web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
93mdk93 #555651 08/01/13 10:15 AM
"ALWAYS Never" leave the site without checking your tools and equipment. Jeff has that nifty "arm extender" tool bag. I have no idea how anyone could carry that around and not wind up, at the end of the day, without dragging one's knuckles on the ground...but, I digress.....the tool bag, if organized properly, would be an instant check for missing, misplaced tools and test equipment. The key is to organize the tools in the pockets provided and replace the tools in the same place every time. That way, if a pocket is empty, you know, instantly, you left something behind.

I still have my original leather holster Mother gave me. I store my tools in it, but when on the job, a pair of Klein D252-6SW diagonal cutters, an 11-1 Klein screwdriver, Dracon D814 punch down, Klein D317-6PC Needle Nose plier with cutter in the tip is in my back pocket and a butt set on my belt loop. I can take care of 95% off all repair problems with these simple tools. The other 5% require special tools or specialized test equipment.

Because of the lack of seasoned and trained LEC techs, I had to replace my aging ComTech T1 analyzer with a T-berd. There may be better and more elegant testing equipment for PRI and T-1, but, show up to a vendor meet with a T-berd and know how to use it, the finger pointing stops immediately. I have totally stopped the nuisance calls that were generated because the LEC techs "tested" the span and everything is working....problem must be your PBX. Now I go out once, have my T-berd on the span and call the LEC. No more BS.

Regarding the Sidekick vs the Triplett vs the Dynatel, it's all about what testing you require and which test set you become accustomed to using. I really like the Dynatel when the LEC insists their crummy, noisy, PF influenced, over load coiled POTS lines are at spec. One push of a button and you know everything you need to argue, intelligently, with the LEC. The Triplett will do the same' but you will make several tests and use different test lead combinations. The Sidekick is a "telephone man's best friend" when push comes to shove and it's just you and a long, miserable wet cable.

As far as "losing" test equipment, my first "find" was a Bell Telephone tech leaving a "Kicker" at a mine site. You OLD guys remember the Kicker. I think you could jump start your Model Ts with it. I drove, almost 40 miles, tracking down the tech. When he saw me coming with the Kicker in hand, he said " I have looked everywhere for that. I'm lost without it. Thanks."

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 08/01/13 10:18 AM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

MnDave #555665 08/01/13 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by MnDave
I guess we could even expand this topic to include favorite tools that we have lost. I lost my best toner last week and can't blame anyone but myself. Where do I remember last using it? Probably 50 miles away at a job site in Wisconsin. I office in Minnesota. It's just not worth the gas and time to go back and search for it.

P.S. I never found the gopher pole one of my guys left on another job either. Lift out ceiling tiles must be another place to recycle tools?

Yup. Somewhere there is a nice staple gun waiting for me to return to it. I have a feeling it's above a tile somewhere. Even backtracked a little, but never found it. Cusotmer probably beat me to it.

Yoda #555669 08/01/13 01:02 PM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Customer probably beat me to it.
I had a tech "forget" an extension ladder once. When I eventually figured out where it was, I called the customer to apologize about it and said I would come and retrieve it. The customer hesitated and then said he had "borrowed" it and it was at his house. Borrowed? Yeah, right.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

93mdk93 #555674 08/01/13 01:25 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
I opened up a tile the other day and found a pair of dikes. I already have 3 or 4 pair and I rarely use them. Just left them up in the ceiling for the next guy. "Paying it forward..."

93mdk93 #555675 08/01/13 01:26 PM
"I guess we could even expand this topic to include favorite tools that we have lost."

I realize that I am adding to the drifting away from the original topic, however, I couldn't resist. A while back I was doing some work at a hotel. I realized that I had left my nice Fluke toner there and called the head maintenance guy and asked him to keep his eye out for it. A little while later I was called back and the same maintenance guy followed me around, I guess for some education. He had his tool bag with him and there was my toner in the bag near the top. I told him that was my toner and grabbed it. He moaned and was disappointed, but I bot my toner back.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
93mdk93 #555681 08/01/13 02:16 PM
Rcaman, since I work in IT the bag does not get carried around daily, just when I have to do wiring at work (rare) or any side jobs that come up.
I admit that it is a bit heavy (okay, a lot!) but I like to have everything with me!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
93mdk93 #555728 08/02/13 08:32 AM
OK, though also a former Ma Bell guy and agree with what's being said, that's for another topic. Anyone who would like can open one up.

Let's give this topic on "Favorite Tools" back.

Thanks all

Retired phone dude
93mdk93 #555751 08/02/13 05:13 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
A new topic has been opened in the Telecom Service Providers forum. The 2 posts have been moved there.

I Love FEATURE 00
93mdk93 #555986 08/08/13 01:31 AM
Vancouver had a screwdriver mfg right in town. The screwdriver has multiple tips and they come in a nice variety of sizes. https://www.picquic.com/

surdel #556000 08/08/13 10:38 AM
I carry a small pouch and it does 95% of the service I get called for. All of the screwdrivers are magnetized.
I can fix most printers, computer's and do basic data and telecom with this.

A fluke 66/110 punch,
a long shaft #2,
a Stubby#2,
a 4" #1,
a 4" 3/16 flat
magnetic 1/4 bit driver w/ bits in a case,
Klein scotch-lock pliers,
Klein scissors,
Klein 11 in 1,
A sharpie,
roll of tape
two AA batteries(camera spares), a 9v battery
a small plastic bag with lint free Alcohol pads, and some bandaids reside in the bottom.

There is some of the normal bottom of the bag junk as well. I try to keep some scotchlocks, a few screws, some screw downs, and an 8p8c and 6p6c jack. a few thin 4" zipties, a small roll of hookloop, and a folded up 4' of cross connect.

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,292
Posts638,824
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,490 Shoretel
189,244 CTX100 install
187,585 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024