering the phones are receiving the right amount of power, but the logical processes are not working right.

Here is a link to the video:

Your input is appreciated, and I appreciate the input so far.

Last edited by telecom guy10; 02/27/13 12:11 AM. Reason: missing a word

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
John fixed it. It's Alive!! Now it needs a new battery- Read Above^ and remember...

"Despite being over two decades old, the Merlin's modern electronic features and legendary Bell System era quality and durability still make the Classic Merlins very popular telephone systems with small business's without heated seats"

smile

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,389 Shoretel
189,111 CTX100 install
187,417 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (C5Z), 150 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024