web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#526272 07/23/10 09:08 AM
OP Offline
I like so many I see here, have been given the task of working on a Cisco Call Manager. As you can see from my name, 1948 was when I was born. So that makes me a old telephone man (some might say VERY old).
I been able to handle the basic adds, moves and changes on the IP phones. I have of course been looking at the tech manunals and they are helpful.
But as will many tech manunals after someone does a translation for you it's, "is that what they mean" why didn't they just say so.

What I have
Cisco 4.3 (1) es 18.1
database CCM302

I have one Publisher and one Subscriber
From I can understand this is the only way Cisco we support the sytem.
What is purpose of these 2 servers? I know you can have a number of subscribers. So I am thinking the Publisher is the main or master server and tie all the Subscribers together. I am guessing also that the IP phone are "connected" to the Subscriber sever as well as the trunks and other gateways. So would the Publisher be able to provide any service to the IP phones should the Subscriber fail?

Some of the things I have run into is accessing station feature via a dial code or softkey. Things like call forward Busy or No answer. They seem to have to be done via the Administation web page. Or is it that they are allowed or not allowed in some part of the systems progranning.

Well I know I have ask alot and I thank anyone and everyone that can help (THANKS)

I do have one question about call forward busy.
I set the busy trigger to 1
I entered the destination number
I entered the Calling Search Space to the same as the number I an forwarding.
And it does work.
Any ideas where I went wrong?
Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

you ain't old til you were born in the 30's. aok aok aok

dw Offline

What is purpose of these 2 servers?
In short;
The publisher is where you make any database changes, the subscriber is usually where your phones, gateways, trunks, etc will register and that server handles all the call processing. The servers also provide redundancy should one fail.

So would the Publisher be able to provide any service to the IP phones should the Subscriber fail?

Yes, it does. However if your publisher fails do not make changes to your subscriber, when the publisher comes back up you will lose those changes as the pub writes to the sub.

Some of the things I have run into is accessing station feature via a dial code or softkey. Things like call forward Busy or No answer. They seem to have to be done via the Administation web page. Or is it that they are allowed or not allowed in some part of the systems progranning.

You should have them however you can through the admin programming set whatever soft keys you desire on the phone.

I do have one question about call forward busy.
I set the busy trigger to 1
I entered the destination number
I entered the Calling Search Space to the same as the number I an forwarding.
And it does work.
Any ideas where I went wrong?

That sounds correct to me, unless I don't understand your question here? The calling search space basically has partitions which tell the phone where they can and can not go. Or where they should go, "geographically".

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
As for the calling search space, one way I've heard it explained is to think of the calling search space as a key ring, and partitions as keys. If your calling search space contains a partition, you can access that partition. Remember that placement of partition within the calling search space also matters, as it is searched from top down. It appears you are running a very old version of CUCM. Is it really 4.x? Running on Windows on the Pub and Sub?

Justin

Ok here it goes:

Your Publisher is your master copy of the CUCM Database. Your phones should be registering to your subscriber. You make changes on the Publisher and it replicates to the Subscriber.

The Sub is Read-Only anyway, so no changes can be made at the Sub level. It is a copy of the Publisher database.. the Publisher DOES NOT hold all the call processing etc etc..

Soft-Keys and features can be managed via the phone template in the Admin page.

Calling Search Spaces (CSS) contain Route Partitions, Which Contain Route Lists, and then Route Patterns - it designates which gateway the phone will use when it dials and what it CAN dial.

Please see

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094b53.shtml

Mike A.
CCNA/CCNA Voice/ATSA-IN

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,395 Shoretel
189,116 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 143 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024